Spotlight on Jeremy Johnson

StatTiger

It's difficult for me to forget that awful interview he gave after the LSU loss just prior to being benched for SW- it really made me wonder if anything at all was going on inside that noggin' of his, that combined with at times what were absolutely bizarre interceptions. However he did come in late in the season against a&m & memphis in which he showed a few flashes after we had those teams absolutely reeling. Gosh i don't know if i can cast my lot w/ him but I hope he works out whatever the internal issue is.

he is not a great interviewer anyway. He just had a horrible game that was not all on him and a reporter who seems like he hates auburn. I give him a pass on that interview. I never detected a bad attitude. He got upset when he was pulled out of the bowl but I think it was just built up emotions.

I think he's a pretty good interviewer, not my fave but not horrible. I just don't know how he was supposed to answer that question. He answered it the way he did and people had a problem, if he would have said he's not getting pulled he would be arrogant and oblivious, he says he has a problem with it then it's media saying he has friction with his coaches, he's a cancer in the locker room, a time bomb, and it's insubordination

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's difficult for me to forget that awful interview he gave after the LSU loss just prior to being benched for SW- it really made me wonder if anything at all was going on inside that noggin' of his, that combined with at times what were absolutely bizarre interceptions. However he did come in late in the season against a&m & memphis in which he showed a few flashes after we had those teams absolutely reeling. Gosh i don't know if i can cast my lot w/ him but I hope he works out whatever the internal issue is.

he is not a great interviewer anyway. He just had a horrible game that was not all on him and a reporter who seems like he hates auburn. I give him a pass on that interview. I never detected a bad attitude. He got upset when he was pulled out of the bowl but I think it was just built up emotions.

James Crepea is one sorry little P.O.S.

I just went back and rewatched it. It's not fair to pronounce judgments against the young man based on one interview & i wasn't trying to do that but I honestly thought the questions were refreshing and actually poignant & pertinent @the time but was probably way to soon after the loss. JJ did not have a bad attitude by any means so I should give him a pass as well. I really hope he can do it next year, I really hope so!

That's a thoughtful and respectable response, and I likewise don't judge the reporter on that interview alone. He's been lobbing grenades at the program ever since Gus no-showed an event in Montgomery a couple years ago. It wouldn't be such an affront if he weren't our beat writer.

Sorry for the threadjack. I hope JJ shocks the world.

I

I think he's a pretty good interviewer, not my fave but not horrible. I just don't know how he was supposed to answer that question. He answered it the way he did and people had a problem, if he would have said he's not getting pulled he would be arrogant and oblivious, he says he has a problem with it then it's media saying he has friction with his coaches, he's a cancer in the locker room, a time bomb, and it's insubordination

yeah i was being unnecessarily tough on him.. sorry fellahs.

thanks mcloofus ^ had to save myself before getting totally lambasted !

i was not a fair question at that time. I think his intention was that he would not react negatively to a change. Then it was implied that he didn't care. Crepa was looking for controversy. I would try to oust him.

I

yeah i was being unnecessarily tough on him.. sorry fellahs.

thanks mcloofus ^ had to save myself before getting totally lambasted !

Wasn't talking about you brother I was speaking more generally. But speak your mind bro, your opinion is just as important as ours

i was not a fair question at that time. I think his intention was that he would not react negatively to a change. Then it was implied that he didn't care. Crepa was looking for controversy. I would try to oust him.

Crepa even revisited it later in the season and I'm paraphrasing a little but he pretty much said people tried to act as if JJ's response didn't mean anything but it was telling and meant alot....crepa's Twitter says he's the my cousin vinny of the SEC...He doesn't want to be here and he somewhat looks down on southerners imo.

Did JJ start the entire game against A&m? for some reason i thought the came in periodically.

Edit: apparently he did & we also ran the ball a whopping 52x's for 311 yards! love it when we man up and run it down a teams throat.

Did JJ start the entire game against A&m? for some reason i thought the came in periodically.

He started and finished it. SW didn't play at all

I'm pretty sure we put our QBs live during NM's first fall practice

We did, however under different circumstances that made it a necessity to do so. His first practice was in fall camp. With such a limited time to evaluate, it was worth the risk to go live in practice. The thought is usually that enough of a determination can be made without going live if all players involved in a competition go through spring ball. That is obviously debatable.

Crepa even revisited it later in the season and I'm paraphrasing a little but he pretty much said people tried to act as if JJ's response didn't mean anything but it was telling and meant alot....crepa's Twitter says he's the my cousin vinny of the SEC...He doesn't want to be here and he somewhat looks down on southerners imo.

I haven't re watched the interview and probably won't but I remember feeling so bad for Jeremy. He seemed to be about as low as he could be and was trying to deal with it like a man and even do interviews when I'm sure he could have declined. Meanwhile, this piece of crap reporter keeps needling him with questions that basically amount to "hey Jeremy, why do you think you suck so bad?" I really felt like someone should have pulled Jeremy away and told Creepea where he could go, but maybe I'm being overly sensitive. If JJ were my child someone would have got punched in the face.

I'm pretty sure we put our QBs live during NM's first fall practice

We did, however under different circumstances that made it a necessity to do so. His first practice was in fall camp. With such a limited time to evaluate, it was worth the risk to go live in practice. The thought is usually that enough of a determination can be made without going live if all players involved in a competition go through spring ball. That is obviously debatable.

I was under the impression that at that point in NM's career he probably didn't do that great unless he was running around making plays (which he wouldn't if he was in a non-contact jersey) and the staff wanted to give him every opportunity to win the job because that is why they brought him in. And with JJ allegedly being a practice all-star I can see how they wanted to take a look at NM's strengths...really just my own conjecture though I have no insider knowledge

I remember in one of nm earlier games, maybe around the third one they said Gus had challenged Nick to run more and make plays with his legs more. I think one of the biggest hurdles of an athletic qb is them trying so hard to prove they don't have to rely on their legs that they stop.

I remember in one of nm earlier games, maybe around the third one they said Gus had challenged Nick to run more and make plays with his legs more. I think one of the biggest hurdles of an athletic qb is them trying so hard to prove they don't have to rely on their legs that they stop.

Yes x 10

Lets say we run an average of 75 plays per game of which I could be way wrong on this total. Let's just roll with this number. For JJ to be highly effective, he should run at least 8-10 times per game with let's say a total of 65 yards. In the ratio using 75 plays per game, would a total of 42 run plays and 33 passing plays be a good number that would give us a great chance to win games?. If we could average 465 yards per game or more, we should be fine in most games.

The scared stuff is over the top imo. Especially when that comes from people who didn't even play....

I totally agree

Comments likely coming from the same people who kept complaining about OMac running out of bounds ....rather than taking a full on hit by some guy who outweighed him by 35-40 pounds....must have been scared also.... :dunno: .

JJ had no business for giving that interview. I am disappointed that he was allowed to do so.

JJ had no business for giving that interview. I am disappointed that he was allowed to do so.

Agree....very bad coaching decision. Hoping Gus is more controlling on media contacts this year....

Agree....very bad coaching decision. Hoping Gus is more controlling on media contacts this year....

Embarrassingly bad. Can't help but speculate about what other areas of development and support have been neglected?

I would honestly prefer our players weren't made available to comment.

I would honestly prefer our players weren't made available to comment.

Especially putting a player who had a bad game in front of the media....this is not the NFL and there is no requirement that players have to meet with the press after a game.

People keep pointing out that Gus is a relatively new and inexperienced coach.....as an excuse for doing what I might call ..."unwise" things. JMO but it's time to get over that now.

...based on my personal experience, it's hard for me to imagine anyone succeeding in High School football who is "afraid" of contact.

The key in any sport is to achieve a zen-like state of mind, which slows the action down. Achieving that state is the issue. Fear is one of the things that must be neutralized, but that is very basic. Fear is not likely to be an issue for a successful high school player.

You're onto something with this. If a person has to think about what they are doing, they are not doing that thing as well as they might. It has to be on "automatic" and in the range of doing without thinking, i.e. like a state of zen.

An example from my own life goes back to the days when I used to head to the North Georgia mountains to ride motorcycles with friends. We went for the twisties, for the thrill of going insanely fast. There were days that we went where I worked really, really hard to go fast, thinking about everything I had to do. Clutch. Throttle. Shift. Brake. Stay in the powerband. Accelerate from the apex. And those were the days when I was slooowwwww, and at the end of the ride, just drained. Then there were days where time just seemed to run the way cold molasses pours and I didn't think about anything I was doing, it all just flowed as though lost in meditation. And those were the days when I flew, and at the end of the ride felt exhilarated and refreshed.

When people talk about "the light coming on" for a QB, I think it's probably a similar thing. The light may come on for JJ yet. The problem for me with the motorcycle thing was that there were times that the light was "on" and there were (mostly) times that it didn't come on at all. I never got to the point that I was in command of it.

I think back to how JJ looked in his appearances in 2014 like when starting against Arkansas. In 2014, JJ didn't have the same pressure he did when he became the full time starter. He knew it wasn't all on his shoulders then. And he looked very comfortable, as though his light was "on." If he can just get really comfortable, get to the point where it's all on automatic, he may yet be the QB everyone (coaches, analysts and fans alike) hoped he would be.

...based on my personal experience, it's hard for me to imagine anyone succeeding in High School football who is "afraid" of contact.

The key in any sport is to achieve a zen-like state of mind, which slows the action down. Achieving that state is the issue. Fear is one of the things that must be neutralized, but that is very basic. Fear is not likely to be an issue for a successful high school player.

You're onto something with this. If a person has to think about what they are doing, they are not doing that thing as well as they might. It has to be on "automatic" and in the range of doing without thinking, i.e. like a state of zen.

An example from my own life goes back to the days when I used to head to the North Georgia mountains to ride motorcycles with friends. We went for the twisties, for the thrill of going insanely fast. There were days that we went where I worked really, really hard to go fast, thinking about everything I had to do. Clutch. Throttle. Shift. Brake. Stay in the powerband. Accelerate from the apex. And those were the days when I was slooowwwww, and at the end of the ride, just drained. Then there were days where time just seemed to run the way cold molasses pours and I didn't think about anything I was doing, it all just flowed as though lost in meditation. And those were the days when I flew, and at the end of the ride felt exhilarated and refreshed.

When people talk about "the light coming on" for a QB, I think it's probably a similar thing. The light may come on for JJ yet. The problem for me with the motorcycle thing was that there were times that the light was "on" and there were (mostly) times that it didn't come on at all. I never got to the point that I was in command of it.

I think back to how JJ looked in his appearances in 2014 like when starting against Arkansas. In 2014, JJ didn't have the same pressure he did when he became the full time starter. He knew it wasn't all on his shoulders then. And he looked very comfortable, as though his light was "on." If he can just get really comfortable, get to the point where it's all on automatic, he may yet be the QB everyone (coaches, analysts and fans alike) hoped he would be.

Jake Coker is a good example. Many UAT fans thought he would be their savior when he came to their team for the 2014 season and he was beat out by Blake Sims, a player who had been moved around to multiple positions. At this point Coker appeared to be a failure and overrated. He came back the next season and earned the respect of the players, leading UAT to another National Championship. He did not put up record breaking numbers but certainly played very well in their critical games.

Jake Coker is a good example. Many UAT fans thought he would be their savior when he came to their team for the 2014 season and he was beat out by Blake Sims, a player who had been moved around to multiple positions. At this point Coker appeared to be a failure and overrated. He came back the next season and earned the respect of the players, leading UAT to another National Championship. He did not put up record breaking numbers but certainly played very well in their critical games.

Jake Coker didn't flail and fail.... he was beat out... meaning he never took center stage for all the world to see.

While Jeremy Johnson had a shot and proved to be a dismal if not historical failure.

He never established any type of dominant play and given last years fiasco... (IMO).... the guy would have to be way better than another QB to get the nod. Not simply be somewhat better like Coker had to be. Again my opinion (2cents) he'd have to not only overcome and improve, but completely overwhelm his competition. Because any repeat of last year would hurt not only staff and team, but also the future of the program. It could quickly become more than just about Jeremy. Would I pull for him if he's given the nod...HELL YES.... however I don't see him being exponentially good enough to risk a second season on. The bar has got to be raised higher for him in 2016 than for any of the other QB.

Archived