Auburn's Defensive Tackles for Loss

StatTiger

Tackles for loss is normally a strong indicator of the defensive front-7 performance. You simply can't have a dominating defense without consistent production from the front-7.

Here is Auburn's ratio of TFL on defense from 1999-2015.

TFL%201999-2015_zpsvdrv4f0q.jpg

Note the drop in production from the DT's in regards to TFL in recent years. The 2015 Auburn defense was dead-last over the past 17 Auburn seasons,and possessed the worst TFL-Ratio in the country this season.

Here is a conference comparison from 2005-2008:

TFL%202005-2008_zpso3qhnozl.jpg

Here is a conference comparison since 2008:

TFL%202009-2015_zps7n9cu3uk.jpg

Auburn dropped from 3rd place in the conference from 2005-2008 to No. 13 from 2009-2015.

From 2012-2015, Auburn, Kentucky and South Carolina are tied with the fewest individual players (3) to make the SEC's Top-20 in TFL during a season. The remainder of the SEC have averaged 6.5 players with Missouri No. 1 with 11 Top-20 players the last 4 seasons.

Thanks Stat. There is some great information there as always. I think TFL is a huge part of a defense. If you can get TFL then the O has to play from behind the sticks. This is always a good thing. I wonder how much the emergence of the DT QB has effected these stats. I know sacks are only a portion of the TFL but with a DT QB it seems that the QB is more likely to get out of the pocket and make a yard or so.

Anyway, great info Stats!

Always one of my favorite threads on this board, thanks Stat. Notwithstanding ole Ellis' star-less "star" system, I wonder how much 4-3 vs. 3-4 we ran in each of those seasons - Steele indicated he wants to alternate between those formations this season with our current/potential LB crop?

Thanks Stat. There is some great information there as always. I think TFL is a huge part of a defense. If you can get TFL then the O has to play from behind the sticks. This is always a good thing. I wonder how much the emergence of the DT QB has effected these stats. I know sacks are only a portion of the TFL but with a DT QB it seems that the QB is more likely to get out of the pocket and make a yard or so.

Anyway, great info Stats!

DT-QB's can make a difference but other SEC teams have not been struggling as much as Auburn in the numbers I posted above. IMO, the key is the play of the defensive tackles. A good push up front allows the DE's to collapse the pocket not to mention better performance against the run. I would love to see Cowart moved inside because he has the size and quickness to be a devastating DT more so than a pass-rusher off the edge.

Did Tuberville put a hex on us as he walked out the door? Did Chizik curse us walking in the door? What is going on???

Did Tuberville put a hex on us as he walked out the door? Did Chizik curse us walking in the door? What is going on???

Tubberville being lead to the door and told that he had no choice but to walk out, opened the door to outside influences. That's why jet gate happened and why he was eventually sent packing after one bad year. The big boosters/board hated him because he didn't give a crap about what they wanted. He ran his program his way, and that's not how the PTB like it. Chizik massively opened up the program, which allowed for things like a drunk with ties to the old guard interfering with defensive team meetings. Gus has tightened things up some by, for one, getting rid of said drunk, but he hasn't or can't lock down the program.

One aspect to keep in mind is the latest explosion in offense the past 5-7 years. There are more spread offenses utilizing temp, which has made it more challenging for opposing defenses. During the Tuberville era, 29.6% of Auburn's opponents averaged over 400-yards per game. From 2009-2015 it has increased to 59.8%.

With that being said, I always felt Auburn did a great job of player development on the defensive side of the football, which helped offset the lean recruiting years and attrition. The problem with that was it normally took 2-3 years for some of the 2 and 3 star players to develop into SEC caliber players. This is why we always saw the better seasons under Tuberville when the roster was loaded with experience.

It's too early to tell how well Malzahn's staff develops and evaluates their personnel. It also hurts that Auburn has been through way to many DC changes since 2008. It is difficult to build continuity and consistency with so many staff changes on the defensive side of the football. Kevin Steele has publicly stated he wants to be at Auburn a long time and doesn't appear to be driven to become a HFC coach. Hopefully, if he is successful, Auburn can once again have that much need continuity on the defensive side of the football.

Finally, Auburn needs talent and depth at DL and LB. We have some good players come through the program since 2008 but not at the level of Alabama, LSU or Georgia when itr comes to defense. Hopefully the recent success in recruiting will change this but the development aspect remains to be seen.

2 cents

Good points Stat and Lionheart. I've been wondering what the stats say about offenses in the most recently passed era and this one and thanks Stat for pointing that out. 29% to 59% of teams averaging 400 yards a game is an incredible boost in offensive production.

Good points Stat and Lionheart. I've been wondering what the stats say about offenses in the most recently passed era and this one and thanks Stat for pointing that out. 29% to 59% of teams averaging 400 yards a game is an incredible boost in offensive production.

During 1992 (Pat Dye's last season), 15 offenses averaged over 30 PPG at the FBS level. This season there were 57.

During 1992 (Pat Dye's last season), 15 offenses averaged over 30 PPG at the FBS level. This season there were 57.

Wow times sure have changed. Part of why I don't think we can expect to have stats like in the previous era. All I want is a D good enough to hold teams to less points than our O can score. Yardage be damned.

Thanks for that. Except for the one year with Nick Fairley I have noticed for many years we are no longer getting that push up front that is so disruptive to offenses. The first hint we saw of a return to form was in the bowl game. Hopefully Steele can keep it going.

Wow times sure have changed. Part of why I don't think we can expect to have stats like in the previous era. All I want is a D good enough to hold teams to less points than our O can score. Yardage be damned.

Interesting note, if you took Auburn's 1988 defensive margins against the offenses Auburn faced in 2015, the Tigers would have given up 298.5 YPG, which would have been 6th best nationally this season and 10.8 PPG, which would have been No. 1 this season.

If you took this year's defensive margins against the offenses faced in 1988, Auburn would have given up 301.1 YPG and 19.2 PPG.

Wow, horrible decline for us!

I know Muschamp was focused on not giving up big plays. Maybe that, and the injury to Carl help explain some of llas year's dismal performance; but we really need to improve this stat!

Wow, horrible decline for us!

I know Muschamp was focused on not giving up big plays. Maybe that, and the injury to Carl help explain some of llas year's dismal performance; but we really need to improve this stat!

Muschamp spent half the season tinkering with the lineup (needed), which slowed down consistency. Probably would have helped some had Cassanova been moved to the buck position sooner. Not having Carl Lawson in the lineup obviously was a major impact as you stated.

thanks for the info! thinking back on tubs days i remember the yella wood guy got in tubs ear on national tele. it looked like he was hollering or screaming. if i had to put up with that i would be gone as well..........

Jet gate happened because people were tired of losing 4 games a year and a better coach was in play. Not saying that he would have stayed long term, but CBP (to some an A-hole) is a better coach. With him, you get a coach that has an offensive philosophy and never changes that philosophy. If he could just stay away from motorcycles and volleyball players.

Archived