AU trying to go All IN on Athletic facility upgrades across the board

ellitor

Arkansas currently has 134 suites in their football stadium - all are leased - and this addition will more suites in the north end zone. They currently have around 2,000 seats inside suites.

Auburn currently has 79 suites. I couldn't find the number of suite suites inside Jordan-Hare, but if you assume 12 seats per suite, that would be 948. So it's safe to assume that Arkansas has almost 1,000 more suite seats than Auburn has - and will increase that number significantly with the new addition.

What I find interesting is the cost of the seats. At Arkansas their most expensive seat costs $2,100 per seat, with their least expensive seat suite being $1,800. I think at Auburn all seat suites cost significantly more than that. Our club seats are $3,000 each and the Beckwith Club costs $3,575 each. I'm almost positive our suites are even higher.

If/when we do an addition to the north end zone at Jordan-Hare, there needs to be a lower price point for those seats compared to the sideline suites and club seats.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the north endzone idea is going to be scaled way back.... Like maybe 1/2 of what we saw in the latest renderings???

Hopefully not. I am in full support of what was released in the renderings.

This is about the 3rd time in the last 8-9 months that I've felt like we were getting the run-around on this project. Last May the project was sent back to the drawing board ~ Last December the AD sent out a survey to see what the fanbase wanted ~ now this letter offers "preliminary proposals" for the project and a firm specializing in fundraising plans to begin the feasibility study with the potential donors.

Hmmm....

It was never set to start before the end of the 2016 season. That's going back 2 years.

How about we get enough seating for students in Auburn Arena so there aren't a thousand students cramming in upstairs during big games. Not sure how that would happen, but it's not right for only a thousand students to be able to get a seat or for donors to have to dodge a ton of students upstairs.

Well when the AA was built it holds 5 k less than Beard Eaves because at the time there was not a demand for Basketball.

If I recall the new arena was deliberately built to the current size to give AU more of a home court advantage and to put a number of the students on the floor level for purpose of generating lots of noise. I don't think it was the acceptance that basketball was not popular....nor never would be..

Not filling out the BEC capacity was a definite factor in the size of the AA.

How about we get enough seating for students in Auburn Arena so there aren't a thousand students cramming in upstairs during big games. Not sure how that would happen, but it's not right for only a thousand students to be able to get a seat or for donors to have to dodge a ton of students upstairs.

Well when the AA was built it holds 5 k less than Beard Eaves because at the time there was not a demand for Basketball.

I get that, it's just frustrating watching the ushers have to go down and move students from seats upstairs. It's a hassle for the people who actually have the seats. I don't blame any students for sitting in seats up there though. Paying an arm and a leg to attend auburn plus having to wait 2+ hours outside in sometimes freezing cold weather isn't exactly a winning combination.

Beard Eaves originally sat 12.500 and was renovated to reduce seating to just over 10,000. It was renovated again to seat 10,500. It never held 5k more than our current arena.

We're the 'studyingest' (sic) place I've ever seen, hah. :rolleyes:/>

:)/> "study "is code for..... 'we don't have the money but if you want it bad enough and are willing to pay for it....we will try to make it happen.

Nah, unless you think Kentucky, Ole Miss and Miss State can afford it but Auburn cannot. No, this is more like code for 'let's drag our feet some more like we have for a decade'. I could dig out my old post about the window of opportunity presented by historically low interest rates, but suffice it to say, these low rates will buy a lot more in capital improvements right now.

You must have also forgotten that JJ even saw the light on that one, when he said last year, this would be paid for with a bond issue. A $100 million bond issue at 4% would be a $4 million yearly interest nut to crack. Structured properly, the principal would be back end loaded and retired with revenue and/or all the fund raisers you want to hold over the next 20 years.

Beard Eaves originally sat 12.500 and was renovated to reduce seating to just over 10,000. It was renovated again to seat 10,500. It never held 5k more than our current arena.

When I worked the ticket office I was told repeatedly capacity was 14 k. That was the last 3 years of BEC. But you are right. I was misinformed. My apologies to the board on this matter.

:)/> "study "is code for..... 'we don't have the money but if you want it bad enough and are willing to pay for it....we will try to make it happen.

Nah, unless you think Kentucky, Ole Miss and Miss State can afford it but Auburn cannot. No, this is more like code for 'let's drag our feet some more like we have for a decade'. I could dig out my old post about the window of opportunity presented by historically low interest rates, but suffice it to say, these low rates will buy a lot more in capital improvements right now.

You must have also forgotten that JJ even saw the light on that one, when he said last year, this would be paid for with a bond issue. A $100 million bond issue at 4% would be a $4 million yearly interest nut to crack. Structured properly, the principal would be back end loaded and retired with revenue and/or all the fund raisers you want to hold over the next 20 years.

As for the other schools.....I checked around a bit to see what other schools had done or were doing and the common words in the various articles I found were: "consultant".... "study" ..."feasibility" ..."survey"...."fund raising campaign"...., "bonds"......just saying that nobody had/has the money and all seemed to be hiring companies to help them figure out what they could afford and how much money they could find from various sources.

But as for just paying the interest and letting the principle slide for however long the school can get away with.....sounds like how the Feds finance their favorite projects.....letting our children or grandchildren pay the bill some time in the future.

Just getting back to my point that more or less there is a finite amount of money that alums and friends can/will donate to AU....and big fund raising programs likely take money from other needs though the current campaign seems to be doing quite well. If the Athletic Department can find a way to pay for these things from athletic revenue.....I'm fine with that but I hate to see the AD tapping the general alum base. JMO

As for the other schools.....I checked around a bit to see what other schools had done or were doing and the common words in the various articles I found were: "consultant".... "study" ..."feasibility" ..."survey"...."fund raising campaign"...., "bonds"......just saying that nobody had/has the money and all seemed to be hiring companies to help them figure out what they could afford and how much money they could find from various sources.

But as for just paying the interest and letting the principle slide for however long the school can get away with.....sounds like how the Feds finance their favorite projects.....letting our children or grandchildren pay the bill some time in the future.

Just getting back to my point that more or less there is a finite amount of money that alums and friends can/will donate to AU....and big fund raising programs likely take money from other needs though the current campaign seems to be doing quite well. If the Athletic Department can find a way to pay for these things from athletic revenue.....I'm fine with that but I hate to see the AD tapping the general alum base. JMO

The athletic department is already 'tapping the general alum base' every day. I don't know what you know about fundraising at Auburn, but it's extremely competitive and each school/department has specific goals that their development officers must meet, or those development officers may find themselves unemployed. Athletics is already the 800 pound guerrilla and they have exclusive rights to call on some of the largest donors and potential donors at Auburn. That's just the way it works, and that's not unique to Auburn.

On an interesting note, Kay Hargrave recently retired from athletics development and Rob Wellbaum moved over to the TUF development job. Rob is a heavy hitter and I think that was a great move on Jay's part - but it's also a signal that fundraising for athletics is about to be cranked up a notch, I believe.

^This^ and I well remember those well written posts!

You miss a key point. There is a difference between the articles you read with those "words" in it and articles about AU with the same words. That difference is those schools have moved beyond the words and have their stadium projects and football facilities well underway or even completed. You can also add LSU, Florida, Missouri, TAMU and bama to the Kentucky, Ole Miss and Miss State list.

People can throw up obstacles just like the AD does. In your case, you were saying "we don't have the money". The example I gave you was to show you how much money we are really talking about in interest, equivalent to the salary of an SEC HC, not the principal. The principal portion can be structured to be retired any number of ways, ways that don't involve the poor "children", if a person really wants to get the project done. If a person doesn't want to get it done, they can find a million reasons why it can't be done.

Last year Notre Dame, a school that has a very large endowment, floated a bond issue for almost $350 million for their stadium, football offices and athletic facilities. They recognized the historic opportunity presented by these interest rates. The money is there.

People can throw up obstacles just like the AD does. In your case, you were saying "we don't have the money". The example I gave you was to show you how much money we are really talking about in interest, equivalent to the salary of an SEC HC, not the principal. The principal portion can be structured to be retired any number of ways, ways that don't involve the poor "children", if a person really wants to get the project done. If a person doesn't want to get it done, they can find a million reasons why it can't be done.

Or the person could throw up a $17,000,000 AubieTron to appease the masses while they go "back to the drawing board" with plans and then 8 months later get a firm to "begin" the feasibility study on the "preliminary" plans for the renovation and get feedback from potential donors. Spinning wheels while other programs are actively under construction.

Stadium wars.........

http://www.fayettevi...dium-expansion/

The University of Arkansas is ready to move forward on a major expansion to Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville.

Athletics officials this week are scheduled to ask the UA Board of Trustees for permission begin an estimated $160 million capital campaign for the project, which will included a north end zone addition, updates to existing areas, and a new Broyles Athletic Center.

The project was first announced in 2012 following completion of the Razorback Athletic Facilities Master Plan.

Here’s the basic plan, according to the UA:

1. North End Zone – The north addition will include new suites, loge boxes, club seats, and club areas. The east and west concourses will connect to allow flow of patrons around the stadium, as well as provide new concessions and restrooms. Additional and expanded entrances will improve patron flow. A new gameday locker room, training room, and pre/post game support rooms will be added for the football team.
  2. Stadium updates – New elevators will be installed at the northeast and northwest corners to service the existing east and west suites, club areas, and upper level seating. Existing suites and club areas will be renovated and updated. A new video board will be added at the south end of the stadium. Security and safety systems will be enhanced.
  3. Broyles Athletic Center – The Broyles Center will be affected by the larger north end zone project, and will be rebuilt in the new north end. The Broyles Center will still house the administrative offices, along with space that can be used for ticketing, merchandise, and Razorback history and traditions.

Officials said the project will be funded entirely by athletics revenues, capital gifts, and bond proceeds from a future bond issue. No university funds will be required to complete this project, but season ticket and single-game ticket prices are expected to be adjusted.

stadium1.jpg

11562942.jpeg?1450311392

Posting a picture right underneath for easy comparison...

In comparison to what our north end zone will look like after renovation, theirs is weak sauce.

Or the person could throw up a $17,000,000 AubieTron to appease the masses while they go "back to the drawing board" with plans and then 8 months later get a firm to begin the feasibility study on the preliminary plans for the renovation and get feedback from possible donors.

Yep, or all that. I am just 'hoping' Aubietron is a precursor to something the fans get to look at in their new luxury suites in the NEZ.

11562942.jpeg?1450311392

In comparison to what our north end zone will look like after renovation, theirs is weak sauce.

I really do like that version of the NEZ.

The athletic department is already 'tapping the general alum base' every day. I don't know what you know about fundraising at Auburn, but it's extremely competitive and each school/department has specific goals that their development officers must meet, or those development officers may find themselves unemployed. Athletics is already the 800 pound guerrilla and they have exclusive rights to call on some of the largest donors and potential donors at Auburn. That's just the way it works, and that's not unique to Auburn.

On an interesting note, Kay Hargrave recently retired from athletics development and Rob Wellbaum moved over to the TUF development job. Rob is a heavy hitter and I think that was a great move on Jay's part - but it's also a signal that fundraising for athletics is about to be cranked up a notch, I believe.

Yep....my wife and I do something though the Business School and I've lost count of the different "contacts" for our fund / scholarship over the past 18 years. Jay has his faults but he's pretty well recognized as a good fund raiser.....and looks like he gets the people he wants.

That's life I guess....but not so sure I like it. :dunno:

Stadium wars.........

http://www.fayettevi...dium-expansion/

The University of Arkansas is ready to move forward on a major expansion to Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville.

Athletics officials this week are scheduled to ask the UA Board of Trustees for permission begin an estimated $160 million capital campaign for the project, which will included a north end zone addition, updates to existing areas, and a new Broyles Athletic Center.

The project was first announced in 2012 following completion of the Razorback Athletic Facilities Master Plan.

Here’s the basic plan, according to the UA:

1. North End Zone – The north addition will include new suites, loge boxes, club seats, and club areas. The east and west concourses will connect to allow flow of patrons around the stadium, as well as provide new concessions and restrooms. Additional and expanded entrances will improve patron flow. A new gameday locker room, training room, and pre/post game support rooms will be added for the football team.
  2. Stadium updates – New elevators will be installed at the northeast and northwest corners to service the existing east and west suites, club areas, and upper level seating. Existing suites and club areas will be renovated and updated. A new video board will be added at the south end of the stadium. Security and safety systems will be enhanced.
  3. Broyles Athletic Center – The Broyles Center will be affected by the larger north end zone project, and will be rebuilt in the new north end. The Broyles Center will still house the administrative offices, along with space that can be used for ticketing, merchandise, and Razorback history and traditions.

Officials said the project will be funded entirely by athletics revenues, capital gifts, and bond proceeds from a future bond issue. No university funds will be required to complete this project, but season ticket and single-game ticket prices are expected to be adjusted.

stadium1.jpg

11562942.jpeg?1450311392

I agree 100%. Those two by comparison are on complete different levels. I really hope we can go forward with our rendering of the NEZ.

With regard strictly to our football program, where would Auburn be rated among the rest of the SEC when this project is completed?

Just in case some folks don't know. Football (athletics) and Academic money are not mixed. AU academics does quite well on it's own, so it does not need athletics money. In fact the Academic side actually has a sizable endowment trust. The athletic fund takes in above 100 million dollars each year. While we sometimes might spend more than that, they too have a trust fund. Most years there is a surplus. Any money spent will be raised from donors and will not reflect in any way on academic funds. So when the administration looks at expenditures they are like any business, looking at generating greater income with their investment. WDE

• 11 months later...

Archived