Graduating transfers

TexasTiger

Don't we have a freshman coming in that is supposed to be pretty good?

That's what we hear....and if we happen to get a grad PG who takes the starting role, what happens to the development of the freshman? A year later we are back to squawking about lack of experience. And of course with much discussed tendency of BB players to transfer at the first thought that they are not getting enough playing time, who knows which promising freshman takes a hike before he plays ?.

Over dramatize much? Harper will get quality PT even if we have a GT PG starting.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Williams will/is growing into a PG, injuries slowed the process.If we grab any grad transfers, it will be in the front court.

The staff does not see New a a true PG & will likely bring in another one in this class.

I'm not too familiar with CBP's system, does it put more emphasis on the back court play or the front court play? meaning do we need more guards than forwards and centers or is it about equal in needs?

His ideal line up is 1 point, 2 wings, & 2 athletic bigs so a bit more emphasis on guard play.

What ever happened to Mike Cohen the PG from New Jersey. I remember he had played with Spencer on a club team and they both announced they were coming to Auburn he was a year behind Spencer. Then I read somewhere he would be a preferred walk on. Is he still planning on coming here or has that ship sailed?

What ever happened to Mike Cohen the PG from New Jersey. I remember he had played with Spencer on a club team and they both announced they were coming to Auburn he was a year behind Spencer. Then I read somewhere he would be a preferred walk on. Is he still planning on coming here or has that ship sailed?

Don't know but even if he is/will be here I would not count on a walk on for much.

I thought New Williams recruited as a PG.....sounds like there has been a change of plans for him. If not a PG, I'm not sure where he fits next with Brown, Dunnans, though we don't seem to be too well stocked out front next season.

I thought New Williams recruited as a PG.....sounds like there has been a change of plans for him. If not a PG, I'm not sure where he fits next with Brown, Dunnans, though we don't seem to be too well stocked out front next season.

Pearl hopes he develops into one, but he ain't close to there yet.

He's been injured off and on since HS....might have hampered his development but looking back when he was recruited, though is is "combo" guard, he was mostly identified as a PG so thought that was his natural role......

The mental part of the game is so critical for a PG that if someone is not naturally a PG its very hard to turn that player into a PG IMO.

Edit: was he labeled a PG because of his size? I haven't seen anything from NW to show he has a Power 5 PG's mind but he has played such a limited role. But you'd think if he has it in him Pearl would've given him a shot but Kiem is getting PG minutes over NW.

The mental part of the game is so critical for a PG that if someone is not naturally a PG its very hard to turn that player into a PG IMO.

Edit: was he labeled a PG because of his size? I haven't seen anything from NW to show he has a Power 5 PG's mind but he has played such a limited role. But you'd think if he has it in him Pearl would've given him a shot but Kiem is getting PG minutes over NW.

Yes, Pearl said due to size, if he gets to the next level it's as a PG.

"While freshman two-guard New Williams could be a point guard down the road, Pearl doesn’t believe he’s at that point in his development just yet.

“He could but he's got to develop left hand, right hand, playmaking ability, feel,” Pearl said. “Because of his size, it's something that he has in his future but he wasn't ready to come in and play the position. But with Tahj Shamsid-Deen and Kareem Canty, I wasn't worried that he wasn't ready. I was like, 'Hey, we can take a chance because he's a really good kid, he's a really good athlete, he can really shoot the basketball.'”"

http://m.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/bruce-pearl-remains-confident-despite-uncertainty-of-future-at-point/article_1f191a50-d37a-11e5-a705-178ad22daba2.html?mode=jqm

He's been injured off and on since HS....might have hampered his development but looking back when he was recruited, though is is "combo" guard, he was mostly identified as a PG so thought that was his natural role......

No. He's a natural combo guard. Usually means there is some PG ability there but not likely to be solely a PG unless needed to do so.

Yes, Pearl said due to size, if he gets to the next level it's as a PG.

"While freshman two-guard New Williams could be a point guard down the road, Pearl doesn't believe he's at that point in his development just yet.

"He could but he's got to develop left hand, right hand, playmaking ability, feel," Pearl said. "Because of his size, it's something that he has in his future but he wasn't ready to come in and play the position. But with Tahj Shamsid-Deen and Kareem Canty, I wasn't worried that he wasn't ready. I was like, 'Hey, we can take a chance because he's a really good kid, he's a really good athlete, he can really shoot the basketball.'""

http://m.oanow.com/s...2.html?mode=jqm

And as the 1st line implied he's a 2 right now by nature.

If you're a smaller guard but still need to develop your dribbling I doubt you're ever going to be a true point. He probably got by alot with his athleticism and that may have stunted him a lil bit. Harper isn't a set you up point either.....we need another guy

OK...that's fine...just thought I remembered him being announced as a PG....if it didn't work out...that's the way it goes...but according to this item in 247 which i was trying to remember... and found.... https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/153136

So has BP already given up on him after only a half season? Sounds like a recruiting mistake if already he's being written off as a PG. He's sure not big or strong enough to play an off guard slot in the SEC....unless there is a big physical change over this summer.

OK...that's fine...just thought I remembered him being announced as a PG....if it didn't work out...that's the way it goes...but according to this item in 247 which i was trying to remember... and found.... https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/153136

So has BP already given up on him after only a half season? Sounds like a recruiting mistake if already he's being written off as a PG. He's sure not big or strong enough to play an off guard slot in the SEC....unless there is a big physical change over this summer.

He's a true freshman who came off major knee surgery.

With his athleticism he can play two. He's just not a Chris Paul lead your team type of a guard. He's more of a scorer. Pearl had some of his best Tennessee teams with lofton as his point but he was more of a scorer/shooter

OK...that's fine...just thought I remembered him being announced as a PG....if it didn't work out...that's the way it goes...but according to this item in 247 which i was trying to remember... and found.... https://n.rivals.com...ts/maple/153136

He's a true freshman who came off major knee surgery.

This. Even if New were to develop into a PG it would be unlikely to expect him to be a quality PG in year 2 after coming off knee issues in high school & in college year 1. TSD is unlikely to be back. Harper is the only real Point we have to be on roster next season. We need an experience Point to help the 2016-17 team max their potential. Given Pearl's track record w/ guards we should be able to attract the best juco or GT point available.

I think Williams is being underestimated on where he will be next year, the ideal thing was to red shirt him. However, with missing so much practice time and now getting an opportunity to get SEC minutes, it is gonna benefit him by setting a more clear path to improve in the off season. He is without a doubt a Pearl guard, just missed too much time this year.

I think Williams is being underestimated on where he will be next year, the ideal thing was to red shirt him. However, with missing so much practice time and now getting an opportunity to get SEC minutes, it is gonna benefit him by setting a more clear path to improve in the off season. He is without a doubt a Pearl guard, just missed too much time this year.

Yes but is he a Pearl Wing Guard or will he have the mentality & the ball handling to be a Pearl Point Guard? Too soon to tell IMO.

Yes but is he a Pearl Wing Guard or will he have the mentality & the ball handling to be a Pearl Point Guard? Too soon to tell IMO.

I believe he will be prepared to handle the point, even if it is briefly, next year. He plays hard and aggressive, CBP will work on refining those great attributes.

That's wishful thinking...If you can't dribble with both hands there's going to be a long transition to being a point. And being aggressive isn't a quality you want from a point with a weak handle

That's wishful thinking...If you can't dribble with both hands there's going to be a long transition to being a point. And being aggressive isn't a quality you want from a point with a weak handle

So tell me again why we brought this young man all the way from California to play at Auburn? Could have probably found a "one handed" combo guard in Birmingham or Atlanta it seems. If your evaluation is on target...this is a big disappointment.

Meanwhile, I hope TS-D calls it a career....he's going to have a miserable life by the time he gets into his 40s with those shoulders being so damaged. He seems like a really good kid and hope someone advised him to move on and get his degree and go about his life...JMO.

They might want him for more as a scoring guard than a true point guard. I'm not saying he can't play I'm saying figuring he's going to be a great pg that leads a team next year is being very very optimistic. He could end up being a canty type of guard....he'll get points but he didn't set the team up.....either type of player we need because we don't have either. We don't have a guy who can create shots for others and we don't have a guy who can create his own shots either

Getting back to original post. I went out on a couple of sites there doesn't appear to be any great Juco PG's left that have not committed to another school. So it looks like we would have to find a GT if we want more outside help or develop somebody who is currently in the system. The last couple of games have shown that Dunans can play PG effectively so between him and Harper we should be ok at PG next year and that we need at least one really top notch PG in the 2017 class. Dunans as a big PG actually adds another element because of his ability to drive and score, drive pull up and score, rebounding skills and he has shown very good passing skills.

I think the Dunans experiment has given us some breathing room at PG so now big need is a big man to go along with Spencer who is showing signs of getting a little O and learning how to stick around a little longer. Spencer gets a little stronger and keeps improving he will be a solid big man next year.

Archived