Auburn's top individual talent on defense (2008-2015)

StatTiger

As a unit, it has been a while since the Auburn defense was considered one of the better defenses in the Southeastern Conference. The last time Auburn possessed a top-20 scoring defense nationally was 2008 (No. 14). 2007 was the last time Auburn had a top-20 total-defense, when they were ranked No. 6. Despite the lack of great "team" defense, Auburn has fielded some of the best individual talent on the field from 2008-2015.

Top 10 percent of the leading tacklers from 2008-2015 in the SEC:

• Johnathan Ford (2015) was No. 21 with 9.08 tackles per game of the 400 leading tacklers in the SEC the last eight seasons.
  • Ford received his fair share of criticism after the LSU game in 2015 but this lone game certainly doesn't reflect what he has accomplished on the field. After being moved to safety in 2014, Ford was the SEC's 13th leading tackler in the SEC. During 2015 Rudy Ford was the 3rd leading tackler in the conference and Auburn's leading tackler the past two seasons. If you combined the total tackles of Eddie Jackson (Alabama) and Dominick Sanders (UGA), the two 1st-team All-SEC safeties combined for 94 tackles during 2015, while Rudy Ford had 118 during 2015.
  • IMO, Ford deserved to be 2nd-team All-SEC this past season. He finished the season with 118 tackles, 2 interceptions (1TD), 2 passes defended, 3 TFL, 2 forced-fumbles and was No.2 in the SEC in kick-returns. He led Auburn in tackles 11 times the past two seasons and should be one of the top defenders in 2016.

Top 10 percent of the leading tacklers at the LB position from 2008-2015:

• Auburn had zero LB's to make the top-10 percent of the 203 tacklers (LB's) from 2008-2015. Interesting enough, Alabama had zero as well. C.J. Mosley (2013) of Alabama was the highest rated Alabama LB at No. 37. Georgia led the conference with 5 appearances, followed by Kentucky with 4. eek.gif
  • Josh Bynes (2009) and Daren Bates (2011) were tied at No. 44 in the SEC among Auburn's LB's, which played them in the top 20 percent. Daren Bates (2012) also appeared at No. 50 and Kris Frost (2015) finished at No. 68 among the 203 SEC Linebackers.

Top 10 percent of the leaders in TFL from 2008-2015 in the SEC:

• Nick Fairley (2010) was No. 3 with 1.71 TFL per game among the 400 SEC players.
  • Antonio Coleman (2009) was No. 20 with 1.27 TFL per game.
  • Dee Ford (2013) was No. 26 with 1.21 TFL per game.
  • Corey Lemonier (2011) barely missed being in the top 10 percent, finishing at No. 49 with 1.04 TFL game among the 400 SEC defenders.

Antonio Coleman (2008) did make the top 25 percent of the 400 SEC defenders with 10.5 TFL in 11 games. Sen'Derrick Marks (2008) also finished in the top 25 percent with 10 TFL in 11 games. Cassanova McKinzy (2014) finished just outside the top 25 percent with 11 TFL in 13 games, followed by 10 TFL in 13 games during 2015. McKinzy led Auburn in tackles in 12 games during his career.

Top 10 percent of sacks from 2008-2015:

• Dee Ford (2013) was No. 9 with 10.5 sacks in 12 games among the 400 SEC players.
  • Nick Fairley (2010) was No. 12 with 11.5 sacks in 14 games.
  • Antonio Coleman (2009) was No. 17 with 10 sacks in 13 games.
  • Corey Lemonier (2011) was No. 24 with 9.5 sacks in 13 games.
  • Antonio Coleman (2008) and Dee Ford (2012) barely missed making the top 10 percent, tied at No. 46 with 6 sacks in 11 games each.

Top 10 percent of passes defended from 2008-2015:

• Jonathan Jones (2014) No. 4 with 18 passes defended in 13 games among the 400 SEC players.
  • Walter McFadden (2009) No. 12 with 16 passes defended in 13 games.
  • Chris Davis (2013) No. 17 with 14 passes defended in 12 games.
  • Jonathan Jones (2015) No. 25 with 14 passes defended in 13 games.
  • Jonathan Mincy (2013) No. 31 with 15 passes defended in 14 games.
  • Blake Countess (2015) No. 33 with 13 passes in 13 games.

Back in 2012, Jonathan Jones was a 3-star recruit, ranked No. 38 at his position coming out of high school. Walter McFadden, Chris Davis and Jonathan Mincy were also 3-star recruits coming out of high school. Carlton Davis will be another Auburn corner to watch out for as his career progresses. His All-SEC (freshman) performances during 2015 comes close to placing him in the top 20 percent of DB's (200 players) from 2012-2015. The combination of Jonathan Jones and Carlton Davis were the primary reason why Auburn improved from No. 52 in pass-efficiency defense in 2014 to No. 31 during 2015.

Thanks for the analysis....looks like some of our players...thinking Jones for example did not get much credit because of playing on mediocre teams.

All this "individual" talent and I haven't seen an elite AU defense in what feels like 10 years.

That's pretty accurate. Just going by memory, I would say 2006 or 2007 was our last really good Defense. 2010 was fantastic in the 2nd half of games but not in the 1st half.

All this "individual" talent and I haven't seen an elite AU defense in what feels like 10 years.

Yep, it's been about 10 years. We're long over due! ;)

There has been some great individual play but the overall 11 on defense has been far from elite in any given year since 2007. The 2010 season was the best DL AU fielded from 2008-2015 and AU was No. 9 against the run that year. It starts up front and Auburn simply hasn't been loaded with elite talent on the DL. Yes, there have been a few but not enough at one time to make a major impact. As much as we rave over Carl Lawson, his best season was 4 sacks thus far because of injuries.

Another component to consider is the caliber of offenses AU is facing now compared to 2006 & 2007. During the 26 games from 2006-2007, Auburn faced only 9 offenses that averaged more than 400-yards per game (34.6%) and only 2 of those 9 averaged more than 450-yards. From 2013-2015, 29 of the 40 opponents faced (72.5%) averaged over 400-yards per game and 16 of them averaged more than 450-yards per game.

It all starts up front and until Auburn can recruit talent and depth at that the DL position to go along with consistent player development, Auburn will continue to struggle on defense.

These are some really interesting stats. This was a lot of work, and I appreciate this very much my friend (amigo). Keep good stuff like this coming!

These are some really interesting stats. This was a lot of work, and I appreciate this very much my friend (amigo). Keep good stuff like this coming!

I've been out of work for almost 2 weeks because of a neck issue (c-7 disc), so I have been occupying my time bu updating my database. :cool:

The neck brace, pain meds and stats helps keep the pain and numbness off my mind.

I've been out of work for almost 2 weeks because of a neck issue (c-7 disc), so I have been occupying my time bu updating my database. :cool:

The neck brace, pain meds and stats helps keep the pain and numbness off my mind.

PBR's always help me deal with neck pains

PBR's always help me deal with neck pains

After I finished a 6 of Michelob and then another 6 of Natty Lite I would be able to appreciate the true flavor of a PBR.

wde

As to the subject....seems that most years we've had a few very good/outstanding players surrounded by a host of middle of the road players....with neither depth or breadth.

I think back to Nick Fairley......when he was in and serious, there was not much the opposition could do about him.....kind of like Lawson except that Lawson has only played a few games but it's a different defense when he is on the field.

NF was a brute and I think most SEC quarterbacks were afraid of him because they knew how rough he could be if he caught up with them. NF had some help on the line but not too much IMO....but he changed the way even good teams like Oregon could run the ball. As for the defensive backfield, most offenses knew who to stay away from and who to pick on. Carlton Davis has tremendous potential and I think opponents are already becoming aware of where he is on the field.

Meanwhile, just hoping we get full seasons out of Lawson and Adams this year.

• 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Bump ... who will be this year' stars?

Fully anticipate this being a longer list than we've had since the Tuberville days. Even better, it will be a nice mix of upper- and under-classmen as well as a nice mix of position groups. We might have NFL talent at all 3 levels. 

Archived