Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

I'm not a "huge Dylan fan" in the sense that I'm familiar with a significant portion of his catalogue, and half the time I don't even know what the song is really about. But I love most of what I do know. One from early in his career and another from later. He can both turn a phrase and evoke a mood like no other IMO. The lyric below is from the song in the first video, done by Richie Havens. That was on Highway 61 Revisited, released in 1965. Desert island top 5 album for me. The second video is from Time Out of Mind, released 32 years later and more than deserving of the Grammy(s?) it won IMO.

The Commander-in-Chief answers him while chasing a fly
Saying, "Death to all those who would whimper and cry"
And, dropping a barbell, he points to the sky
Saying, "The sun's not yellow, it's chicken"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Remind me,

What were you playing?

Sousaphone (tuba) in the AUMB. I never did Drum and Bugle Corps. I thought about it but never did. There was a Corps out of Montgomery, I think, years ago but it is my understanding they have folded. They were called Spirit of the South if memory serves me correctly. 

Edit:

spirit is out of Atlanta and Southwind is out of Montgomery and is still performing. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, Ellington is a legend. My love for “In the Mood” started because we had played the song in a spring show one year in high school. I suppose it stuck. 

• Like 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this is cool. Guys break down a (country) song they never heard. Probably the most emotional song ever written. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My blessings from St. Padrig (I saw not a single snake) lasted into today. I slept well.* Hope all here did also.

* Old watershed. This quartet made me realize that while practice of my craft/hobby could still be fun/satisfying, I would never, ever achieve the tonal control of a truly competitive barbershop bass. With time, I learned that I was also losing the ability to match/blend with the lungs displayed by this lead.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:13 AM, aubearcat said:

Mr. Kaufman was, um, "not from around here."

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Mr. Kaufman was, um, "not from around here."

“Thank you very much”

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

“Thank you very much”

Crazy, right?

Fascinating, but often downright painful, to watch.

5 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Crazy, right?

Fascinating, but often downright painful, to watch.

I liked his character on “Taxi” and some of his other skits he did on SNL were pretty good but he definitely had some oddities. The whole wrestling thing and then the loud mouth actor guy he did, not really funny. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Thanks 1