2017 4* DE Ryan Johnson

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Sugar coat it however, Stanford blah, blah, blah....This is an in-state player that we needed to fill a yawning gap in this year's class. It's a major loss.

I hate Stanford anyway. 1967 baseball College World Series.... back in those days the CWS used the rules of major league baseball. So in the 6th inning Stanford is ahead by one run, Auburn has the bases loaded with the meat of the order up and it starts to rain. And it rains. After a bit the umps call the game and Stanford wins.

1989 Women's NCAA championship game (the final TWO!) The first year of the 3-point shot. Auburn has by far the best players. Stanford has a team of 6 foot spot shooters. So they pass the ball around the arc and shoot three pointers all day and win.

I HATE STANFORD!

Absolutely a major loss. Kid has been telling people for two years he was going to AU. One of these by our staff............

miss a

8 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

E still no chance on LB Patterson? Wish we had offered

No more LBs expected.

8 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Coach RG is the only guy I seen as Failed this season. Think everyone else done fine job.

Well even though it was his first year on the trail Kodi vastly under performed too. The original plan was to take 2-3 WRs. That had to be adjusted to 1 because Kodi struggled. Yes I know he had to deal with circumstances of being in a heavy run O that didn't get the ball to WRs much but bottom line is the plans were not met. Heck before CDC left we had the lead for Nico Collins. After he left Nico didn't even talk to AU.

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

What makes this more painful is the fact that we could have had MJ Webb, but we were told that the coaches saw Webb as the exact same player as Ryan Johnson. So we elected to wait for Johnson....

Yup!

9 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Coach RG is the only guy I seen as Failed this season. Think everyone else done fine job.

There just were not to many guys out there this year which makes recruiting difficult. Then with the bumper class from last year PT was not quite a given. When you only have a few to go after and one of your competitors is Stanford it again makes it hard. I don't thing RG struck out as much as there wasn't enough talent available.  Hopefully next year there is another great class of D-Linemen and hopefully both Carl and Montravious will go in 1st two rounds so that RG can show that to recruits. It looks like if we can get some ee's in next year we can use them toward this class and maybe sign 27 guys next year.

3 hours ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

This was a piss poor DL crop anyways(compared to previous years). Garner definitely DID NOT take this recruiting cycle off....

Thats fine. Where are we with 2018 prospects, if the class was that poor that would suggest a smaller sample  to evaluate.  Then why were we not  on some guys sooner?   For an elite recruiter i don't see how  miss on almost every prospect even in a down year.   He better have an amazing group for 2018.

19 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I do not agree with a lot of this note. I lived in Menlo Park, CA. Just one town away from Palo Alto where Stanford is.

1. Stanford is not borderline Ivy league. It is right there with almost all Ivy league schools and ranked higher than some.
Stanford is borderline Ivy league, because even though it outranks some Ivy League schools.... it's not in the Ivy League.

2. The weather is close to perfect in this area with only about 20 inches of rain a year. Houses don't typically need air conditioning either as it rarely gets that hot. While in Alabama you go from occasional snow in Winter to "Am I living in an oven?" in the summer.

3. The beaches are complete crap in Northern California. The water is freezing. You have to wear a full wet suit to get in. It is also very rough.
Beaches are used for a lot more than swimming... and let's face it... football players are much more interested in girls in bikinis than they are swimming.

4. The girls at AU are better than the girls at Stanford, not ever close.
I won't argue that the girls at AU are more attractive than the girls at Stanford, but there are more attractive girls within an hour of Stanford than there are within an hour of Auburn.

5. It is extremely expensive to live in this area. A house in the Auburn area that may cost $250,000 would easily cost between $1M and $2M in Palo Alto.
Football players don't care... they live for free.

6. No matter what a few of you said, Stanford is a very liberal school, esp compared to AU.
Every school is liberal compared to AU... AU was voted the most conservative school in the country.

7. Auburn can't compete with Stanford when it comes to cost of education either. 4 years at Stanford would cost in the neighborhood of $300K right now.
Football players don't care... they go to school for free. Technically that means a football player is getting a better deal going to Stanford.

8. There are lots of things AU has over Stanford, including girls, proximity to home, excellent education for the money, cost of living. I could go on and on. Proximity to home is the big thing for the player in question. I he had chosen Auburn. I wouldn't have back then, but that is because I didn't know how great Auburn was going to be. Now I'm glad I didn't get the choice. That's the intangible that really makes Auburn stand out... the family.  There is no Stanford family.

See above...

3 hours ago, AUTiger2012 said:

Thats fine. Where are we with 2018 prospects, if the class was that poor that would suggest a smaller sample  to evaluate.  Then why were we not  on some guys sooner?   For an elite recruiter i don't see how  miss on almost every prospect even in a down year.   He better have an amazing group for 2018.

How quickly we forget. Derrick Brown, Antwuan Jackson, Marlon Davidson, Paul James, Nick Coe, Tashawn Manning...do any of those names ring a bell? I'm willing to bet my goatee, that CRG more than makes amends in 2018.:jossun::jossun::jossun:

4 minutes ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

How quickly we forget. Derrick Brown, Antwuan Jackson, Marlon Davidson, Paul James, Nick Coe, Tashawn Manning...do any of those names ring a bell? I'm willing to bet my goatee, that CRG more than makes amends in 2018.:jossun::jossun::jossun:

He's got 1 on the board with Newkirk but yeah still has to do work.

Dang am I tired of kids growing up fans of AU and not wanting to come there to play ball.  Even if we lose out to Stanford or any other "high academic institutions". No other way to look at this than with utter disappointment.

3 hours ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

How quickly we forget that Marlon Davidson and Browbnare the only ones of those that have played a meaningful down and how quickly we forget how many contributors we are losing this year.  Also lets not forget how many  players transfer or get injured.

Paul James played meaningful football last year. He just got hurt during the year. So that's nonsense. Basically, three of the five guys that enrolled played really good football in their first season. The other two redshirted. The other guy on the list got cancer and sat for a year. He's actually part of the 2017 class (even though no one seems to remember that).

No matter how you slice it, the 2016 DL class was already a huge hit. Arguing that Garner has been anything less than great during this stint at Auburn is silly. Just silly. Dee Ford took a leap under Garner's watch. We've signed Lawson, Adams, Daniel (who was playing good ball before removing himself through no fault of Garner's), Russell (who started as a Freshman), Davidson, Brown, etc. We were down at the position when he showed up. Since then, we've put multiple DL into the league (Ford, Blackson, Wright, Lambert, and McKinzy... although he moved back to OLB). He's also been our most consistent recruiter. Again, it's impossible to argue that Garner has been anything but great since 2013. Absolutely crazy.

6 hours ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

But, he needs to get some early commits instead of all the last minute drama of the previous years.

23 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Our record landing kids who grow up Auburn "fans" takes another L. This  recruiting season is taking its toll on me. We missed on my 2 favorite defensive recruits in CJ Avery and Ryan Johnson after we felt good at times for both.  I am ready for this class to be over. We are about to miss on every big time recruit down the stretch besides Stidham. I said at the time as long as we get sitdham I would not care who we get down the stretch. Well dang! that is being put to the test now. We have to rectify this problem on the field. Only way we can overcome the negative recruiting and lack of momentum for the program once and for all. War eagle! Bring on Stidham and 10 plus wins!

but defensive line class is down!

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

Archived