Auburn's Top-40 Offensive Performances

StatTiger

Here are the top-40 Auburn offensive performances (yardage) from 1970-2015 relative to the level of competition. The games were sorted by the percentage of yardage Auburn gained relative to what their opponent allowed per game, and against FBS teams with a winning record. This is one of the best methods of comparing teams from different decades.

Top%20Offensive%20Performances_zpsmkocsyho.jpg

Gus Malzahn has placed more than 1/4 of the teams on the above list despite being at Auburn at Auburn for 6 of the 46 years sorted. Five of his eleven games listed above came during a championship game or bowl game. I was only 6-years old during the 1970 season and wish I could have seen them perform. Over the years I have spoken with many Auburn folks that were old enough to have witnessed the 1970 Auburn offense and to appreciate their accomplishments. That Pat Sullivan led offense made the list 5 times, which is amazing. During the 1970 season Auburn averaged 485-yards per game on 7.1 yards per play, while the remainder of the SEC offenses averaged 336-yards per game on 4.4 yards per play. The 1971 Auburn offense averaged a TD every 15.9 snaps, which was the 2nd best TD ratio of any SEC offense from 1970-1989.

Not to sound stupid, but does the far right column indicate the W/L of the opponent we played at that time? Just curious. Sometimes certain stats can be confusing for old farts or is it old frats? (pretty much the same)

Not to sound stupid, but does the far right column indicate the W/L of the opponent we played at that time? Just curious. Sometimes certain stats can be confusing for old farts or is it old frats? (pretty much the same)

Never been frat*, and

certainly no Stat, but

Sum of W+L seems to represent the opponents' records for that season.

*Fart, however, I've been called more that once. Sometimes even affectionately.

Never too old... and yes, the record are the far right is the final record of the opponent.

The 1970 team holds four of the top eight spots!!!

Must have been a fun offense to watch! 1974 was the first time I remember watching Auburn play on TV and it was a Bowl Game. The first game I attended was 1979. Looking at the above numbers, I can see why many good Auburn folks I have conversed with, brag about that offense.

My all time favorite Auburn team is the 1969 team, with 1972 running a close second. The happiest I have ever been was when Connie Fredrick ran the punt for a TD against the turds. I was 11 years old then and went nuts listening to the announcer call the game. I always tuned in to the Auburn station back then when games were rarely on TV. It was a rare treat to see Auburn play on TV. I have never missed an Auburn game since I can remember either on TV or radio.

My all time favorite Auburn team is the 1969 team, with 1972 running a close second. The happiest I have ever been was when Connie Fredrick ran the punt for a TD against the turds. I was 11 years old then and went nuts listening to the announcer call the game. I always tuned in to the Auburn station back then when games were rarely on TV. It was a rare treat to see Auburn play on TV. I have never missed an Auburn game since I can remember either on TV or radio.

Funny...as much as I loved Sullivan and Beasley; and those 3 teams were truly a joy to see and listen to, the 72 team was the best...and you'll certainly never see them on any offensive stat sheet :-) ...but boy, that defense could play...and when the chips were down, Terry Henley could get that one yard we needed.

Funny...as much as I loved Sullivan and Beasley; and those 3 teams were truly a joy to see and listen to, the 72 team was the best...and you'll certainly never see them on any offensive stat sheet :-) ...but boy, that defense could play...and when the chips were down, Terry Henley could get that one yard we needed.

The 1972 defense checks in at No.9 among the past 46 Auburn defenses, holding their opponent to 40.5% below their scoring average. They were No. 2 in scoring defense in the SEC and No. 15 in the nation.

Archived