Spencer Pennington quits team

fatmansraw

i wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility that spencer had run-ins with the staff. wouldn't you if they never gave you a chance to throw the ball, and you almost won two games with your arm, one of which you were completely overmatched all over the field (that'd be auburn, the other being minnesota where the defense didn't show up and neither did the running game). i'd be a little peeved to be the scapegoat all year when i was clearly more capable than the staff gave me credit for.

however, i very seriously doubt it had anything to do with him leaving. i also highly doubt an incoming freshman that isn't coming in with all that much fanfare impacting that decision either. it's much more likely that he looked at himself and said "i'm a really good baseball player that's been battered around on the gridiron for two years. why am i doing this?" and left. good luck to him on the diamond where there won't be 300 pounders looking to ram your throwing arm into the ground.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly, I buy the concussions story. If the quotes from his mom are correct--and why not?--he had loss of vision in one eye for a while and the "dressing room was spinning" at halftime of the Auburn game.

It ought to be a mandatory 1-year sit-out if you have 2 concussions in one season. No son of mine would play after 2, ever. Each concussion sets you up for ever-easier followers.

Just think what the skinny kid wearin' the dark pink jersey with the #12 has to look forward to next season. :D

p.s. Isn't that what quitters do....quit? :D

Maybe he just wasn't happy. Maybe his heart was with baseball.

Remember Gabe went to the baseball team too

By the way, does anyone know if Pennington's scholarship is still valid since he will no longer play football?

if a bammerboob doesn't read it(or have someone read it to him) in the tuscalooser news, or hear tommy gallion say it on fartbaum,or have it rated by forrest gump, then it ain't true....what i wrote is the truth you clueless, defensive, and really stupid bammerboobs have a problem with the truth....actually, you just have problems,period.....i could care less what goes on at your precious crapstone......the only benefit that it, and it's silly-ass fans provide to me is just a good belly laugh

Geez guy...its okay to be wrong every once in a while. Not a big deal. In this situation you are wrong. Get over it. I guess you were too busy slamming down run-on sentences and weak insults to REALLY consider all the possibilities in Spencer's situation. Your ignorant insults are becoming old and tired. Your responses are beginning to read more and more like a bad case of turrets syndrome instead of "witty banter". Then again, to be considered "witty" I guess you would need a level of mental acuity above that of a 9 year old.

Geez guy...its okay to be wrong every once in a while. Not a big deal. In this situation you are wrong. Get over it. I guess you were too busy slamming down run-on sentences and weak insults to REALLY consider all the possibilities in Spencer's situation. Your ignorant insults are becoming old and tired. Your responses are beginning to read more and more like a bad case of turrets syndrome instead of "witty banter". Then again, to be considered "witty" I guess you would need a level of mental acuity above that of a 9 year old.

138578[/snapback]

I'd love to see what would happen if one of us when to a Bama board and posted this about a member there... banned in an instant.

I don't want BG banned, just pointing out difference.

i just love when i can piss off a bammerboob.....if my retorts are so old, then why do you have someone read them to you , bammerboob? you are so defensive that you remind me of a liberal democrat..... both of you are alike in that the real truth does not matter,its what you perceive the truth to be that matters most.....in other words, if you don't like the truth, then spin, spin ,spin.......and by the way, pennington did not give up football on his own accord, he was asked to....put that in your preparation H tube and squeeze it

So tombigbee, you are saying that Spencer and his Mom are liars? I mean both of them have stated in articles that it was Spencer's decision to give up football. I'm sure you probably know more about it than Spencer himself. :rolleyes:

typical bammerboob reaction.....don't always believe what you read in the paper,especially the t-looser "views"....sometimes,stories are told to save face to the public......i don't care if your crapstone clowns bring knives and guns to the lockerroom......face it bammerboobs, you have a dysfuntional program....it's always this way,i guess....."we were the last ones to know"......open your eyes b-boobs and smell the septic tank

So tombigbee, you are saying that Spencer and his Mom are liars? I mean both of them have stated in articles that it was Spencer's decision to give up football. I'm sure you probably know more about it than Spencer himself.  :rolleyes:

138593[/snapback]

Listen, TombigbeeTiger SHOULD know, as he is actually related to Spencer.

Him and Spencer's dad are cousins. Though he won't admit it...

if a bammerboob doesn't read it(or have someone read it to him) in the tuscalooser news, or hear tommy gallion say it on fartbaum,or have it rated by forrest gump, then it ain't true....what i wrote is the truth you clueless, defensive, and really stupid bammerboobs have a problem with the truth....actually, you just have problems,period.....i could care less what goes on at your precious crapstone......the only benefit that it, and it's silly-ass fans provide to me is just a good belly laugh

138574[/snapback]

What is the big deal, and why should the Auburn Nation care whether Pennington comes back or not. He wasn't that good or that bad of a quarterback for us. I feel that he did the best that he could do this year when we needed him. He wasn't expected to be the star and he wasn't. The young man would never have a chance as a professional quaterback, but has a lot better chance of having a professional career in baseball. Doesn't it make since that he would quit football, and just concentrate on baseball? We should just be thankful that we had him this year, because who would we have put in to play if he had not been there. I think we Bama fans should appreciate him for what he tried to do, and the Auburn fans shouldn't try to tease us about why he is leaving. Please don't try to start up something in the background. In your heart you know there wasn't anything going on, but you want to stir us up, and you could really care less. Just look at those years that Campbell wasn't exactly living up to the image of a quarterback that he became. Would you have wanted a Bama fan starting some rumor about him and that he wasn't getting along with his coaches? Even, if it were true...what difference does it make?

i could care less if the whole damn place was abducted by UFO's(why would the ET'S want them) and turned into an unihabited desert where the only lifeform is ugly little purple gerbils(would not be much different than it is,now) i don't give a rats ass....what is so pitiful, is that our resident bammerboobs refuse to believe anything negative is happening at their precious little crapstone, and that anyone who knows the true story and tells it, is lying.....bammerboobs are so typical that they all look- a-like to me

138578[/snapback]

I'd love to see what would happen if one of us when to a Bama board and posted this about a member there... banned in an instant.

I don't want BG banned, just pointing out difference.

138581[/snapback]

It depends on a lot of things. First, I wouldnt have posted that if I hadnt been a member for three years. If you join a bama site and start criticizing members, thats one thing...but Ive been here so long...and taken a loooot of stuff dumped on me in stride. I think I've earned enough 'respect' around here to be able to post candid remarks without making people mad. I dont have kneejerk reactions to anti-bama comments. But also, I am not the only person here who feels this way about bigbee.

I got banned from ITAT for having "Roll Tide" in my sig.

bammerboobs are so typical that they all look- a-like to me

Like Ugly Little Purple Gerbils.........Freakin' Hilarious, how did you come up with that......I would've never had that thought in my Entire life, Ugly Little Purple Gerbils.......Still Laughin'.........Now everyone is Lookin' at me.......But, I do think that there is somethin' a little Fishy about Spencer's quiting, maybe Hula pulled his Scholly? So, he can sign another QB? Jimmy Johns? Don't know, I'm just shootin' in the dark......Okay, if Spencer quit the team and didn't have any run ins with the coachin' staff, and it was the Other QB, then what's Gilligan going to do? Transfer?............Ugly Little Purple Gerbils......."Now That's Funny, I Don't Care Who You Are".

Wow, Gabe Gross part II....a baseball player tries to help out a SINKING football team and they make the best decision for themselves to return to the sport they really like.  I say good luck to him.  :icon_thumbsup:

138282[/snapback]

I bet Gabe is glad he quit FB to work full time on BB. It has worked out very good for him. I hope it works out well for Spencer as well.

how did you know that hornet?.....i really didn't want these little pissant bammerboobs to know that....jeff, is that you?.....if thats you, then hell, you are just as kin to them as i am

138605[/snapback]

Sorry, I don't know "Jeff" and neither is that my name. :no:

I'm a girl from Curry, Al.

My name is Sherri. :cheer:

HIIIIGH SHERRI. I can't see where there's anything fishy or secretive about SP leaving football. First off, let's assume that what they have stated as his reasons are true. Why wouldn't they be? The guy was third string and was in that position on the depth chart for a reason. Next year, Croyle is back, Guillon is back, there's 2-3 top QB's being signed in the freshman class. SP will go back to third string or worse if one of the freshmen turns out to be the real deal. Barring the same freak injuries next year, he ain't playin' period.

Let's look at the year after next. Is SP going to make a career out of playing football? No! Could he have a career after Bama in baseball? Who knows but he certainly has a better shot there than in football. Couple all that with the fact that he suffered 2 concussions and you have to ask yourself why he would continue to play. It was probably a dream of his to play college football and like Gross, he fulfilled that dream and led an SEC team on some of the biggest stages in football. Been there, done that. No future in it. Now let's try something else.

Pennington was redshirted in baseball last season after separating his throwing shoulder and has three years of eligibility left in that sport, playing first base and outfield. He turned down a six-figure signing bonus after being drafted by the Chicago Cubs out of Fayette County High School.

http://si.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/01/12...n.ap/index.html

138333[/snapback]

However, it was widely reported he accepted a Ford Explorer to play football for the Tide...

Well guys while it may be fun to talk about Spencer Pennington leaving the team, remember we had the exact thing happen to us. Remember Josh Sullivan leaving the football team to concentrate on baseball. It is common for athletes to do that if they are

taking up two sports in college. The most common change is football/baseball athletes to pick baseball. In the long run, baseball is easier to play longer, based on the greater possibility of career ending injuries in football. It is easy at the high school level, to do both sports, but once you get to the college level, it is really tough. One season over, and you got offseason, while playing the other sport. Add classes on there and it is pretty much impossible for anyone to juggle that kind of load.

The difference is we had the depth to warrant Sullivan leaving the team. We had the recruits. I'm sure that " That other school in Alabama" is probably trying their best to recruit a QB just to add depth. If they don't they'll probably experience what they did this year. I don't know how much more injuries Croyle can sustain. Also I just wonder how Croyle is going to come back after not playing or practicing for almost an entire season.

HIIIIGH SHERRI.  I can't see where there's anything fishy or secretive about SP leaving football.  First off, let's assume that what they have stated as his reasons are true.  Why wouldn't they be?  The guy was third string and was in that position on the depth chart for a reason.  Next year, Croyle is back, Guillon is back, there's 2-3 top QB's being signed in the freshman class.  SP will go back to third string or worse if one of the freshmen turns out to be the real deal.  Barring the same freak injuries next year, he ain't playin' period.

Let's look at the year after next.  Is SP going to make a career out of playing football?  No!  Could he have a career after Bama in baseball?  Who knows but he certainly has a better shot there than in football.  Couple all that with the fact that he suffered 2 concussions and you have to ask yourself why he would continue to play.  It was probably a dream of his to play college football and like Gross, he fulfilled that dream and led an SEC team on some of the biggest stages in football.  Been there, done that.  No future in it.  Now let's try something else.

138832[/snapback]

Thanks esquire. I think you hit the nail on the head.

The only Bama QB even RUMORED/ to have any type of conflict with Coach Shula was Guillon. And that is a rumor that Guillon himself has disputed.

138360[/snapback]

Precisely. There were no stories coming out about conflicts between Spencer and Shula.

Pennington was redshirted in baseball last season after separating his throwing shoulder and has three years of eligibility left in that sport, playing first base and outfield. He turned down a six-figure signing bonus after being drafted by the Chicago Cubs out of Fayette County High School.

http://si.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/01/12...n.ap/index.html

138333[/snapback]

However, it was widely reported he accepted a Ford Explorer to play football for the Tide...

138858[/snapback]

:wacko: :bs::slapfh: :roll:

Archived