2016 Grad Transfer LB T.J. Neal (AU commit 2/16/16)

meh130

He states not happy with the new staff at IL wanting to move his outside from inside LB. Do we have a true LB position in CKS's defense?

Playing with/next to Williams, he'd ball out

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He states not happy with the new staff at IL wanting to move his outside from inside LB. Do we have a true LB position in CKS's defense?

JMO but that is a nice way of him saying that the new coaching staff does not interest him and the team is in trouble. He's leaving and does not want to burn too many bridges behind him....and looking for a place where he's needed. Despite its problems with the SEC West, AU is still a pretty solid team and a big step up from where he is now.

agreed. he will get a lot more recognition playing at au than he will at Illinois. the nfl is going to notice him,regardless, if he is good, but the sec is a much better place to go........especially if you are good. kid amassed 200 tackles in 2 years. even against weak competition that is strong. I say come on down. how much do you think this has to do with a former teammate joining the team as well? could be a really good thing for us. now if we could just get flex on the team too we could be set! :-)

JMO but that is a nice way of him saying that the new coaching staff does not interest him and the team is in trouble. He's leaving and does not want to burn too many bridges behind him....and looking for a place where he's needed. Despite its problems with the SEC West, AU is still a pretty solid team and a big step up from where he is now.

He is the seventh graduated senior with eligibility to transfer out of the Illinois football program this year.

Head football coach only has a two year contract and the AD is on an interim status. Not ideal.

Pennsylvania ALWAYS puts out tough LBs. Go Steelers!!!

By the way, why do some of these guys want to take their last eligibility year and go somewhere else for only 1 year to play? Why not just finish out wher they were? In this case, it was reported the coach wanted to move him to OLB and he has always played the MLB spot?

I wonder where he would play if he comes to AU?

By the way, why do some of these guys want to take their last eligibility year and go somewhere else for only 1 year to play? Why not just finish out wher they were? In this case, it was reported the coach wanted to move him to OLB and he has always played the MLB spot?

Same reason why you see a lot of pro guys swap teams for one last run at a title - just doesn't think the team is gonna be very good (or is upset with the coaching staff and how things are being run) and wants to go try things somewhere else.

Without anything else to go on, I'd assume he and Tre Williams would take over the 2 ILB spots next year

I can't come up with any earthly reason we wouldn't take him

What if there is someone out there better? But sounds like he might be a notch above what we have except for maybe Williams. We really don't know about McBride. though.

Don't know where Neal came down in situation but Ill fired it's coach at the beginning of the season. Check this if you wonder why he might leave.

http://espn.go.com/c...fighting-illini

Good time for him to bail and find a place with better prospects.

Let's get this young man on the plains. Sounds like a solid tackler and his seniority and experience should bled well with our youngsters.

I agree. Really nothing to lose and everything to gain. Slot available. Who cares about EE for next year. We need help now.

Have you ever lived in Illinois for 3 years? I think that would answer your questions.

Any of our LB prospects going to be EE?

Sorry, meant EE for 2017.

Well, Auburn takes this player from Illinois, it will help give a few of our young LBs another year to mature.

Supposedly had an Auburn offer back in 2012.

Wants to play closer to home, which is McKeesport, PA. Pitt or Penn State (which is not on the Illini '16 schedule) the most likely landing spots.

In 1 article he said distance was not a factor at all.

Gus needs to expedite the process and get him signed asap. I would guess at the current time if we had to put a star rating on him, I would think that a 4 star rating would be a true assessment of his talent and experience.

I agree with an earlier post about Illinois being a drab place to live. Pretty much the whole rust belt could fall into that assessment. Pennsylvania has some beautiful country particularly the mountains in the west.

Gus needs to expedite the process and get him signed asap. I would guess at the current time if we had to put a star rating on him, I would think that a 4 star rating would be a true assessment of his talent and experience.

Grad transfers don't sign anything binding. They enroll where they choose.

Archived