Top-5 Runningbacks in the SEC (1970's)

StatTiger

57 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

was brooks the kid who could not read after he left auburn? it was during that era.and reading or not does anyone know how he is doing these days? would love to have his autograph. and when he was on the field you could hardly take your eyes off him. just say fullwoods name as well. it might be him. i always got the two confused for some reason.

No that supposely was Brent Fulwood and he is doing well. Saw him at his camp 2 years

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-06-21/sports/os-brent-fullwood-youth-football-clinic-20140621_1_football-camp-youth-football-flag-football

On 2/12/2016 at 8:50 PM, doc4aday said:

Looks like Auburn had the best RBs during that era. It was a shame that we did not win more games and an SEC title or 2.

Pretty difficult to win an SEC title when you're on probation as AU was in '78-79.  My last quarter at AU before I graduated was Fall 1979.  Both Brooks & Cribbs rushed for over 1,000 yds that season.  Unlike today where RBs get 13 or more games to break 1,000, 1979 was for 11-games  total with no bowl game.  It was amazing watching those guys run.  At least once every game, one or both would break a long run of 50+ yds.  Another unfortunate consequence of probation back then was the TV ban so, unless you attended the game you didn't get to see those guys run.   

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

was brooks the kid who could not read after he left auburn? it was during that era.and reading or not does anyone know how he is doing these days? would love to have his autograph. and when he was on the field you could hardly take your eyes off him. just say fullwoods name as well. it might be him. i always got the two confused for some reason.

Supposedly James Brooks couldn't read....but not sure if it was a court room ploy...

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

Supposedly James Brooks couldn't read....but not sure if it was a court room ploy...

I seriously doubt that either RB could not read. They had to be able to read the play book. I think the "not being able to read" was reserved for bammer athletes.

well good grief. which is it? the day it came out he could not read was the only time i have ever been ashamed to be an auburn man. and sorry but that is how i felt. it just hurt me that some in the orange and blue could do that to get a kid to play. and no i am no frigging boy scout and i know stuff goes on but this one hurt me to the core. to know for real it was bull would be very nice to know.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:16 AM, AUsince72 said:

Just watched the Auburn Football Review from Sat's game and Joe Cribbs was one of the attendees (the 76 team, I think?)...  That man looks like he could STILL play! Wow!

I live in Texas and purchased a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo in Houston a few years ago.  The guy I bought it from gave me a huge stack of documentation and stated that the previous owner had told him that "some former NFL player" had owned the car.  He didn't know who, but thought it was whoever replaced O J Simpson at Buffalo.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out when I began sifting through all of the paper work that I had bought Joe Cribbs' car.  From all of the documentation, he bought it in new Montgomery and kept it until it had about 36,000 miles on it.  Lots of receipts for having it serviced at German Auto in Birmingham.  Car still looks great and only has about 100,000 miles on it.

22 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

I live in Texas and purchased a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo in Houston a few years ago.  The guy I bought it from gave me a huge stack of documentation and stated that the previous owner had told him that "some former NFL player" had owned the car.  He didn't know who, but thought it was whoever replaced O J Simpson at Buffalo.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out when I began sifting through all of the paper work that I had bought Joe Cribbs' car.  From all of the documentation, he bought it in new Montgomery and kept it until it had about 36,000 miles on it.  Lots of receipts for having it serviced at German Auto in Birmingham.  Car still looks great and only has about 100,000 miles on it.

Very cool...

Thank you for sharing that!

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:44 AM, japantiger said:

...we put sum amazing offensive talent on the field during that time...it was my time at Auburn...unfortunately, Doug Barfield was coach and it was wasted.

people will be saying the same thing about malzahn some day

Archived