Graduating transfers

TexasTiger

They might want him for more as a scoring guard than a true point guard. I'm not saying he can't play I'm saying figuring he's going to be a great pg that leads a team next year is being very very optimistic. He could end up being a canty type of guard....he'll get points but he didn't set the team up.....either type of player we need because we don't have either. We don't have a guy who can create shots for others and we don't have a guy who can create his own shots either

In fairness the creating for others may not have to come from the point. Heren is a physical wing that excels at getting to the goal. If he can do that at the college level it will create opportunities for others inherently.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting back to original post. I went out on a couple of sites there doesn't appear to be any great Juco PG's left that have not committed to another school. So it looks like we would have to find a GT if we want more outside help or develop somebody who is currently in the system. The last couple of games have shown that Dunans can play PG effectively so between him and Harper we should be ok at PG next year and that we need at least one really top notch PG in the 2017 class. Dunans as a big PG actually adds another element because of his ability to drive and score, drive pull up and score, rebounding skills and he has shown very good passing skills.

I think the Dunans experiment has given us some breathing room at PG so now big need is a big man to go along with Spencer who is showing signs of getting a little O and learning how to stick around a little longer. Spencer gets a little stronger and keeps improving he will be a solid big man next year.

I don't know this for fact but I distinctly get the impression Bruce does not want to have to use TD as a major factor at Point next year. I think Heron will get quite a look as a power point given he is possibly the best driver to the goal in high school now.

W/ Canty gone we have a spot open. I think it goes to a big. If Waddell leaves the team as people are saying because he will already have his undergrad that will open another spot & I think it will go to a point.

Getting back to original post. I went out on a couple of sites there doesn't appear to be any great Juco PG's left that have not committed to another school. So it looks like we would have to find a GT if we want more outside help or develop somebody who is currently in the system. The last couple of games have shown that Dunans can play PG effectively so between him and Harper we should be ok at PG next year and that we need at least one really top notch PG in the 2017 class. Dunans as a big PG actually adds another element because of his ability to drive and score, drive pull up and score, rebounding skills and he has shown very good passing skills.

I think the Dunans experiment has given us some breathing room at PG so now big need is a big man to go along with Spencer who is showing signs of getting a little O and learning how to stick around a little longer. Spencer gets a little stronger and keeps improving he will be a solid big man next year.

I don't know this for fact but I distinctly get the impression Bruce does not want to have to use TD as a major factor at Point next year. I think Heren will get quite a look as a power point given he is possibly the best driver to the goal in high school now.

W/ Canty gone we have a spot open. I think it goes to a big. If Waddell leaves the team as people are saying because he will already have his undergrad that will open another spot & I think it will go to a point.

TSD is a great kid and a pretty solid PG but with his shoulder issues I can't see how BP can take a chance on him. That last injury looked almost freakish....was not hit that hard if I recall and the shoulder just gave way. I'm hoping he (TSD) wont' risk it again...but no way that BP can put all his eggs in that basket. Gotta have two PGs ready to play next season.

They might want him for more as a scoring guard than a true point guard. I'm not saying he can't play I'm saying figuring he's going to be a great pg that leads a team next year is being very very optimistic. He could end up being a canty type of guard....he'll get points but he didn't set the team up.....either type of player we need because we don't have either. We don't have a guy who can create shots for others and we don't have a guy who can create his own shots either

In fairness the creating for others may not have to come from the point. Heren is a physical wing that excels at getting to the goal. If he can do that at the college level it will create opportunities for others inherently.

You have to be a gifted passer as well. But if it works where he doesn't have to more power to him but somebody have to defer and not just be looking to score. Basketball is not a game of things happening inherently, you have to make the right play. Canty is very hard to stay in front of but he didn't create for others. Mason was like that too

You have to be a gifted passer as well. But if it works where he doesn't have to more power to him but somebody have to defer and not just be looking to score. Basketball is not a game of things happening inherently, you have to make the right play. Canty is very hard to stay in front of but he didn't create for others. Mason was like that too

Fair points. I'm just thinking back to all CBP's handling Guards & UT. They wer all good shooters & drivers. I don't remember a gifted passer in the bunch. Also there's nothing that says Heron won't be a gifted passer.

I actually think you're thinking he plays a way he doesn't. He's a big strong guard like jae Crowder for Boston. Ball handling is probably something he needs to work on the most. Thinking he can handle point is sort of optimistic imo. And when he had Tyler Harris he played him like a point forward and he was a gifted passer.

Pearl definitely prefers tall guards that are versatile and that can handle the ball. He also likes a big man that can be a threat from the outside that can space the floor

I actually think you're thinking he plays a way he doesn't. He's a big strong guard like jae Crowder for Boston. Ball handling is probably something he needs to work on the most. Thinking he can handle point is sort of optimistic imo. And when he had Tyler Harris he played him like a point forward and he was a gifted passer.

Pearl definitely prefers tall guards that are versatile and that can handle the ball. He also likes a big man that can be a threat from the outside that can space the floor

Given an off season to work on it Dunans might become a serviceable PG...pretty good ball handler, has the size and quickness and likes to go to the hoop.....just needs to take better care of the ball. I don't see him as a shooting guard but often has a good touch going toward the basket.

IF the bigger guys were better scorers around the basket (what have we missed this year...a couple hundred lay-ups) Dunans could get them the ball on drive and give plays....and has done that pretty well but nobody can finish the play. He's pretty dangerous doing that because defenders probably see that he is not bad inside with the ball and can take a smaller defender to the hoop and he draws defensive help leaving team mates open for the short shots....which they miss with appalling regularity.

Meanwhile, I'm now on board with finding a grad trans PG....go to it guys....

We have at least 1 spot open right now. At least 2 seems highly likely though given the combo of TSD's injury sitch & Waddel maybe done w/ Basketball after graduating early, & very possibly 3. I would much rather use a scholly on a GT handling Guard who already makes good choices w/ the ball than rely on a major retooling of TD's decision making skills for him to play quite a bit @ Point.

Here are the national assist leaders. Surely there is a Jr or RS Soph playing wise at a smaller school who will have his undergrad by August & want to play in the SEC as well as increasing their chances of playing in the post season.

Here are the national assist leaders. Surely there is a Jr or RS Soph playing wise at a smaller school who will have his undergrad by August & want to play in the SEC as well as increasing their chances of playing in the post season.

Thanks...that's a good list....and as you say...there should be a couple guys in there who would like to step up a notch in competition.

Patrick McCaw 6'7 So. Guard from UNLV

13.7 PPG 5.0 RPG 4.1 APG 2.6 SPG

THE NUMBERS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. A 6'7 Guard who can defend is a definite need for anyone.

THE NUMBERS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. A 6'7 Guard who can defend is a definite need for anyone.

Graduating?

Graduating?

Soph..probably not....need to do a little research to find out which guys will graduate this year and also have possible interest in moving. There are not that many....but they are out there....just gotta find them and then work the system to let them know we are interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guess we know now.

Ronnie was the top GT Point target by the staff almost from the moment the transfer list came out.

• 2 weeks later...

Merrill Holden committed to Iowa State. Hopefully we are putting the full court press on Romello White if he is granted his release from Georgia Tech.

Archived