2017 4* DE Ryan Johnson

WarDamnEagleWDE

I thought he had committed to us. Have we offered him? I hate seeing all of the bammer twitter crap.

Has not committed yet. I won't rule out an early commit to the good guys. DC won't get beat out on a kid in Mobile that DC & AU really want unless the kid is just ate up uat.

I guess Casher would fall under that category?

DC got Casher...to fsu

You're thinking of Chris Casher. Jam was referring to Josh Casher. Josh was an AU commit who had his offer later pulled due to the games he was playing.

Correct. The Center out of Mobile that was good friends with Williams and Davis. If I remember correctly he was the #1rated C in the country or close to it. Ended up at turdtown and probably hasn't even seen the field.

Maybe next year, their center Kelly, (who didn't know who Lawson was when he started his first iron bowl against us and Lawson made the biggest play of his career), will be gone. If my history is correct.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update from al.com http://www.al.com/sp...er_index_topics

St. Paul's four-star defensive end Ryan Johnson named a top 12 recently, highlighted by in-state schools Alabama and Auburn. Now, the 6-foot-3, 253-pound Johnson is ready to trim that list.

Johnson said he's still looking at all 12 schools – Alabama, Auburn, Duke, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Stanford, Tennessee and USC.

"Everything's going great," Johnson said at the Southeastern Line Camp on Monday. "I'm probably going to narrow down to a top seven before the season. I haven't really made up my mind where I'm going yet, but just trying to stay open."

Alabama is coming hard at Johnson. He noted that current commits Alex Leatherwood, an offensive tackle from Pensacola, Fla., and VanDarius Cowan, a linebacker from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., are in his ear.

"I talk to (defensive coordinator) Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt a lot, I would say, three or four days out of the week," Johnson said. "They're all trying to get me to come up there. I just talked to Alex Leatherwood. He's trying to get me to come up there with them. VanDarius Cowan, different people telling me how I can be an asset to them and make their recruiting class better than it already is."

Johnson said the "business-like mentality" is what sets Alabama apart.

"Everything is set toward graduating and pursuing a future after football, whether it's NFL or being successful in your own business," Johnson said. "Just having a lot of connections, and they're one of the top programs in the country coming off a national championship. It's a program with a lot of success."

Johnson visited Auburn for its Big Cat Weekend earlier this month and remains impressed with the program.

"I like the homely feel," Johnson said. "They're losing a lot of people, so I think I could come in and play a lot and have an impact my freshman year, and the opportunity to compete."

Johnson said he frequently speaks with head coach Gus Malzahn, assistants Kevin Steele and Rodney Garner and linebacker Tre' Williams, a former player at St. Paul's.

"They're all trying to get me to come up there and play with them and make their team better," Johnson said.

Academics are important for Johnson, who plans to major in engineering. He also said he's looking for a place where he feels at home and a program that "sets me up to be successful in life."

His decision may not be known until National Signing Day. Johnson is the No. 187 national recruit and No. 6 strong side defensive end in the 247Sports composite.

"I'll probably get my word to a school before then and have an idea where I'm going and make it public then," Johnson said.

St. Paul's four-star defensive end Ryan Johnson named a top 12 recently, highlighted by in-state schools Alabama and Auburn. Now, the 6-foot-3, 253-pound Johnson is ready to trim that list.

Johnson said he's still looking at all 12 schools – Alabama, Auburn, Duke, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Stanford, Tennessee and USC.

"Everything's going great," Johnson said at the Southeastern Line Camp on Monday. "I'm probably going to narrow down to a top seven before the season. I haven't really made up my mind where I'm going yet, but just trying to stay open."

Alabama is coming hard at Johnson. He noted that current commits Alex Leatherwood, an offensive tackle from Pensacola, Fla., and VanDarius Cowan, a linebacker from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., are in his ear.

"I talk to (defensive coordinator) Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt a lot, I would say, three or four days out of the week," Johnson said. "They're all trying to get me to come up there. I just talked to Alex Leatherwood. He's trying to get me to come up there with them. VanDarius Cowan, different people telling me how I can be an asset to them and make their recruiting class better than it already is."

"Everything is set toward graduating and pursuing a future after football, whether it's NFL or being successful in your own business," Johnson said. "Just having a lot of connections, and they're one of the top programs in the country coming off a national championship. It's a program with a lot of success."

Johnson visited Auburn for its Big Cat Weekend earlier this month and remains impressed with the program.

"I like the homely feel," Johnson said. "They're losing a lot of people, so I think I could come in and play a lot and have an impact my freshman year, and the opportunity to compete."

Johnson said he frequently speaks with head coach Gus Malzahn, assistants Kevin Steele and Rodney Garner and linebacker Tre' Williams, a former player at St. Paul's.

"They're all trying to get me to come up there and play with them and make their team better," Johnson said.

Academics are important for Johnson, who plans to major in engineering. He also said he's looking for a place where he feels at home and a program that "sets me up to be successful in life."

His decision may not be known until National Signing Day. Johnson is the No. 187 national recruit and No. 6 strong side defensive end in the 247Sports composite.

"I'll probably get my word to a school before then and have an idea where I'm going and make it public then," Johnson said.

Says he wants to major in engineering. That should be good for us. Does Bama even offer Engineering as a major?

Says he wants to major in engineering. That should be good for us. Does Bama even offer Engineering as a major?

Bama has a comparable engineering program, actually. Under the radar but still very good

In my experience it is not comparable ... At least civil

When recruiting against the gumps, majors are often irrelevant. Remember the the comparisons of the architecture programs?

When recruiting against the gumps, majors are often irrelevant. Remember the the comparisons of the architecture programs?

In the early 2000's or so, Bama decided they had to catch up to Auburn. They have closed the gap tremendously. A multi million dollar Shelby Hall among other million dollar Engineering research Centers were put in so I can imagine the program is attracting good professors and students.

In the early 2000's or so, Bama decided they had to catch up to Auburn. They have closed the gap tremendously. A multi million dollar Shelby Hall among other million dollar Engineering research Centers were also put in so I can imagine the program is attracting good professors and students.

Agreed. They are both really good programs. I remember I was looking out of state while deciding. I told some people the schools, and these engineers said, why would you go out of state...you have two of the best engineering schools right near you.

Ultimately went architecture which is the best in the south.

In the early 2000's or so, Bama decided they had to catch up to Auburn. They have closed the gap tremendously. A multi million dollar Shelby Hall among other million dollar Engineering research Centers were also put in so I can imagine the program is attracting good professors and students.

Agreed. T

George Castanza????

Unfortunately, the most productive civils I've hired in the last 10 years came from UAB. Auburn's civils are better technical engineers but less mature. Bama's? Ummm, the one recent one we hired, the only one I thought was worth hiring, didn't work out. Of course these are generalizations ... Simply stating my experience only. Others may have different experiences hiring engineers.

Agreed. T

George Castanza????

No he was my class mate. I wonder what happened to him.

Agreed. They are both really good programs. I remember I was looking out of state while deciding. I told some people the schools, and these engineers said, why would you go out of state...you have two of the best engineering schools right near you.

Just to back you up on how good Auburn Architecture is:

http://www.archdaily.com/776718/the-best-us-architecture-schools-for-2016-are

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

5 CBs to AU yesterday. Commit watch?

No word of it. Keith said yesterday that D'Marcus Hayes was the only 1 to possibly watch. 

On 7/7/2016 at 8:10 PM, ellitor said:

Added Jr & Soph Highlights to the OP. Link

E. I went to look at the highlights you posted but it says they are private. FYI

9 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

E. I went to look at the highlights you posted but it says they are private. FYI

That means Ryan changed his highlight settings and there is nothing I can do about it unless he has public highlights to upload.

6 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Ryan is AU. I'm not sure when but I will be VERY surprised if he ends up anywhere but AU. Make no mistake either UAT wants him in their dline class.

I am not disappointed in this news.

not sure where the change took place, but I am very pleased to know that my alma mater has finally come around and started having some of the kids come play for the good guys.  too historically a ua school.  too much time, but thank goodness nevertheless!

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

ANything new here?

Still AU believed favorite with Bama & Stanford pushing. Still not committing soon.

Archived