Spotlight on Jeremy Johnson

StatTiger

One way that would give Gus a better indication would be to take the colored jersey off of JJ (make him live in terms of being hit) every scrimmage and have the D throw the book at him every time there is live action. Put him under real pressure. Based on what I have read, that did not happen last year.

wde

I doubt that will ever happen but I agree it would probably be beneficial (provided the d doesn't destroy one of our own) especially given that he knows the plays better than other qb's, at least I have to imagine w/ him having been at Au for so long.

The potential of getting hurt would be the risk that you would have to take with JJ at this point I believe. Of course, no one should want or try to do that, but to send JJ on the field against Clemson without a better evaluation than he received in 2015 would just be dumb on Gus' part. That is assuming JJ outperforms SW and JFIII

wde

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with Jeremy winning the QB position is that he has issues when the lights come on and he is the man. So, no matter how good he looks between now and next season, can Gus confidently send him out as the starter against Clemson. I, personally would be happy to see Jeremy become the QB we expected him to be but that would be a tough call in the season opener against the potential #1 team in the country

One way that would give Gus a better indication would be to take the colored jersey off of JJ (make him live in terms of being hit) every scrimmage and have the D throw the book at him every time there is live action. Put him under real pressure. Based on what I have read, that did not happen last year.

wde

I am pretty sure no one lets their QB go live in practice. To assume that this would help Jeremy is to assume that his problem is fear of contact or something. Jeremy has played a lot of football. He has most likely been hit a time or two. IMO, Jeremy's issue is simply about melting down under the pressure of being THE man in actual live game situations. There is absolutely no way to replicate that in practice.

I'm pretty sure we put our QBs live during NM's first fall practice

I suspect there will more live QB practice that what there was. I think it's a good idea if you aren't sure what you have. And I don't think it's fear of contact that's the issue, it's just a better representation of game day stress. Sort of like walking a wire without the safety net.

I suspect there will more live QB practice that what there was. I think it's a good idea if you aren't sure what you have. And I don't think it's fear of contact that's the issue, it's just a better representation of game day stress. Sort of like walking a wire without the safety net.

I think it is some of both in Jeremy's case and they are tied together. If you know you are not going to get hit in practice it is easy to focus even under pressure because you know are going to be ruled down before you get touched.

wde

I think it is some of both in Jeremy's case and they are tied together. If you know you are not going to get hit in practice it is easy to focus even under pressure because you know are going to be ruled down before you get touched.

wde

Well, based on my personal experience, it's hard for me to imagine anyone succeeding in High School football who is "afraid" of contact.

The key in any sport is to achieve a zen-like state of mind, which slows the action down. Achieving that state is the issue. Fear is one of the things that must be neutralized, but that is very basic. Fear is not likely to be an issue for a successful high school player.

wde

Well, based on my personal experience, it's hard for me to imagine anyone succeeding in High School football who is "afraid" of contact.

The key in any sport is to achieve a zen-like state of mind, which slows the action down. Achieving that state is the issue. Fear is one of the things that must be neutralized, but that is very basic. Fear is not likely to be an issue for a successful high school player.

some of us misused the word " fear" or " scared" to describe him.

I am of the opinion that Jeremy tried to hard to live up to the hype of last preseason, trying too hard too please his coaches and the masses rather than doing what he had always done. He had always concentrated on the flow of the game, adjusting to what the defenses gave him and being Jeremy. The expectations overcame Jeremy early last year. Gus/Rhett, the two-headed monster, was embarrassed by the interceptions and indecision and over reacted. The Jeremy that you saw late in the season and in the bowl game was a young man regaining his confidence and theirs. No matter what takes place this season, last year turned into a learning situation for both Jeremy and our offensive staff. For the coaches, I believe the lesson to be learned was quit looking in the mirror and thinking I have arrived and how smart I am, instead, this is still a journey and I will always be learning. For Jeremy, I should always play within myself using my God given talents for my team and never again listen to the hype or buy into it. Just my humble opinion. WDE and IGTBAAT

The scared stuff is over the top imo. Especially when that comes from people who didn't even play....

Scared may be the wrong term, but what do you do you think contributed to the implosion JJ had this past season when the actually games started? Nerves, anxiousness?

Whatever we want to call it, if JJ is to earn the starting job for 2016, then Gus needs to figure out a way to put him in a game type situation to get JJ's head right before the real games actually start.

wde

Scared or fear isn't the description I would use for JJ. Guts and heart or lack there of is how I would describe him. It takes a special amount of "heart" to stand in the pocket and take a shot to get a good throw down field. It's gonna happen 6-7 a game that you are going to get "rushed" and possibly take on on the chin. JJ panics and loses his sights and bearings on what going on around him. Even though he's a big dude he plays soft.

The scared stuff is over the top imo. Especially when that comes from people who didn't even play....

Scared may be the wrong term, but what do you do you think contributed to the implosion JJ had this past season when the actually games started? Nerves, anxiousness?

Whatever we want to call it, if JJ is to earn the starting job for 2016, then Gus needs to figure out a way to put him in a game type situation to get JJ's head right before the real games actually start.

wde

I think when he got off to the bad start it kept piling on and the pressure kept mounting then he was so focused on not making mistakes he second guessed everything and just not playing. Now mind you it's something every other qb must go through so it's no excuse but that's what I think happened. Then when you start doing the swap qb stuff confidence will be shot. Imo pulling him that Georgia game was a horrible decision.

But the literal scared to get tackled thing is just non sense to me. I think he's more scared about turning the ball over more than anything. But that's just my opinion of course I don't know anymore than anybody else, I just think he's played too much football to be scared of getting hit, think it would have showed up somewhere before now.

I also think that most confuse lack of production with fear and heart and all that stuff. But that's also just me

wde

I think when he got off to the bad start it kept piling on and the pressure kept mounting then he was so focused on not making mistakes he second guessed everything and just not playing. Now mind you it's something every other qb must go through so it's no excuse but that's what I think happened. Then when you start doing the swap qb stuff confidence will be shot. Imo pulling him that Georgia game was a horrible decision.

But the literal scared to get tackled thing is just non sense to me. I think he's more scared about turning the ball over more than anything. But that's just my opinion of course I don't know anymore than anybody else, I just think he's played too much football to be scared of getting hit, think it would have showed up somewhere before now.

I also think that most confuse lack of production with fear and heart and all that stuff. But that's also just me

agree about Uga game but we left him in too long at LSU.

wde

Agree. Good post.

wde

This ^.

Breakdowns in execution are typically due to trying too hard. The best performances come from resisting the impulse to force or "will" the execution and simply allowing it to happen. When you are in the zone, you don't have to think about what to do, you just allow it to happen while enjoying it. Everything slows down. All of your mental energy is focused on the situation (or the ball in Tennis), you aren't thinking about how to respond to it. If you have prepared properly, your body and muscles know what to do without you having to direct them. It's a Zen thing.

See "The Inner Game of Tennis" by Timothy Gallwey

I am of the opinion that Jeremy tried to hard to live up to the hype of last preseason, trying too hard too please his coaches and the masses rather than doing what he had always done. He had always concentrated on the flow of the game, adjusting to what the defenses gave him and being Jeremy. The expectations overcame Jeremy early last year. Gus/Rhett, the two-headed monster, was embarrassed by the interceptions and indecision and over reacted. The Jeremy that you saw late in the season and in the bowl game was a young man regaining his confidence and theirs. No matter what takes place this season, last year turned into a learning situation for both Jeremy and our offensive staff. For the coaches, I believe the lesson to be learned was quit looking in the mirror and thinking I have arrived and how smart I am, instead, this is still a journey and I will always be learning. For Jeremy, I should always play within myself using my God given talents for my team and never again listen to the hype or buy into it. Just my humble opinion. WDE and IGTBAAT

Just hope everyone actually learned something valuable from the opportunity.

It's difficult for me to forget that awful interview he gave after the LSU loss just prior to being benched for SW- it really made me wonder if anything at all was going on inside that noggin' of his, that combined with at times what were absolutely bizarre interceptions. However he did come in late in the season against a&m & memphis in which he showed a few flashes after we had those teams absolutely reeling. Gosh i don't know if i can cast my lot w/ him but I hope he works out whatever the internal issue is.

wde

Agree. Good post.

What y'all said.

It's difficult for me to forget that awful interview he gave after the LSU loss just prior to being benched for SW- it really made me wonder if anything at all was going on inside that noggin' of his, that combined with at times what were absolutely bizarre interceptions. However he did come in late in the season against a&m & memphis in which he showed a few flashes after we had those teams absolutely reeling. Gosh i don't know if i can cast my lot w/ him but I hope he works out whatever the internal issue is.

he is not a great interviewer anyway. He just had a horrible game that was not all on him and a reporter who seems like he hates auburn. I give him a pass on that interview. I never detected a bad attitude. He got upset when he was pulled out of the bowl but I think it was just built up emotions.

I don't understand how many other teams are able to develop HS QBs but nearly every QB we get that's not from JUCO seems to have a melt down. JJ definitely isn't the first. To be fair, Nick was nowhere near Cam's talent, and across the board, JF3 is rated very similarly to him (both 4*s on ESPN, NM 4*/JF3 3* on 247, NM 3*/JF3 4* on Rivals). For whatever reason, it seems like Gus needs a JUCO QB. The question is, when are we actually going to develop a HS QB?

he is not a great interviewer anyway. He just had a horrible game that was not all on him and a reporter who seems like he hates auburn. I give him a pass on that interview. I never detected a bad attitude. He got upset when he was pulled out of the bowl but I think it was just built up emotions.

James Crepea is one sorry little P.O.S.

James Crepea is one sorry little P.O.S.

I just went back and rewatched it. It's not fair to pronounce judgments against the young man based on one interview & i wasn't trying to do that but I honestly thought the questions were refreshing and actually poignant & pertinent @the time but was probably way to soon after the loss. JJ did not have a bad attitude by any means so I should give him a pass as well. I really hope he can do it next year, I really hope so!

Archived