Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

Love this song and of course Bruce to bad he wasn't around during Nam. Seen Bruce to many times to mention. I will always go see him if I am able

The song was inspired by Cockburn's visit to Guatemalan refugee camps in Mexico following the counterinsurgency campaign of dictator Efraín Ríos Montt

In the song, Cockburn despairs of waiting for a political solution to the crisis, and expresses the desire to take matters into his own hands. Each verse ends with a line stating what Cockburn would do if he had a rocket launcher: in the first verse, "I'd make somebody pay". In the second, "I would retaliate". In the third, "I would not hesitate". The fourth and final verse ends with the song's most famous and controversial lyric: "If I had a rocket launcher, some son-of-a-bitch would die".

Here comes the helicopter -- second time today
Everybody scatters and hopes it goes away
How many kids they've murdered only God can say
If I had a rocket launcher...I'd make somebody pay

I don't believe in guarded borders and I don't believe in hate
I don't believe in generals or their stinking torture states
And when I talk with the survivors of things too sickening to relate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would retaliate

On the Rio Lacantun, one hundred thousand wait
To fall down from starvation -- or some less humane fate
Cry for guatemala, with a corpse in every gate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would not hesitate

I want to raise every voice -- at least I've got to try
Every time I think about it water rises to my eyes.
Situation desperate, echoes of the victims cry
If I had a rocket launcher...Some son of a bitch would die 

11 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Love this song and of course Bruce to bad he wasn't around during Nam. Seen Bruce to many times to mention. I will always go see him if I am able

The song was inspired by Cockburn's visit to Guatemalan refugee camps in Mexico following the counterinsurgency campaign of dictator Efraín Ríos Montt

In the song, Cockburn despairs of waiting for a political solution to the crisis, and expresses the desire to take matters into his own hands. Each verse ends with a line stating what Cockburn would do if he had a rocket launcher: in the first verse, "I'd make somebody pay". In the second, "I would retaliate". In the third, "I would not hesitate". The fourth and final verse ends with the song's most famous and controversial lyric: "If I had a rocket launcher, some son-of-a-bitch would die".

Here comes the helicopter -- second time today
Everybody scatters and hopes it goes away
How many kids they've murdered only God can say
If I had a rocket launcher...I'd make somebody pay

I don't believe in guarded borders and I don't believe in hate
I don't believe in generals or their stinking torture states
And when I talk with the survivors of things too sickening to relate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would retaliate

On the Rio Lacantun, one hundred thousand wait
To fall down from starvation -- or some less humane fate
Cry for guatemala, with a corpse in every gate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would not hesitate

I want to raise every voice -- at least I've got to try
Every time I think about it water rises to my eyes.
Situation desperate, echoes of the victims cry
If I had a rocket launcher...Some son of a bitch would die 

Damn, that's heavy. And to the point. Some of the most blunt "protest" lyrics I've ever heard. And for good reason. What atrocities. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Damn, that's heavy. And to the point. Some of the most blunt "protest" lyrics I've ever heard. And for good reason. What atrocities. 

And most people have never heard about them

23 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

And most people have never heard about them

I had to look it up.

It's crazy how easy it is to just be like, "Yeah, all those Central American countries have seen some rough times", but then you hear the specifics and it really changes your perspective. 

• Like 1

Really been listening to Marcus King a lot lately. This kid has so much life still ahead of him - it's makes me glad to know that we'll be getting to enjoy him writing music for a long time. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Don’t expect any of you to listen to this. 3 hours of the darkest, grimiest, opiate filled jams from Phish 2004(no lyrics).

Clicked play on this and the skipped over to reddit. This video was on the dash. The first jam on your video syncs up pretty well. Makes me wish the drone video was also 3 hrs long.

21 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Can't wait! I'm sure somebody somewhere can tell me all kinds of things that are wrong with Ken Burns docs but I'm not going to listen and I'm going to stay on these like stink on shinola. 

• Love 1

The beginning guitar riff in this song was triggered in the deep recesses of my brain yesterday. I can’t remember how long it’s been since I listened to it or this album. I love how awesome it still is. Got the music goose bumps when I listened to it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1