The Brutal West-Division

StatTiger

This is why I would not complain about Auburn relocating to the East division.

Right now it seems nice to play an Eastern division schedule, but it wasn't that long ago when the East was stronger and someone could win the West with a 5-3 conference record. The pendulum will swing back towards the East at some point if you ask me....which you didn't lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No to argue with your facts Stat but even Barton with 247 opt a piece a few days ago that said he actually ranks players to some degree based on who they sign with, thus giving uat an advantage over the past few years because the media has worshipped the ground that saben has walked on. I once seen an article by someone who was an expert at judging talent and he said that the difference between the top ten or fifteen ranked classed were separated only by someones opinion not necessarily by actual talent. And winning championships have a lot of luck involved just like this year. If not for a fluke last second play by Arky to push OM to a tie and an eventual win by Arky, then uat would not have made the playoffs at all.. Winning will always be more about team Chemistry than talent. That is exactly why you see FCS teams beat P5 teams at times. We have the talent every year to win. We just have to get players to buy in as in 2004, 2010 and 2013, and we have to have some luck like other teams have also. I cannot remember the last really dominate team from wire to wire to win a NC. WDE

No to argue with your facts Stat but even Barton with 247 opt a piece a few days ago that said he actually ranks players to some degree based on who they sign with, thus giving uat an advantage over the past few years because the media has worshipped the ground that saben has walked on. I once seen an article by someone who was an expert at judging talent and he said that the difference between the top ten or fifteen ranked classed were separated only by someones opinion not necessarily by actual talent. And winning championships have a lot of luck involved just like this year. If not for a fluke last second play by Arky to push OM to a tie and an eventual win by Arky, then uat would not have made the playoffs at all.. Winning will always be more about team Chemistry than talent. That is exactly why you see FCS teams beat P5 teams at times. We have the talent every year to win. We just have to get players to buy in as in 2004, 2010 and 2013, and we have to have some luck like other teams have also. I cannot remember the last really dominate team from wire to wire to win a NC. WDE

I agree with just about everything you wrote but my point was not about the accuracy of talent evaluation or what it takes to win a championship. I have no doubt that many players are not evaluated correctly. There have been many 4-star recruits on paper that showed up at Auburn but never performed like one. On the flip side, there have been many underrated players that ended up being hidden gems for the Tigers.

My primary point was to show how the level of competition has changed in the SEC over the past 15 years and it is more to difficult to win the SEC than ever. I remember scanning schedules during the 1980's and knowing that there were maybe 2-3 challenging games on he schedule. Teams like Ole Miss and Miss State were an easy win for the most part. That was when there were 10 teams in the SEC. It expanded to 12 in 1992 and now 14 since 2012. Back in the early 80's we played 6 conference games. Now it is 8 and a ninth if you are fortunate enough to win your Division. Odds are, the 9th conference game will be against another ranked team. Teams like Arkansas and Miss State are not pushovers anymore and Ole Miss is slowly pushing its way to be an actual contender to win not just the West but the SEC. If not for a fluke 4th down desperation play by Arkansas, Ole Miss wins the West and crushes Florida in the SECCG for their first conference title since the 60's.

Again, I agree with what you wrote. I myself do not get too involved in recruiting rankings than I am recruiting for actual needs. Recruiting sites are now part of the college game and a big money business. Football fans live and breath football 24-7, so recruiting sites are popular all year long.

War Eagle!

I cannot remember the last really dominate team from wire to wire to win a NC. WDE

Mine would be Texas 2005. Began the season #2 in the AP Poll. By the end of the season they not only defeated the "greatest team ever" in USC according to ESPN but Texas finished with an average ranking of 11.8 in 14 of the major statistical categories. They also faced the 7th most difficult schedule that season.

I distinctly remember a poster or two on here that swore the SEC was down this year. I vehemently disagreed with them. The conference is tougher than ever and sadly enough after the last two years I get a sickening feeling that AU has been left behind.

I distinctly remember a poster or two on here that swore the SEC was down this year. I vehemently disagreed with them. The conference is tougher than ever and sadly enough after the last two years I get a sickening feeling that AU has been left behind.

Someone made a post in rivals about how "bad" the SEC was in the 2015/16 season. Then the SEC went on to win more bowl games as a conference in the history of bowl games and the OP never came back to eat his or her crow.

From 1970-2015 (46 seasons), the 2015 season was 7th best in terms of the percentages of teams that went to bowl games and 10th in overall win percentage.

Looks like someone did not watch the UF/OM game in the swamp last year. It was the rebels that got "crushed". They did not match up with the gators at all. 38 - 10 and it wasn't that close I remember OM got a cheap one with a few seconds left. Of course that was before Grier got suspended.

Someone made a post in rivals about how "bad" the SEC was in the 2015/16 season. Then the SEC went on to win more bowl games as a conference in the history of bowl games and the OP never came back to eat his or her crow.

Might have been me and I still think so...bowl game wins don't mean much IMO....and in the opinion of lots of folks but the SEC did indeed have a good year but if you look at some regular season games...which get more attention from the players, there were some embarrassing close calls or losses. The top several teams were good but the bottom half of the league did not look that inside or outside of conference.

Just so happens that AU is in the part of the SEC that has been strong lately. I'm sure most folks would agree that for the last few years our SEC W-L would have looked lots better if our schedule included Kentucky, Vandy, Missouri and USCe each year along with UT, FLa and UGa..

Looks like someone did not watch the UF/OM game in the swamp last year. It was the rebels that got "crushed". They did not match up with the gators at all. 38 - 10 and it wasn't that close I remember OM got a cheap one with a few seconds left. Of course that was before Grier got suspended.

Will Greir was the starting QB for the Gators when they defeated Ole Miss and Ole Miss had several key starters out due to injury and NCAA inquiry.. By the end of the year, UF had no identity on offense, injuries on the OL as well as their defense. They beat Vandy by only 3, lucked out to beat Florida Atlantic and were beat by an average score of 32-8 during their last 3 games of the season. I guess someone did not watch how the Gator's season panned out after Grier was suspended.

Will Greir was the starting QB for the Gators when they defeated Ole Miss and Ole Miss had several key starters out due to injury and NCAA inquiry.. By the end of the year, UF had no identity on offense, injuries on the OL as well as their defense. They beat Vandy by only 3, lucked out to beat Florida Atlantic and were beat by an average score of 32-8 during their last 3 games of the season. I guess someone did not watch how the Gator's season panned out after Grier was suspended.

Another team that lived (and died) according to their starting QB.

And I see the guy who backed up Grier for the most of the season is now a WR. Guess they gave up on him.

We were 1 QB away fr0m being a 10 win team in 2015. LSU understands this vividly as well.....

We were 1 QB away fr0m being a 10 win team in 2015. LSU understands this vividly as well.....

The bad thing is that both schools had the QBs they wanted. And lots of schools were 1 QB away from a few more wins. QBs are the name of the game now a days.

Great thread! Many very good points have been made. We live in a world (the SEC west) in which there is very little margin for error. Weaknesses cannot be concealed. They will be exploited.

One of my favorite posts in this thread basically says it all. We finished in the top 10% in the nation in recruiting. That is "middle of the pack" in the SEC west. That is perspective.

Great thread! Many very good points have been made. We live in a world (the SEC west) in which there is very little margin for error. Weaknesses cannot be concealed. They will be exploited.

One of my favorite posts in this thread basically says it all. We finished in the top 10% in the nation in recruiting. That is "middle of the pack" in the SEC west. That is perspective.

I used the phrase "tough neighborhood" earlier, but

"cannibalistic" could apply as well.

I think Florida takes a step back this year--losses to LSU, Tenn, Arky, FSU and maybe GA.

I think we were one Leader away from a very good team this year. Cam was a great QB but also a great leader that motivated his teammates. There were others on that team that also motivated the other players, Kodi burns comes to mind. In 2013 besides NM and Tre, there was also Reese and a couple of other leaders that motivated the team. Last year we just did not have that person step up on either side. Carl did to some degree after his return. We were looking for Duke to do that but that did not work out well.That is why having a senior laden team is so important. Whether it is the QB or someone else we have to have some leaders step up. That what we need to win. Leaders develop leaders also. This is where Gus need to put some responsibility on the players. Some good coaches give a group of upperclassmen the job of policing the others by way of a council. I think it helps team players to take ownership of their work ethics. WDE

I believe leadership has to be recruited and evaluated just like a 40 time. I also think anybody can be a leader not just a senior. If you don't ever experience it being done right there aren't any advantages to being a senior

I believe leadership has to be recruited and evaluated just like a 40 time. I also think anybody can be a leader not just a senior. If you don't ever experience it being done right there aren't any advantages to being a senior

good point...one would think being a senior=maturity but as we've seen, that is not always the case.

We definitely have some leaders on D. Need some on O.

True...at this point it's hard to pick one out that perhaps Kozan is a prospect....so many new guys ....we just haven't seen them enough to figure who has the respect of the team.

My early west predictions:

#1--Alabama (8-0)

#2--LSU (6-2)

#3--Ole Miss (5-3)

#4--Auburn (4-4)

#5--Arkansas (4-4)

#6--A&M (4-4)

#7--MSU (2-6)

I think we average about 25-26 points in SEC play and our SEC opponents average 22-23 points. 2017 and 2018 had better be at least 9-10 win seasons. MISSISSIPPI STATE reached that level the last two years, and so should we.

It's still unreal to think that Miss. State, Ole Miss and Arkansas had better teams and coaching staffs then what we had last year.

My early west predictions:

#1--Alabama (8-0)

#2--LSU (6-2)

#3--Ole Miss (5-3)

#4--Auburn (4-4)

#5--Arkansas (4-4)

#6--A&M (4-4)

#7--MSU (2-6)

I think we average about 25-26 points in SEC play and our SEC opponents average 22-23 points. 2017 and 2018 had better be at least 9-10 win seasons. MISSISSIPPI STATE reached that level the last two years, and so should we.

Those numbers are low for Auburn and exceptionallly low for our SECWest opponents. In 2015 our West opponents averaged scoring 33 ppg and gave up an average 22 ppg in the regular season. We averaged 27 ppg on offense and gave up 27 ppg in the 2015 regular season landing us last in the West.

I just don't see our West opponents offenses dropping down 10 ppg less than what they've been scoring. I hope like hell Gus can get our O average up above the 27 ppg we scored in '15 and Steele gets out D down below the 27 ppg we've seen for years.

^I think the SEC will be far more defensive this year than it has been in recent times. If we can go without injuries, this might be our best defense since the Tubs years. Bold yes, but it's what I think. CL coming back may well end up saving Gus's job.

Goals for this season, to elaborate (counting bowls as win total):

-At least 8 wins

-At least 4th in the west

-At least a Group of Six bowl (Belk, Gator, Liberty, Music City, Outback, Texas)

And to look further into the future:

-At least 9 wins in 2017 and '18, and at least 10 wins in one of those two years

Archived