Offensive Comparison

StatTiger

Sure, 2013 was really good, but even though we won the SEC, Gus didn't win the national championship. After all, isn't that what we're paying him millions to do. Not just to beat Alabama every few years.

Actually he is being paid millions to field very competitive teams and 2013 clearly meets that criteria. This is why their on bonuses within his contract should he win championships.

adding all coaches are getting paid and only one can win it all.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, 2013 was really good, but even though we won the SEC, Gus didn't win the national championship. After all, isn't that what we're paying him millions to do. Not just to beat Alabama every few years.

Actually he is being paid millions to field very competitive teams and 2013 clearly meets that criteria. This is why there on bonuses within his contract should he win championships.

Very well said Stat and I think too many forget this. Even this year (that many say didn't go so well), we were competitive in most every game. While we did lose more than we wanted to the coach still had his team ready to play. With the obvious exception of the kick in the teeth from the Corndogs.

Actually he is being paid millions to field very competitive teams and 2013 clearly meets that criteria. This is why there on bonuses within his contract should he win championships.

Very well said Stat and I think too many forget this. Even this year (that many say didn't go so well), we were competitive in most every game. While we did lose more than we wanted to the coach still had his team ready to play. With the obvious exception of the kick in the teeth from the Corndogs.

Competitive in terms of wins and loses. Losing close games and finishing 6-6 again is not being the type of competitive Gus is getting paid to achieve.

wde

Stat, what's your take on the effect the hiring of Coach Hand will have on the O next season?

I thought Grimes was a very good OL coach but Hand gives AU an added dimension because of his experience of coordinating offenses and organizing more than just an OL. He should help revamp the run-offense and worked very well with Gus at Tulsa. Like Grimes, he is a player's coach and a very good recruiter.

Stat, what's your take on the effect the hiring of Coach Hand will have on the O next season?

I thought Grimes was a very good OL coach but Hand gives AU an added dimension because of his experience of coordinating offenses and organizing more than just an OL. He should help revamp the run-offense and worked very well with Gus at Tulsa. Like Grimes, he is a player's coach and a very good recruiter.

Good to hear, thanks!

^^This^^ is huge imo

^^This^^ is huge imo

I agree. But, since his shared experience with Gus was at Tulsa, I was sort of wondering whether Stat thought that might influence the sort of analysis he gave in this thread. In a way, oversimplified to be sure,the comparison was between the sort of offense Gus ran at Tulsa and what he ran with Cam/Nick.

!!!! This!

^^This^^ is huge imo

Is our current OC up for someone other than himself giving Gus advice on running the O or will our current OC listen to anyone's input other than Gus'?

wde

So you think Herb will have a hand in the offense next year?

certainly

No doubt

No doubt

I cant put my finger on it but something has me believing that next year we'll be gripping the ball better, our offensive line will have a great palm strikes, and everyone will have a better grasp of what it takes to have a championship level running game. It's going to be a white knuckle thrill ride on offense.

Stat, to be fair you need throw out the outliers, best/worst.

Or week look at the fact of the matter and notice that 2 out of the three years Malzahn has had a true Dual-Threat Quarterback, we've been to a national championship. Basically, the point of this is to let us all know that Auburn is purdy good with a DTQB. Nice job, Stat

Does anyone know the forty speeds of JJ & SW? If I had to guess, I would give JJ in the 4.8 range and SW 4.9. I might be way off, but I think I am very closed.

I think a speed of 4.65 or better should be what we would want in a QB.

Does anyone know the forty speeds of JJ & SW? If I had to guess, I would give JJ in the 4.8 range and SW 4.9. I might be way off, but I think I am very closed.

I don't know the numbers, but I know Jeremy is pretty fast once he gets to speed, he just has no real lateral ability or acceleration, at least not that he's shown. I doubt Sean can brag about his speed.

No doubt

I cant put my finger on it but something has me believing that next year we'll be gripping the ball better, our offensive line will have a great palm strikes, and everyone will have a better grasp of what it takes to have a championship level running game. It's going to be a white knuckle thrill ride on offense.

I bet you're the life of a party!

^^This^^ is huge imo

Is our current OC up for someone other than himself giving Gus advice on running the O or will our current OC listen to anyone's input other than Gus'?

wde

Well it really doesn't matter whether he's up for it or not. Personally I doubt there will be a problem. Herb will be giving his input to Gus. Gus knows him and, I believe, trusts him to give him valuable information.

I don't know the numbers, but I know Jeremy is pretty fast once he gets to speed, he just has no real lateral ability or acceleration, at least not that he's shown. I doubt Sean can brag about his speed.

neither are blazing fast. it is more important to know when to take off and start quick. i think SW has the advantage there. he just don't need to get hit too much. JJ looks very durable.

Archived