Notes on 2016 Counter numbers

ellitor

So we are seriously considering putting 5 or 6 QBs on scholarship? That seems legit. We have depth issues in a few key spots, yet we have 5 or 6 QBs...

It won't be about depth @ QB if we do. It will be about Gus not feeling the current QBs give him the best chance to win.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we are seriously considering putting 5 or 6 QBs on scholarship? That seems legit. We have depth issues in a few key spots, yet we have 5 or 6 QBs...

It won't be about depth @ QB if we do. It will be about Gus not feeling the current QBs give him the best chance to win.

Exactly. Depth doesn't mean jack if it's not quality depth.

I just don't see how the kids would want to stick around through that. I know that wouldn't change our recruiting numbers this season, but it certainly counts towards the overall scholarship count.

This makes me think about Flex, and what he went through. It just seems that's too many for that particular position.

I understand it would be based off CGM not thinking any of our current players or commitments can carry the rock as QB1, but what does that say about CGM, his recruiting decisions, and player development? I have NEVER questioned ANY of those traits of CGM until just now. I mean, if he doesn't think JF3 can do it, why even sign him? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I just don't see how the kids would want to stick around through that. I know that wouldn't change our recruiting numbers this season, but it certainly counts towards the overall scholarship count.

This makes me think about Flex, and what he went through. It just seems that's too many for that particular position.

I understand it would be based off CGM not thinking any of our current players or commitments can carry the rock as QB1, but what does that say about CGM, his recruiting decisions, and player development? I have NEVER questioned ANY of those traits of CGM until just now. I mean, if he doesn't think JF3 can do it, why even sign him? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

maybe you could think of it as hedging a bet

historically it's not AS if every sure thing is as it seems - no names please

maybe you could think of it as hedging a bet

Good point

Thanks for your hard work "E" you always supply us with the most accurate and reliable information.

May I quote you the next time someone claims that we have plenty of linebackers? :devil:

May I quote you the next time someone claims that we have plenty of linebackers? :devil:

You have a point here. Even I am worried about the LBs. It does not matter how many we have on scholly. It's the quality that matters. Other than Tre we really don't know if we have quality.

May I quote you the next time someone claims that we have plenty of linebackers? :devil:/>

Hah! Sure. I might've just been paraphrasing you anyway.

May I quote you the next time someone claims that we have plenty of linebackers? :devil:/>

You have a point here. Even I am worried about the LBs. It does not matter how many we have on scholly. It's the quality that matters. Other than Tre we really don't know if we have quality.

Not trying to stir up the LB conversation but... E you're right, us as fans don't know if we have quality. It is possible that our coaches feel good about the going lbs on the roster. Might not be the case just suggesting it could be. Me personally, I think there are a few that we haven't seen much out of yet that could be quality contributors next season. (McBryde, DW, Davis)

• 5 months later...

don't forget about TJ Neal ;)

don't forget about TJ Neal ;)

Grad transfers like TJ Neal & Marshall Taylor do not count against a team's initial counter list.

Also TJ was not on AU's radar in January at the time of the above quoted posts.

What's crazy is that I look at that list and don't see one player that I think is a liability/will need some time before ready to play

Which is?

I cannot find the 2016 recruiting class information. It used to be right under the recruiting caption. This gave a lot of information about each player. I am still trying to figure out a lot of things with the change over to the new format. 

Thanks

48 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I cannot find the 2016 recruiting class information. It used to be right under the recruiting caption. This gave a lot of information about each player. I am still trying to figure out a lot of things with the change over to the new format. 

Thanks

That's a question for @RunInRed . I did a search & could not find it.

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I am looking for information on Cam Martin. Was he a last minute sign? All I know is that he was a 4 star RB.

18 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I am looking for information on Cam Martin. Was he a last minute sign? All I know is that he was a 4 star RB.

B/T WarEagleAU's leave of absence and the new format, we're going to have to work through a new solution.  But in the meantime, here's the thread on Kam ...

On August 13, 2016 at 4:27 AM, ellitor said:

OP updated RS Fr DT Tyler Carter gets a scholly.

Wow! I'm shocked that we would give this kid a scholarship and give up a spot that we could have rolled over to the 2017 class. Why would we do that?

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Wow! I'm shocked that we would give this kid a scholarship and give up a spot that we could have rolled over to the 2017 class. Why would we do that?

Because he's proven to be really good?

Archived