Daily Recruiting News (includes commit times)

ClaytonAU

Wow, what a recruiting move!

UM Coach Harbaugh and his Wolverines will conduct spring training practice in the state of Florida during spring break.. luv that "outside the box", (recruiting) thinking!

I foresee the NCAA creating a "Harbaugh" rule to stop this in the future. Or, are we going to see a move toward NFL type training camps for colleges?

Only if it hurts bama. Otherwise, they'll probably let it slide.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, the turds got (2) great LB's that will sit the bench for 3 years. Could have played here. bummer

And they will develop and learn and then be millionaires very soon. We've got to start developing and putting LB'ers in the league so that our best feature isn't early playing time.

Yep..first step though is win games tomake it more attractive. I feel pretty good about the class. Now just need to put up the W's.

boasting? thats the last thing im doing for the bammers... and this past season was the most they have been on the field their entire season. Besides kick off team.

Yeah, I was over the top with that. My apologies. We might just have different definitions of "ride the bench". If so, my definition isn't any better than yours.

I definitely agree with your point that they would likely play earlier and more often at Auburn. FWIW, we at least genuinely didn't want Wilson.

We had pretty good success with a previous transfer from Illinois. Having that experience in the middle would be great for us with Tre.

Hey Mikey, news you might find interesting!

http://auburn.247spo...-bound-43532203

It's better than nothing, but a graduate transfer is by nature a band aid for a wound that shouldn't be there. Had we shown the slightest interest in one or more of the Alabama high school linebackers that went to other SEC schools and Louisville we might not need a band aid.

Mikey, as much as I agree with your assessment of LB need, I don't know that a true freshman or 2 or 3 would help THIS year. Steele needs the bandaid to develop the 8+ we have on roster now, IMO. Let's give CKS a chance. he might just surprise a lot of us. WDE

Mikey, as much as I agree with your assessment of LB need, I don't know that a true freshman or 2 or 3 would help THIS year. Steele needs the bandaid to develop the 8+ we have on roster now, IMO. Let's give CKS a chance. he might just surprise a lot of us. WDE

I agree he should be a big help for one year. The problem is that there is only ONE true freshman in this class that will be learning the college game in 2016. Then the transfer is finished and we're looking at an even worse situation the following year.

We (the staff) apparently set their hearts on three 5* linebackers and Threat. The 5* guys went elsewhere and we didn't even have a functioning Plan B. That 4* kid from Phenix City that went to MSU for example. He or a similar prospect would look pretty good on the signee list. I don't understand the thinking. People that know me know that I seldom criticize an AU coaching staff but I can't help but think the ball was dropped in regard to LB recruiting in this class.

I agree he should be a big help for one year. The problem is that there is only ONE true freshman in this class that will be learning the college game in 2016. Then the transfer is finished and we're looking at an even worse situation the following year.

We (the staff) apparently set their hearts on three 5* linebackers and Threat. The 5* guys went elsewhere and we didn't even have a functioning Plan B. That 4* kid from Phenix City that went to MSU for example. He or a similar prospect would look pretty good on the signee list. I don't understand the thinking. People that know me know that I seldom criticize an AU coaching staff but I can't help but think the ball was dropped in regard to LB recruiting in this class.

The kid from Phenix City who went to MSU played WR all four years of high school and is a project at MSU.

I have to admit. missing on one from phenix city is tough to swallow. that's in our own back yard. ouch. like I said earlier, I didn't look at any of the profiles of the ones that got away. maybe twill and cks will develop the on-campus group well in the next 6-18 months so the lbs will be serviceable next year and good-to-great in 17. that is my hope at least. wde

The kid from Phenix City who went to MSU played WR all four years of high school and is a project at MSU.

A 4* LB project at AU would be better than an empty locker. Karlos Dansby played WR in high school too. Then there's the kids from Florence to MSU, B'Ham to Florida and Montgomery to Louisville. Are we smarter than all those coaches or did they see something we didn't bother to look for?

Yes, I do think if a LB is good enough for even Louisville then we should have given him some serious consideration. It's not like we were overflowing with better options. Anyone can excuse one of the above four away. Trying to excuse all four away is, well, making excuses for the inexcusable.

Saving slots for next year? Why? This time last year the talk was all about how great our LB recruiting was going to be in the '16 class. All the great prospects in our area, all the LB prospects were were said to be "in on". We ended up with one good prospect in Threat and otherwise a handful of nothin'. Maybe we should start bringing in a few projects and working with them instead of coming up short.

2015 was the only recruiting year in the last six that we get a passing grade on linebackers. At some point this is going to have to be dealt with. A team can't have an outstanding defense without outstanding linebackers. A certain nearby school seems to understand this.

I think we need to see stability at dc before we see quality lb recruiting. maybe cks believes the 8 we have on roster are good quality, and can be molded to fit our needs. I understand not leaving the cupboard bare, but the group we have is fairly young. may have time to bring in and develop more starting next year. the only stable coach we have seen on defense is crg, and we all see how well it has been recruited. improve their play and the lb play will improve too. call me optimistic, but I think we will see a whole lot come together in 2017. for what it's worth, I didn't buy into all of the hype this past preseason.

Mikey, I think you over-stated your point. As a recruiting class, there's no question that the 2010 (Jess Curry 3*, Jake Holland 4*, LaDarious Owens 4*, and Jawara White 3*) and 2011 (Kris Frost 5*, Justin Garrett 3*, and Chris Landrum 3*, and Anthony Swain 3*) classes would have "passing grades."

The problem with those classes were what happened after they were here. Curry got kicked off the team. Owens shifted to DE. White had to give up football. Garrett stayed injured most of his career. Landrum transferred. Holland had a ceiling as a player, and Frost never became a truly dominant or consistent player.

Since then, it's been an undersigning issue (two in 2012, two in 2013 with one JUCO, two in 2014, five in 2015, and only one this year), and we've definitely agreed on that point over the years. From a roster management standpoint, I think we'd like to have 6-7 LBs every two signing classes, which means we're okay in the last two years, especially if Stephen Davis Jr. makes his grades and adds to the class. Still, the problem is the thin upperclass ranks. It's going to take time to dig ourselves out of a hole four years in the making (SERIOUSLY, how do you sign seven LBs TOTAL in a four year stretch?!?).

Mikey, I think you over-stated your point. As a recruiting class, there's no question that the 2010 (Jess Curry 3*, Jake Holland 4*, LaDarious Owens 4*, and Jawara White 3*) and 2011 (Kris Frost 5*, Justin Garrett 3*, and Chris Landrum 3*, and Anthony Swain 3*) classes would have "passing grades."

The problem with those classes were what happened after they were here. Curry got kicked off the team. Owens shifted to DE. White had to give up football. Garrett stayed injured most of his career. Landrum transferred. Holland had a ceiling as a player, and Frost never became a truly dominant or consistent player.

Since then, it's been an undersigning issue (two in 2012, two in 2013 with one JUCO, two in 2014, five in 2015, and only one this year), and we've definitely agreed on that point over the years. From a roster management standpoint, I think we'd like to have 6-7 LBs every two signing classes, which means we're okay in the last two years, especially if Stephen Davis Jr. makes his grades and adds to the class. Still, the problem is the thin upperclass ranks. It's going to take time to dig ourselves out of a hole four years in the making (SERIOUSLY, how do you sign seven LBs TOTAL in a four year stretch?!?).

Well stated. Counting signees then seeing who "stuck around". I think CKS has evaluated and has a plan going forward. We must give him the most precious commodity...Time.

I consider the 2010 class that included Jake Holland, etc., to be a recruiting success. There were four solid prospects in that class. That only one ended up contributing anything of note is a good example of why signing just a couple a year won't work. The class that Frost was in, 2011, I never did like. Frost was still thought of as a receiver when he arrived on campus. Garrett was a 4* on some sites and he was the only one of the four I was impressed with.

We've been doing a lot of swinging for the fences and striking out over the past several years and it shows on the field. Maybe it's time we changed our approach and started trying for some solid stand-up doubles? At least have a suitable backup plan when Mr. High School 5* chooses to go elsewhere.

We've been doing a lot of swinging for the fences and striking out over the past several years and it shows on the field. Maybe it's time we changed our approach and started trying for some solid stand-up doubles? At least have a suitable backup plan when Mr. High School 5* chooses to go elsewhere.

Agreed and that's why we need to do what Garner has done and concentrate on 2-3 of the Top 5 DL from the state of GA because dink has a stranglehold on LBs from AL.

But it obviously takes 2-3 years of building relationships with recruits, so it will take time for our new coaches to build.

That said, what specific areas are Steele and T-Will known for recruiting best?

Archived