2017 4* LB Tadarian "TD" Moultry signs with AU (Updated)

WarDamnEagleWDE

Good read on TD

What kind of player is Auburn getting in Jackson-Olin linebacker T.D. Moultry?

Jackson-Olin's Jonathan McIntosh – one of Moultry's teammates – shared a short story about Moultry today at Jefferson/Shelby County high school football media day that provides insight into the senior linebacker's character.

Moultry, it seems, missed the bus, but that didn't stop him from getting to Jackson-Olin's campus in Ensley.

"He ran all the way to the school," McIntosh said. "When he got there, his body looked like he had got out of a swimming pool."

How many teenagers would do that? Moultry later told AL.com that his teammates got the story a little twisted. He said he wasn't at home, but rather at a family member's home.

The distance? He said walking to the school from there was at least an hour. "But I was running," he emphasized.

Moultry, a 6-foot-2, 225-pounder who committed to Auburn earlier this spring, is moving from safety to middle linebacker for the Mustangs this season. Coach Tim Vakakes said Moultry has made a strong transition to linebacker.

"The thing that makes T.D. special ... he's one of our hardest workers, if not the hardest worker, on our team," Vakakes said. "He's a natural chaser to the ball, a natural tackler of the ball."

T.D. Moultry motivated to succeed

Moultry missed his freshman and sophomore seasons – first forced to sit out as a freshman after transferring to Jackson-Olin and then missing his sophomore season after suffering a gunshot wound. Moultry has said the gunshot made him better appreciate his ability play football.

McIntosh agreed and said the rest of Moultry's Jackson-Olin teammates recognize him as a leader.

"He was like a new person," McIntosh said.

Moultry, it appears, is the kind of person who will run to school after missing the bus. 

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Thanks for posting this E. I did not realize Moultry had been through so much. He really does not have that much football experience. He very likely should get even better.

What a story.  Truly blessed to have this kid.  If his heart and mind are in the right place and they appear to be he could turn out to be a super star

• 2 months later...

His uncle sent me the link for his highlights from this past week's game. Great vision and football IQ. Not to mention, he is a very quick guy for being that big. I can see him ending up as a DE for us in the future, similar to Holland.

Edited by au_bsci_04
  • Like 3

Another win by JO and another good game for TD. Prior to the Hueytown game, TD had 89 tackles (42 solo), a forced fumble, 8 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 5 quarterback pressures, 2 pass breakups and two blocked punts on the year. He is outperforming all other LBs and DEs in the state and making a pretty good case to jump up to state rankings (currently #6). Wouldn’t surprise me if he worked his way to the top of ILB class (#6 here as well).

• Like 3

17 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Another win by JO and another good game for TD. Prior to the Hueytown game, TD had 89 tackles (42 solo), a forced fumble, 8 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 5 quarterback pressures, 2 pass breakups and two blocked punts on the year. He is outperforming all other LBs and DEs in the state and making a pretty good case to jump up to state rankings (currently #6). Wouldn’t surprise me if he worked his way to the top of ILB class (#6 here as well).

He also showed that he is a Class Act guy. He turned down an offer to play in the Alabama Mississippi All-Star Game so another in-state kid can get an opportunity to show what they can do. He is still playing in the army National All-Star Game in January and that will be his big shot to move up in the rankings.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

He also showed that he is a Class Act guy. He turned down an offer to play in the Alabama Mississippi All-Star Game so another in-state kid can get an opportunity to show what they can do. He is still playing in the army National All-Star Game in January and that will be his big shot to move up in the rankings.

For real? Wow. Impressive.

With apologies to the dead horse, I've got to opine once again that Gus has, for the most part, stocked our roster with character to match the talent. I haven't always had full faith in his choir boy image, but for every Duke or Elijah Daniel there have been 10 or more uncommonly good dudes. TD sounds like one from the latter group. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2016 at 5:52 AM, JFDTiger80 said:

Thanks for posting this E. I did not realize Moultry had been through so much. He really does not have that much football experience. He very likely should get even better.

Yeah glad they did a story on this..I found a story from a few years ago and posted it earlier this year. 

He's come a long way. Hasn't played much football but has the potential to be a good one

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Why mute it @jared52 ?  I thought the call was pretty funny.

He probably meant it as turn down the volume, that "WOW" if you're at max sound or on head phones could hurt your ears.

Two comments...

1. Why can't college players learn to tackle like that instead of going for the head.

2. The thing I liked the most is, instead of showboating, he actually told his teammates to keep the celebration down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Two comments...

1. Why can't college players learn to tackle like that instead of going for the head.

2. The thing I liked the most is, instead of showboating, he actually told his teammates to keep the celebration down.

Going to fill D. Davis's leadership role like a boss when DD is playing pro ball. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, wareagle13 said:

He probably meant it as turn down the volume, that "WOW" if you're at max sound or on head phones could hurt your ears.

Yes, but I thought the color commentator was a bit annoying going on about wanting video when it's CLEARLY being filmed. To each his own I guess.

So in the past few days i've seen some interesting commentary on TD. These comments seem to indicate that TD is line for a vast ratings boost. Recruiting experts, do you think with a strong finish and a good showing at the all-star game TD could jump into top 50 or even 5 star territory? Barton simmons at 247 has likened him to reuben foster.

9 hours ago, wareagle13 said:

So in the past few days i've seen some interesting commentary on TD. These comments seem to indicate that TD is line for a vast ratings boost. Recruiting experts, do you think with a strong finish and a good showing at the all-star game TD could jump into top 50 or even 5 star territory? Barton simmons at 247 has likened him to reuben foster.

Top 100 yes. Top 50 or 5 star unlikely. It would require massive jumps by ESPN and Scout. Scout is usually very slow to make rankings jumps.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Bump

Bumped up yesterday by 247 to top 50 overall prospect, #1 in Alabama, & #1 ILB in the nation. AU is recruiting him at OLB.  He was also named 1 of 16 finalists for the US Army National Player Of The Year Award yesterday.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Hope Travis can dance ? 

He can do better than dance. He can rap baby!

Edited by ellitor