Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

8 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Your masturbatory reference reminded me of a bit older, more obscure piece. Though this guy was never influential in much of anything, would it be stretching the conceit beyond breaking point to say he was at least sniffing around the developmental trailhead?

I bet he influenced Trey Anastasio a little bit. 

Oh dear, I just remembered that Mike Gordon toured (and maybe did an album?) with Leo. So not necessarily an influence there, but my ears didn't totally deceive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh dear, I just remembered that Mike Gordon toured (and maybe did an album?) with Leo. So not necessarily an influence there, but my ears didn't totally deceive.

Well I'll almost certainly be damned. Had to Google both names, but that fell squarely into my "Phishing Hole." Mr. Kottke was notoriously picky about who'd he allow to play in the same room with him. Only time I ever saw him, he (as was his wont) performed alone.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Well I'll almost certainly be damned. Had to Google both names, but that fell squarely into my "Phishing Hole." Mr. Kottke was notoriously picky about who'd he allow to play in the same room with him. Only time I ever saw him, he (as was his wont) performed alone.

I flirted with saving you the research, but then couldn't remember how familiar you were and didn't want to overstep.

Didn't know that about Kottke being so picky. Genius is a burden I can't understand...

41 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Your masturbatory reference reminded me of a bit older, more obscure piece. Though this guy was never influential in much of anything, would it be stretching the conceit beyond breaking point to say he was at least sniffing around the developmental trailhead?

Hmm. What would you call that? Progressive folk? :Sing:

It reminds me a lot of the music below. It's a video of one of Robert Fripp's string quintet shows.

He's done some interesting things outside of Crimson. He codified New Standard Tuning, and he used to teach a guitar development course called Guitar Craft. The guys in the video below are part of said League of Crafty Guitarists. The three on the acoustic guitars are the California Guitar Trio. The other fellow, Trey Gunn on the Chapman stick, was a member of Crimson.

Apologies for the quality. It's a VHS rip.

I started on a particular song, but if you go back to the beginning, the first song is Fripp and Gunn playing one of his Soundscapes.

• Like 1

Not a Beatles fan at all but since I posted on another thread I have always like this version....demo.....they were some good song writers

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I flirted with saving you the research, but then couldn't remember how familiar you were and didn't want to overstep.

Didn't know that about Kottke being so picky. Genius is a burden I can't understand...

Best I can tell (though anything I can offer here is second-hand), pickiness wasn't due to his genius but to his ear. Just had a hard time living with anything being even slightly off-pitch. A high-school buddy of mine (french-hornist) later got to sit in with Mr. Kottke because of an ability to bend harmonica notes to fit the chords in an untempered manner. On his live albums (including some cuts I presented back when I first wandered in here), he's often heard making jokes while he finely retunes his guitar between songs. The Mudlark (studio) album is mostly just him and a drummer. Apparently, didn't even like to play against his own singing. Wish I had the Greenhouse album (the first with much vocals) and its cover down here, but it's still in Tloosa; he likened his own voice to (best I can quote) "a frog fart in a swamp," but he apparently realized he had to sing (or, God forbid, let someone else sing) to sell albums.

Re: genius - Saw him in a bar. No not like Golf's celebrity drop ins, but a big place in Lexington, KY with a cover charge. My (now) wife got us a table close enough for me to watch his fingers. I'm (still) only barely about half-smart with the instrument, but the close proximity did me no good at all. Every time I thought I saw a left-hand fingering that looked like a recognizable chord, it was already changing, and the right hand was already picking between which left-hand-stopped strings to switch back and forth through in transitions. There's some of that visible in Mr. Ben's Yvette Young clip above. Inebriation may have played a part, but it was downright dizzying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Hmm. What would you call that? Progressive folk? :Sing:

It reminds me a lot of the music below. It's a video of one of Robert Fripp's string quintet shows.

He's done some interesting things outside of Crimson. He codified New Standard Tuning, and he used to teach a guitar development course called Guitar Craft. The guys in the video below are part of said League of Crafty Guitarists. The three on the acoustic guitars are the California Guitar Trio. The other fellow, Trey Gunn on the Chapman stick, was a member of Crimson.

Apologies for the quality. It's a VHS rip.

I started on a particular song, but if you go back to the beginning, the first song is Fripp and Gunn playing one of his Soundscapes.

Many Thanks. Good stuff. I think I get it. Don't hear as much of the non-standard rhythms as in Ms. Young's piece above, but the internal complexity of rhythms that are there is blow-out apparent. I must look into Crimson?

BTW - Is a Chapman stick that "tapped" 12-string 2x4-looking thing?

I also backtracked to your Soundscapes selection. Would it hurt your feelings if I called it "space music" and looked for it Sunday nights on WBHM? Nothing at all wrong with it, like often sought-after background mood music, but sufficiently structureless to discourage actual listening (at least on my first listen).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Many Thanks. Good stuff. I think I get it. Don't hear as much of the non-standard rhythms as in Ms. Young's piece above, but the internal complexity of rhythms that are there is blow-out apparent. I must look into Crimson?

You've lived a sheltered life if you've managed to avoid King Crimson this long. Progressive rock would not be what it is today without Robert Fripp and King Crimson. The guy is a gem.

Yep. Go look them up.

BTW - Is a Chapman stick that "tapped" 12-string 2x4-looking thing?

Yep. It's a bit of a niche instrument played by hammering-on, often employed by bassists for speedy licks in prog rock and prog metal bands. 

Here's Tony Levin, also formerly of King Crimson, playing a speedy jam with Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess, all members of prog metal band Dream Theater at the time and 30 years his junior.

I also backtracked to your Soundscapes selection. Would it hurt your feelings if I called it "space music" and looked for it Sunday nights on WBHM? Nothing at all wrong with it, like often sought-after background mood music, but sufficiently structureless to discourage actual listening (at least on my first listen).

Not really meant to be ambient. Fripp encourages active listening. They can be hard to listen to.

Edited by Bigbens42
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

You've lived a sheltered life if you've managed to avoid King Crimson this long. Progressive rock would not be what it is today without Robert Fripp and King Crimson. The guy is a gem.

Yep. Go look them up.

Yep. It's a bit of a niche instrument played by hammering-on, often employed by bassists for speedy licks in prog rock and prog metal bands. 

Here's Tony Levin, also formerly of King Crimson, playing a speedy jam with Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess, all members of prog metal band Dream Theater at the time and 30 years his junior.

Not really meant to be ambient. Fripp encourages active listening. They can be hard to listen to.

Shoot! Right after I posted my last, I went out Googling Crimson, and kept coming up with King Crimson and a guy named Fripp (never knew his name). The same! Really hoped to get back here and edit before you caught me. Yes. Much familiar here. I obviously slipped a cog and was looking for something that wasn't there. Must admit, however, Court of the Crimson King did often serve as ambience.

Humble Apologies

8 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Shoot! Right after I posted my last, I went out Googling Crimson, and kept coming up with King Crimson and a guy named Fripp (never knew his name). The same! Really hoped to get back here and edit before you caught me. Yes. Much familiar here. I obviously slipped a cog and was looking for something that wasn't there. Must admit, however, Court of the Crimson King did often serve as ambience.

Humble Apologies

LOL no harm. My dad raised me on King Crimson and Warren Zevon.

*The nostalgia, it burns.*

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

LOL no harm. My dad raised me on King Crimson and Warren Zevon.

*The nostalgia, it burns.*

While some time ago, I heard kids talking about Creed and thought they were talking about Creedence. Imagine my chagrin.

ETA - Will listen to your Liquid Tension Experiment but, right now, I'm old and overdue for bedtime.

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

While some time ago, I heard kids talking about Creed and thought they were talking about Creedence. Imagine my chagrin.

The postgrunge era was a dark time. Creed, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd etc. Banal, derivative crap, obscenely overexposed and simply dominating the airwaves.

And, embarrassingly, I didn't really mind it at the time. Like most teens, I was a moron.

11 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Yep. Go look them up.

Can't like again, having used up my opportunity in my King red-faced episode.Many Thanks.

"Speedy" indeed, and a slogging endurance test for the drummer, but rhythms shine through cleanly.

Re: the stick - I assume it's tuned to Mr. Fripp's NST (which, I must admit, is far beyond me even with a good night's sleep and a cup of coffee)? Are the twelve strings separately tuned, or is it paired or octave-paired strings in a six-string configuration? Is it fretted, or are those lines place markers? Finally, I've never played electrics in any configuration (and am barely a chord strummer on acoustic), but it would seem to me that the "hammering" style calls for awfully sensitive pickups (if that's the right word?).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

"Speedy" indeed, and a slogging endurance test for the drummer, but rhythms shine through cleanly.

Portnoy is one of the best around today. Too bad he left Dream Theater. He's done some excellent stuff outside of there though. His work with supergroup Transatlantic with Neal Morse, Roin Stolte and Pete Trewavas is some of the best progressive rock you'll ever hear.

Re: the stick - I assume it's tuned to Mr. Fripp's NST (which, I must admit, is far beyond me even with a good night's sleep and a cup of coffee)? Are the twelve strings separately tuned, or is it paired or octave-paired strings in a six-string configuration? Is it fretted, or are those lines place markers?

In standard tuning on a stick, the melody side is tuned for fourths, while the bass side is tuned for fifths. Not really sure how Gunn does it, but NST on a guitar is CGDAEG, which approximates all fifths and already matches the tuning on the bass side.

They are typically fretted, though there are fretless models too.

Finally, I've never played electrics in any configuration (and am barely a chord strummer on acoustic), but it would seem to me that the "hammering" style calls for awfully sensitive pickups (if that's the right word?).

More reliant on technique and EQ. As long as they aren't super quiet, you're generally fine with whatever pickups you choose.

• Like 1

Never had the pleasure of seeing Crimson, and it's likely I never will. Only time they've ever been to the 'ham was the 72 concert you mentioned, which my dad attended.

I did, however, get to see Robert Fripp performing his Soundscapes in Atlanta a decade ago. That was an experience. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

The postgrunge era was a dark time. Creed, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd etc. Banal, derivative crap, obscenely overexposed and simply dominating the airwaves.

And, embarrassingly, I didn't really mind it at the time. Like most teens, I was a moron.

I have to defend Creed somewhat. Their first album, My Own Prison, has held up well imo. It's their other albums that have not aged well. There's only a couple of songs off their other albums I ever listen to from time to time. But My Own Prison is easily Creed's best material.

Edited by Auburnfan91

This is the original version of Seether's "Broken", which is better imo than the re-made version with Amy Lee of Evanescence that became a big hit. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 10:23 PM, Bigbens42 said:

Yep. Go look them up.

BB love it. You must be 386 years old. Love your knowledge of history and music...... sports also.... special song for you. ^-^ forgot all about it until listening to oldies today.

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 1

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 9:09 PM, alexava said:

might go get this cd tomorrow. 

As I hear more of him, I wonder if we might be related? My paternal grandmother was (nee) Isbell, and represented the "plantation" branch of the family tree. Apparently I had an uncle (with some "greats" inserted here) that was responsible for the 1st casualty in the Battle of Appomattox Courthouse. Family lore was that he walked out on his front porch, evening before the battle, and saw a Union spy sneaking into town across his front yard and ran back inside for his shotgun.

6 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

As I hear more of him, I wonder if we might be related? My paternal grandmother was (nee) Isbell, and represented the "plantation" branch of the family tree. Apparently I had an uncle (with some "greats" inserted here) that was responsible for the 1st casualty in the Battle of Appomattox Courthouse. Family lore was that he walked out on his front porch, evening before the battle, and saw a Union spy sneaking into town across his front yard and ran back inside for his shotgun.

Try to ask him on FB or twitter. Probably a lot of Isbells though. I have seen several through the years. 

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

Try to ask him on FB or twitter. Probably a lot of Isbells though. I have seen several through the years. 

Afraid this forum is as close as I get to "social media."