Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

A LOT of banter before the song, but it's worth it. Maybe.

Whodathunk he'd live so long?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ricky van Shelton, I believe was the name, and does Satirway = Stairway to Heaven?

Sorry,

yes

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I have to imagine the hopers greatly outnumbered the thunkers.

Referenced in your last above, but 

the happiest song he ever wrote?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Referenced in your last above, but 

the happiest song he ever wrote?

Certainly a damned sight happier than Sam Stone. Or Hello In There. Or Angel From Montgomery. Or....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Certainly a damned sight happier than Sam Stone. Or Hello In There. Or Angel From Montgomery. Or....

Um. Holy sh**.

Pulled straight from the URL: "Herbie Hancock new album features Kendrick Lamar..."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/herbie-hancock-new-album-features-kendrick-lamar-thundercat-kamasi-washington-release-date-tour-a8245661.html

In celebration:

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive turntable?

There seem to be a lot out there in the $75-$100 range that get good reviews on Amazon and such, but I've heard a few serious audiophiles poo-poo those.

I feel like I should go with something cheap (and small- built-in speakers, specifically) and see if I'll ever actually commit to listening to albums before investing in more expensive and robust equipment. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

There seem to be a lot out there in the $75-$100 range that get good reviews on Amazon and such, but I've heard a few serious audiophiles poo-poo those.

I feel like I should go with something cheap (and small- built-in speakers, specifically) and see if I'll ever actually commit to listening to albums before investing in more expensive and robust equipment. 

Probably of no help at all (esp. on current $). Nonetheless, you may glean some guideposts here.

We limp along with 2 x old ones: Onkyo CP - 1000A (wife's old machine), w./ tone-arm wt. @ 0.2 grams for the "good" (mostly her) albums; and a Pioneer PL-600 (weight set at 2, yes 2, grams). Some of our more poorly cared-for (mostly my) albums ( the ones that have the scratches and skips in the right/familiar places) could (trust me) bounce her tone-arm with sufficient force to crack the dust cover. Upshot? Variable weight on the tone-arm! Not sure if you've got a collection or will be collecting, or both. but a worthwhile thought.

Back when we thought turntables were to become a thing of the past (back before your audiophile buds pushed back) we bought a boatload of replacement styluses (styli?) that has not yet run dry, for both turntables. The heavier the tone-arm weight, however, the more frequently they need replacing. Again, a worthwhile thought, dependent on your album condition.

We still listen on good-old standup Thiels, with good pre- (AptHolman) and power- (Audiophonics) amps in-line, so I can't tell you much about built-in speakers. We have (fairly recently), however, bought a TEAC phonograph-to-CD converter in a planned effort to digitize the album collection. So far, I've only played radio and CDs through the on-board speakers; they ain't Thiels, but they beat the snot out of those of the silly old Mac that I'm typing on.

Hope this helps.

Edited

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I have to cop to not knowing much about Bobby Darin, but I was kind of surprised to come across this one.

Bobby had a rough life and died at 37 having some type of heart surgery.  This song is actually my favorite by him great find by you loof.

During the 60s he became more politically active and worked on Robert F. Kennedy's Democratic presidential campaign. He was present on the night of June 4/5, 1968, at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles at the time of Kennedy's assassination. During the same year, he discovered he had been raised by his grandmother, not his mother, and that the girl he thought was his sister was actually his mother that's just strange I mean really strange

He was also married Sandra Dee who was a young movie starlet at the time. She was that good looking in person imo

people,portrait,woman,adult,wear,child,actress,girl,fashion,facial expression,monochrome,model

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Well I sold my album collection over a year ago. 1200 albums so I'm no help at the time

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well I sold my album collection over a year ago. 1200 albums so I'm no help at the time

I think I remember that now... I can't imagine what was in that collection

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Bobby had a rough life and died at 37 having some type of heart surgery.  This song is actually my favorite by him great find by you loof.

During the 60s he became more politically active and worked on Robert F. Kennedy's Democratic presidential campaign. He was present on the night of June 4/5, 1968, at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles at the time of Kennedy's assassination. During the same year, he discovered he had been raised by his grandmother, not his mother, and that the girl he thought was his sister was actually his mother that's just strange I mean really strange

He was also married Sandra Dee who was a young movie starlet at the time. She was that good looking in person imo

people,portrait,woman,adult,wear,child,actress,girl,fashion,facial expression,monochrome,model

Love these stories, man. Love em. 

I actually have a very good friend with the same mom story. Crazy.

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Probably of no help at all (esp. on current $). Nonetheless, you may glean some guideposts here.

We limp along with 2 x old ones: Onkyo CP - 1000A (wife's old machine), w./ tone-arm wt. @ 0.2 grams for the "good" (mostly her) albums; and a Pioneer PL-600 (weight set at 2, yes 2, grams). Some of our more poorly cared-for (mostly my) albums ( the ones that have the scratches and skips in the right/familiar places) could (trust me) bounce her tone-arm with sufficient force to crack the dust cover. Upshot? Variable weight on the tone-arm! Not sure if you've got a collection or will be collecting, or both. but a worthwhile thought.

Back when we thought turntables were to become a thing of the past (back before your audiophile buds pushed back) we bought a boatload of replacement styluses (styli?) that has not yet run dry, for both turntables. The heavier the tone-arm weight, however, the more frequently they need replacing. Again, a worthwhile thought, dependent on your album condition.

We still listen on good-old standup Thiels, with good pre- (AptHolman) and power- (Audiophonics) amps in-line, so I can't tell you much about built-in speakers. We have (fairly recently), however, bought a TEAC phonograph-to-CD converter in a planned effort to digitize the album collection. So far, I've only played radio and CDs through the on-board speakers; they ain't Thiels, but they beat the snot out of those of the silly old Mac that I'm typing on.

Hope this helps.

Edited

I have even more to learn than I thought...

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Hope this helps.

Edited

Memories ..........Advent, Bose,  Denon, Harman Korman, Kenwood on and on 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I ain't here on business, I'm only here for fun

Happy Friday, All

Happy back at you, and

remember that funny time discontinuity thing this weekend

• Like 1

Not entirely incongruous with the previous post, I don't think. Just some South-Asian-Afro-Klezmer-New Orleans-Jazz-Funk-Rock fusion party music, NBD. My kind of world music. Perfect for a mid-afternoon set on the big stage at an outdoor festival in spring. Also, TIL that an instrument and dance/rhythm that I've long been drawn to are called the dhol and Bhangra, respectively. The 2nd video is a much different, slightly darker spin on that which I might have posted before.

• Like 2

I know @ShocksMyBrain has heard this song a million times, and I'm sure it's been posted here, but I've never seen this performance. One of those where I wish I could watch every performer for the entire song. As it stands, it's one where each time I listen, I hear so many new sounds. It's busy and cacophonous but there's still plenty of room for everyone at the table. No jostling for elbow room. And that groove is just so damned funky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Not entirely incongruous with the previous post, I don't think. Just some South-Asian-Afro-Klezmer-New Orleans-Jazz-Funk-Rock fusion party music, NBD. My kind of world music. Perfect for a mid-afternoon set on the big stage at an outdoor festival in spring. Also, TIL that an instrument and dance/rhythm that I've long been drawn to are called the dhol and Bhangra, respectively. The 2nd video is a much different, slightly darker spin on that which I might have posted before.

And Thanks!

Still another case where Like of music and Thanks for intro are about equally massive components of my reaction.

Dammit, may change it in the morning.

• Love 1

I know @ShocksMyBrain has heard this song a million times, and I'm sure it's been posted here, but I've never seen this performance. One of those where I wish I could watch every performer for the entire song. As it stands, it's one where each time I listen, I hear so many new sounds. It's busy and cacophonous but there's still plenty of room for everyone at the table. No jostling for elbow room. And that groove is just so damned funky. 

!

another fuss is the system won't let me add an exclamation point for a many, many thanks!

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

!

another fuss is the system won't let me add an exclamation point for a many, many thanks!

The rare time when one can say that it was truly his pleasure.