LSU and Louisiana financial crisis

ShocksMyBrain

Well I hope we can use this as negative recruiting for common targets.

Also, I kind of hope it happens even though I know it won't. I wouldn't mind raiding their roster to fill some needs.

Actually if the legislature does not come around, the AD can threaten to boycott the season and stick the school with all those cancellation penalties.

^Yup. I seriously doubt this happens, especially with a much more moderate governor (regardless of your political leanings and what you think of him, you have to admit that Bel Edwards is a centrist). Who would the SEC take to replace them if it (hypothetically) did?

This has been threatened before. LSU makes waaaaaaaay more money than what it costs to operate. Scare tactic. They cant afford to cancel football.

This has been threatened before. LSU makes waaaaaaaay more money than what it costs to operate. Scare tactic. They cant afford to cancel football.

I often complain about the excessive spending in college athletics....but frankly, the excessive spending is no limited to athletics.

The cost of a college education even in a state supported school has outstripped the cost of living by a factor of 5 or more. rising at a rate of 6%+ per year over the rate of inflation ......year after year. Administrative costs have ballooned and there seems to be no ability or will to reign in the costs. And this is not a political issue.....same issues are a problem in red and blue states.

Threatening sports might be the only way to get people to listen to the problem.

I'm surprised this didn't make the political forum. :-\

It could actually straddle both.

This time last year LSUs president was threatening cutting faculty and courses so Bobby Jindal wouldn't cut education funding. Then at the end of the year LSU AD Alleva tries to fire Miles knowing they'd owe him +$14mm buyout. They let those rumors float for a few weeks. Then huge fan support before, during, and after the ATM game and Governor Jindal throwing his support behind Miles and then decide to retain him. Now we have the new Governor threatening to cancel classes on April 30th leaving students with no grades, resulting in ineligible student athletes. Excuse me while I roll my eyes.

^Yup. I seriously doubt this happens, especially with a much more moderate governor (regardless of your political leanings and what you think of him, you have to admit that Bel Edwards is a centrist). Who would the SEC take to replace them if it (hypothetically) did?

Yeah. He is a moderate. Kansas has huge issues as well with a republican controlled state. Not sure what LA is but I'm guessing it's GOP controlled. They'll Just cut the schools because that's what republicans always do.

The real losers in all of this will likely be the students (not surprisingly). The state legally cannot lay off professors during the semester, but also cannot afford to pay them with the current tax receipts. The most likely scenario at this point is that students will be charged additional mid-semester fees to cover the shortfall.

The real losers in all of this will likely be the students (not surprisingly). The state legally cannot lay off professors during the semester, but also cannot afford to pay them with the current tax receipts. The most likely scenario at this point is that students will be charged additional mid-semester fees to cover the shortfall.

Guess nobody thought of laying off a bunch of non-teaching administrators which has been the "growth industry" in advanced education for quite sometime. When there is a financial problem in education or government, the decision always seems to end up being...."make lay-offs where it hurts the customer the most". ....and thus get enough backlash that the money will be "found".

If private industry used that theory, it would lay off production workers and keep the clerks and administrators....who generally produce nothing of value.

It's all political hyperbole.....and like at Mizz....., doing something that upsets an athletic program just can't be allowed to continue.

Yeah. He is a moderate. Kansas has huge issues as well with a republican controlled state. Not sure what LA is but I'm guessing it's GOP controlled. They'll Just cut the schools because that's what republicans always do.

Yeah, Republicans hate education...and sports. You're either an "educator" or your teacher told you that.

Yeah, Republicans hate education...and sports. You're either an "educator" or your teacher told you that.

They like money more.

huh?

They like money more.

huh, again?

huh?

They like money more.

huh, again?

Just my observation but the politics of college athletics is nonpartisan in just about every state.

It's just that the politicians in the south (of either party) seem to better understand how to used athletics to their benefit than in most states where the general public is more difficult to manipulate.

huh?

They like money more.

huh, again?

Easy now...

Historically, the budget gets cut from education funds when they need money. It's not an opinion.

Archived