Antoine Smith

gabe_96

I know I am a total tool for hanging the words of 18 year old kids friends, but I'm excited that we may have a very good chance of landing Antoine Smith....according to the article on rivals..his miami commited friend thinks antoine is leaning toward auburn although he still is going on trips to the big florida schools...the guy seems like a reggie bush, carnell williams type recruit...it would be cool if we got him.

It also said in that article that he might go to mighty Florida Atlantic. If he's as good as they say he is, I really hope he doesn't go to the mighty Sun Belt Conference, or should I say North Texas and Troy and not much 'mo!

it doesn't say anything about florida atlantic. I just hope he doesnt follow his friend to miami. he looks like a great back and I know we could use him in the coming years.

We really need this guy because we have to get a big time back. The only back that I have any confidence in that we have is Tre Smith. Carl Stewart did not impress me that much this season. You could tell a big difference when Ronnie and Carnell were out.

Certainly, Carnell and Ronnie were special backs but I'd say Stewart is easily on par with the way Ronnie was running as a freshman. In fact, CS probably has gotten a bit more experience at this point in his career. I think you'll see a huge difference in him when he gets his reps behind the number one OL. He got some PT but was rarely used as the first option at RB. The coaches rave about him so I trust he'll do some great things.

We really need this guy because we have to get a big time back.  The only back that I have any confidence in that we have is Tre Smith.  Carl Stewart did not impress me that much this season.  You could tell a big difference when Ronnie and Carnell were out.

137861[/snapback]

I actually think Carl Stewart and Tre Smith are going to be good given the opportunity to play with plays designed for their strengths...The offense looked bad when they were in because we played so conservative by the time they got in the game... when ronnie and carnell were in they had plays and coherent series designed for them. tre is hard to tackle a very squirmy back adn Carl is talented in his own rirght but Antoien smith would be big for the program in general and we need him there so that we can keep the talented depth that we had this year...to me junior and carlos are the most difficult to replace...the bear said that he analysed a team coming into a new year he always looked at the defensive backfield first...if he had strong experince returning he thought he had an opportuniy for a good year...he would have been right on this year...and he would have seen one of our weaknesses last year as we had returning linebackers but were a little iffy in the secondary having to move junior to corner etc and go with very green safeties...that wasn't ideal

I disagree with the statement that Stewart wasn't impressive. We are loaded at RB. I'm not sure, but I think we have two Mr. Football's in our depth chart. Stewart was Tennessee's and I think either Watson or Irons was too. Carl Stewart is a strong runner...reminds me of Stephen Davis or James Bostic. He only came in when we were up comfortably and was running behind the 2nd string O-line.

That's what the majority of the country doesn't realize when they make their 2005 predictions....we have tons of talent behind Carnell and Ronnie. Auburn is back to being Running Back U....not too mention becoming Linebacker U. That's why Antoine's looking at us. He realizes we may have two RB's go in the top 10 of the NFL draft. I just hope he's not too big a thug.

I know this is a running-back thread, but the upcoming suspect defensive secondary could be a nightmare.

137870[/snapback]

There are some gaps to fill...but AU has always had a good defense year in and year out. They'll fill the gaps. David Irons will hopefully get to suit up finally, Pitts and Herring haven't had too bad a year. I know they got burned, but someone had too. Herring is great against the run and he's only a Sophomore. They were young this year and only got better. Tony Bell is there and I know they're recruiting some good DBs. :au:

I think Lorenzo Ferguson will step in and contribute right away. He's an impressive looking kid and CTT spoke real highly of him when they signed him late.

One thing I think you have to consider as a help to our secondary is the amount of pressure we will be able to bring next year. If the QB is constatntly under the gun, the DB's aren't put on the spot all the time. Just think what we can bring with McClover, Groves, Gunn, Browder etc, from the end. Man, I'm gettin' worked up for some football. How many days?

We really need this guy because we have to get a big time back.  The only back that I have any confidence in that we have is Tre Smith.  Carl Stewart did not impress me that much this season.  You could tell a big difference when Ronnie and Carnell were out.

137861[/snapback]

Two words for you...KENNY IRONS!!! :big::au::homer:

Those who think Carl Stewart wasn't that impressive because of the dropoff obviously don't remember Ronnie's freshman and sophomore years. The dropoff from Rudi to Ronnie was significant. Ronnie was tentative. And early in his soph season, the dropoff from Carnell to Ronnie was equally significant. But as the season went on he picked up on Carnell's running instincts and work ethic and improved greatly so that when Carnell went down, he was ready to go.

Give it a rest on the Stewart wasn't impressive stuff. We haven't seen enough of him yet to know how he's going to be.

The thing is, with Borges system, I don't think you need an All-American, Heisman quality back, just good, competent ones--which we have plenty of. Carnell and Ronnie weren't the keys to our offense the last 2-3 games, just integral parts of a multi-headed monster.

The way Borges spreads the ball around, you need a smoothly functioning team with competence in all positions, not perfection at any one. The most important position in his offense is the Field General, the quarterback--not necessarily for his passing, but for his leadership, play calling and on-the-field smarts. [Fortunately, I think Cox is plenty smart--just might need a little concentated "Borges' Seasoning" this spring.]

That being said, I'd still love to get Antoine!

There are some fun things to consider about Antone Smith and :au: ... Not long after he visited Auburn, a couple of our coaches went back to Ali Sherief's school to talk with him... when they left, there was no :au: scholarship offer for Ali. (I wish I could remember where I read this... but it was somewhere on one of the recruiting websites)... I believe it was the next day (maybe right after the meeting with :au: coaches), that Ali commits to :ua: . Now... why would our coaches meet with Ali to pull an offer after he had been a commit to us for so long? Could it be that Smith has indeed given :au: a private commitment but wants to enjoy the recruitment process as much as possible? This could very well be what is going on...

Antone Smith needs to come to Auburn. Last time a 'back out of FL had this much pub was Emmitt Smith. ( Yeah, he also was Mr Football ). He stayed in state and did ok, but just think of what he could have done with that D and a string of SEC titles from '87 to '89!! No offesne to James Joseph and Stacy Danely, but Emmitt in the AU backfield would have been stellar.

whoever said it was going to be a dogfight at running back next year is right on the money. even without "there's no i in antone" smith, someone is probably going to get moved away from the position. with him, there is no doubt about it. you just don't have room for two juniors, two sophomores, one redshirt freshman, and (possibly) a true freshman all trying to get carries. can't happen, and it won't alleviate since none of them are graduating. someone's going to move to get a shot at touching the ball.

i think carl is right on the course to becoming a james joseph kind of guy. he's not stellar. he's not ronnie or carnell (ronnie never played with rudi by the way. he redshirted that year, and he started the first game of his redshirt freshman year in 2001. he, casinious moore, chris butler, and caddilac split carries that year). he's not as fast as either, but he appears to be solid at everything: pass blocking, run blocking, running, catching. he's going to be on the field.

tre has proved that he can do it in the sec against a dominant defense. if he's 100% healthy, i have no doubt that he'll find carries regardless of who's there. kenny irons looked to be the best of the remaining guys in spring. he looked faster and quicker than carl or tre by a wide margin in my eyes. so i have to believe he's going to be getting the ball while he and tre look like the kind of guys you want dotting the i.

the two freshmen didn't do a thing for me. lester got hurt and i believe ended up redshirting. watson ran like he was a power back with one problem: he doesn't have the size or strength to run people over. i dunno if he could in high school, but he has to learn to make folks miss or he's no good in the backfield. that tells me that antone smith could find a niche as the young guy if he can come in and pick up the pass blocking assignments. tre is versatile enough to play upback or tailback so that would clear space for someone else to get carries back there. plus, what are the odds that we make it through three seasons in a row without an injury in the backfield costing more than a game or so?

for those of you that mentioned Watson, I'm pretty sure he is going to transfer to LSU. I don't think that he is in school this semester, but not completely sure. My friend dated him and i'll ask her about it later and tell you more about it.

Antone Smith needs to come to Auburn.  Last time a 'back  out of FL had this much pub  was Emmitt Smith.  ( Yeah, he also was Mr Football  ). He stayed in state and did ok, but just think of what he could have done with that D and a string of SEC titles from '87 to '89!! No offesne to James Joseph and Stacy Danely, but Emmitt in the AU backfield would have been stellar.

137972[/snapback]

How Ironic it was... It was yet another Florida back, who prevented Emmit from signing with AU. After Emmit's mother heard the news of Brent Fullwood not attending class, she did not want him signing with Auburn.

Archived