Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

As I hear more of him, I wonder if we might be related? My paternal grandmother was (nee) Isbell, and represented the "plantation" branch of the family tree. Apparently I had an uncle (with some "greats" inserted here) that was responsible for the 1st casualty in the Battle of Appomattox Courthouse. Family lore was that he walked out on his front porch, evening before the battle, and saw a Union spy sneaking into town across his front yard and ran back inside for his shotgun.

Was that plantation in the Shoals area? Love the family lore. Quite possibly less interesting than the truth, even.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Was that plantation in the Shoals area? Love the family lore. Quite possibly less interesting than the truth, even.

Shoals, huh?

No. In VA. A section on the upper James. Pretty place (though completely inactive) that I got to visit once (camping) before Dad and his brother sold it. 

Just thought, enough generations back that family scattering might have occurred.

ETA - The surrender was presented at the Isbell-Bocock House in town.

Edited by AUld fAUx@

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Shoals, huh?

No. In VA. A section on the upper James. Pretty place (though completely inactive) that I got to visit once (camping) before Dad and his brother sold it. 

Just thought, enough generations back that family scattering might have occurred.

Yep. He and the Drive-By Truckers are all from that Shoals/Colbert County area. Certainly possible that his people made their way down from VA. 

This one is probably best characterized as a "one hit."

Might be considered somewhat minimalist (?) but the reverbs/echoes (?) were such that 6-7 groups on the beach with their portable radios coincidentally tuned to the same station could fairly faithfully recreate the old drive-in-theater SurroundSound effect.

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. He and the Drive-By Truckers are all from that Shoals/Colbert County area. Certainly possible that his people made their way down from VA. 

Yes he was raised in Green Hill. North Lauderdale county. Google him and Mark Maron  wtf radio podcast. A long show but goes way back to his childhood. As good as his music is he is entertaining to hear just talk. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

Yes he was raised in Green Hill. North Lauderdale county. Google him and Mark Maron  wtf radio podcast. A long show but goes way back to his childhood. As good as his music is he is entertaining to hear just talk. 

He was on the Daily Show the other night and Trevor Noah said basically that he would pay money just to listen to him talk. 

And, crap, how could I forget that it's North Lauderdale County. I've only heard the man say it about a dozen times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Many, many thanks (if, for nothing else, an excuse for playing hooky for a good part of my day).

Surprising, the number of shared experiences, considering at least a full generation and an entire (north/south) state of separation, and he pronounces "Isbell" properly!

(this is the one I googled up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA9944tWDzE)

Mr. Maron got a little tiresome before the interview?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Many, many thanks (if, for nothing else, an excuse for playing hooky for a good part of my day).

Surprising, the number of shared experiences, considering at least a full generation and an entire (north/south) state of separation, and he pronounces "Isbell" properly!

(this is the one I googled up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA9944tWDzE)

Mr. Maron got a little tiresome before the interview?

Yes that's it. They were both on the late show with Colbert last week. I expect they probably did another one. You can slide past the entro part. He has one with Patterson Hood too. They talk about Isbell a good bit. 

So long, I've been looking too hard, I've been waiting too long
Sometimes I don't know what I will find, I only know it's a matter of time

• Like 1

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

So long, I've been looking too hard, I've been waiting too long
Sometimes I don't know what I will find, I only know it's a matter of time

but an American Band sometimes comes with more cowbell.

• Like 2

Met this guy while in the Badlands.  We were pretty well at each scenic site together.  He had an green Alien man he was using to take pics with which got my attention.  We exchanged names and talked a good bit.  He is from Nashville, has a syndicated radio show...He produced this song about his trip to Devils Towers....

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 1:02 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Shoals, huh?

ETA - The surrender was presented at the Isbell-Bocock House in town.

I knew a bunch of Isbell's in Alabama, most were good musicians.  One of my best friends from church college was Mike Isbell, wife was Robin

• Like 1

Larry Graham = Boss

• Like 1