Starting lineup in 16-17

TexasTiger

Stephan Moody is 5'10" he seems to be a pretty good PG. As for Danjel playing PF I expect to see it but I also expect to see him at SF. Next years team will have a lot of moving pieces and will change depending on teams we play. Not all teams play a traditional Center and PF because there are not that many good big men. So when we play a team like that he might be a 4 but playing more like a 3. I think there will be times that we will have Reed and Spencer on the floor together Then it will be Purifoy SF, Herron SG, Dunans or Harper PG. In addition we will probably get about 10 minutes out of McLemore at PF. I expect Purifoy to play some PF I don't think it will be for more then 10-15 minutes per game. I also expect to see Lang a t PF some he doesn't fit either but teams have to put somebody at PF.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having a 4 out and 1 in philosophy can work - especially when our shooters are on - but we will just be struggling on defense and rebounding with teams that employ 2 bigs at a time (even if they are of the shorter variety). Clayton, 5'10 isn't ideal, you're right, but at this point we just need bodies at PG and given the current situation we certainly could've done worse IMO. Even if we had Canty our PG's would be 6 feet or smaller so I guess Pearl knew we would be kind of small at that spot for next year. But I'd love to see us get a PG with more size pretty soon

We have a big PG Dunans who is also a great SG/SF. That is why I keep saying you will see a lot of unique lineups next year. Unique lineups are both good and bad. Small guys at the big positions give us a defensive and rebounding liability but allow us to play fast pace and often get their bigs in foul trouble when a Big has to try and stop a Purifoy, Lang, Dunans, Herron it is a mis-match in our favor. Then it can be which team can force its style of play on the other. We have a small team on the court we press and try and make it an uptempo game. Assumingg Reed is able to play and has improved with the added muscle and training we can go big, small and medium next year.

Almost every year you see a smaller team press and shoot its way into the NCAA tourney. You also see traditional teams go far in the NCAA it is how well you play your style and who can force the other team to play their style the most.

Dunans at point should be about our 4th option.

1.) TSD is able to come back healthy

2.) Grad Transfer comes in and wins the job

3.) Jared Harper can be a stud right out of the gate

4.) TJ Dunans.

Although Dunans playing point will certainly help us in that scenario, because 1-3 are not all incredibly likely to happen. Harper will become an SEC player by the end of the year probably, but may need a while to get going. I don't think Pearl will want to use Dunans as a point because he will want him to be a scorer. I think Dunans can do it at a high level but we may need his talents elsewhere.

I see starting lineups for the first game to be:

PG-Dunans

SG-Brown

SF- Lang

PF-Purifoy

C-Spencer

Lang has turned a corner down the stretch this year and is playing with more aggression. I see him developing into a very good player next year.

4.) TJ Dunans.

Although Dunans playing point will certainly help us in that scenario, because 1-3 are not all incredibly likely to happen. Harper will become an SEC player by the end of the year probably, but may need a while to get going. I don't think Pearl will want to use Dunans as a point because he will want him to be a scorer. I think Dunans can do it at a high level but we may need his talents elsewhere.

I see starting lineups for the first game to be:

PG-Dunans

SG-Brown

SF- Lang

PF-Purifoy

C-Spencer

Lang has turned a corner down the stretch this year and is playing with more aggression. I see him developing into a very good player next year.

All of your points are valid. You swapped Lang and Purifoy from what I had but I will concede that Purifoy has a better body for PF then Lang. I do think the 5* Herron will be hard to keep out of the starting lineup and I believe he will beat Brown out at SG but at beginning of the year you might be correct.

I believe Harper will get a lot of minutes at PG and ideally will win the job cutting down the number of minutes Dunans will play PG. I don't disagree with anybody who says they would prefer Dunans as a wing player as he excels at that. I just think he has done well enough at PG that unless Shamsid-Deen comes back healthy or we get a GT PG he will have to play some PG.

Personally I think Pearl is looking to get a GT big man not a PG as he may or may not have the scholly available for two GT's because Shamsid-Deen's scholly is up in the air

Bama's great five star recruit that committed a day after Heron committed to Auburn just decommitted from Bama. He was pretty much their whole class.

Jared Harper's offer list was much smaller than I expected for a 4 star PG. His highlights mainly consist of him making open 3s from what I saw (which admittedly was only a few minutes worth). How realistic are we with him being an effective contributor next season? What is his main skill? His outside shot?

Heron, on the other hand, his offer list was much more impressive (as a 5 star's would be over a 4 star's). We have a lot of wing players though, If all goes to plan he will take a big chunk of the minutes that TJ Dunans will leave behind once his time at AU is done. I am very excited about this guys potential.

I really think last year and this year were just "get through it and lay the bricks for the foundation". I think next year we see a slight to moderate improvement from this year. Having Reed and Dunans in the full season's rotation will be a nice bump. Then the following year I think Pearl's vision REALLY starts to take shape. My main concern for next season is we have an excess of wings with Dunans, Lang, Brown, Heron, Purifoy, and New Williams but just 1 PG who will be a true freshman. We are going to have to see Pearl get creative with his lineups to get the best players on the floor.

Bama's great five star recruit that committed a day after Heron committed to Auburn just decommitted from Bama. He was pretty much their whole class.

Interesting was there a story behind it as for why?

Not really...some bammers were already uneasy once he didn't sign early. The guy was the number 15 prospect in the country. Bama had a better recruiting class than us before the decommittment but now they are at 45 nationally.

Not really...some bammers were already uneasy once he didn't sign early. The guy was the number 15 prospect in the country. Bama had a better recruiting class than us before the decommittment but now they are at 45 nationally.

My heart breaks for them

My heart breaks for them

I had some alligator tears myself.

If Spencer's offensive game continues to improve I wouldn't mind seeing...

PG Dunans/GT

SG Lang/Brown

SF Purifoy

PF Spencer

C Reed

The only problem with that is whether there is a backup that can give great minutes once Spencer starts getting into foul trouble.

If Spencer's offensive game continues to improve I wouldn't mind seeing...

PG Dunans/GT

SG Lang/Brown

SF Purifoy

PF Spencer

C Reed

The only problem with that is whether there is a backup that can give great minutes once Spencer starts getting into foul trouble.

I have a feeling that Pearl will being working with both Spencer and Reed to teach them how to get in good guarding position by moving their feet and not reaching out and getting stupid fouls. Spencer has slowly improved his game is starting to play more minutes and is starting to score. An off season weight program to get stronger so he doesn't get pushed around down low and not getting stupid fouls on the outside and he might be able to give us 30 minutes a game. Reed has already put on the muscle so we just have to see if he has really improved with that muscle.

Even if both show tremendous improvement and could play long minutes together I would still expect periodic changes to different lineups to keep other teams off balanced and to push Pearl's preferred uptempo game plan. I would be very happy if we could see them play together effectively for 10-15 minutes per game.

4.) TJ Dunans.

I would have TD the 5th choice. I would have Heren #3 as a physical driver & Harper #4.

I really appreciate the thoughts in this thread but some are trying to fit traditional # systems that does not jive w/ CBP's own personal system. CBP's Ideal system is

Combo Guard-scores & creates

Wing

Wing

Athletic Big

Athletic Big

As for projecting a starting 5 for next year, If we don't get a GT guard I'll go w/

Heron

Dunnans

Danjel

GT Big

Spencer

If we do get a GT Guard then my guess is

GT G

Dunnans

Danjel

GT Big

Spencer

I don't see a scenario right now where we don't get a GT Big that likely starts next year.

Just hoping that all that are signed and expected show up and are healthy, so we can have some depth for the first time way too many years.

Looks like I over hyped Heron. This Scouting Report sounds like Dunnans 2.0 w/ Better D & upside.

Strengths:

Heron is a strong and durable lefty wing with terrific endurance. He has a physical style on both ends of the floor and yet can still play all day without showing signs of fatigue. He's a high level defender, capable of locking up on the perimeter, and also a very good perimeter rebounder. Offensively, he handles the ball very well for a bigger perimeter player and projects as a valuable secondary ball-handler and potentially bigger second guard at the next level. He seeks out contact when attacking off the dribble and consequently gets himself to the free-throw line in high volume and can be a major threat when allowed to accelerate with the ball in the open court. He has a high release on his jump shot so that he doesn't need much space to get off his pull-up or three-ball.

Weaknesses:

Heron is at his best as a big and physical wing, but he gets too caught up in trying to be a primary ball-handler at times and can become turnover prone as a result. As a driver, he's often able to get into the paint and draw contact but needs to learn how to better leverage his body as a finisher and could definitely make use of some type of spin or other secondary move to better deal with rotating weak-side defenders. He's an improved shooter, but still relatively streaky. He'll make a fair share of open shots with room and rhythm but isn't going to make nearly as many on the move or with a hand in his face.

Bottom Line:

He's an exceptional talent in the 2016 class who impacts the game in an abundance of ways. He's an elite defender, perimeter rebounder and physical presence on the wing. He's a good, not great, scorer who can put points up from various spots on the floor but lacks one dominant weapon.

Looks like I over hyped Heren. This Scouting Report sounds like Dunnans 2.0 w/ Better D & upside.

Strengths:

Heron is a strong and durable lefty wing with terrific endurance. He has a physical style on both ends of the floor and yet can still play all day without showing signs of fatigue. He's a high level defender, capable of locking up on the perimeter, and also a very good perimeter rebounder. Offensively, he handles the ball very well for a bigger perimeter player and projects as a valuable secondary ball-handler and potentially bigger second guard at the next level. He seeks out contact when attacking off the dribble and consequently gets himself to the free-throw line in high volume and can be a major threat when allowed to accelerate with the ball in the open court. He has a high release on his jump shot so that he doesn't need much space to get off his pull-up or three-ball.

Weaknesses:

Heron is at his best as a big and physical wing, but he gets too caught up in trying to be a primary ball-handler at times and can become turnover prone as a result. As a driver, he's often able to get into the paint and draw contact but needs to learn how to better leverage his body as a finisher and could definitely make use of some type of spin or other secondary move to better deal with rotating weak-side defenders. He's an improved shooter, but still relatively streaky. He'll make a fair share of open shots with room and rhythm but isn't going to make nearly as many on the move or with a hand in his face.

Bottom Line:

He's an exceptional talent in the 2016 class who impacts the game in an abundance of ways. He's an elite defender, perimeter rebounder and physical presence on the wing. He's a good, not great, scorer who can put points up from various spots on the floor but lacks one dominant weapon.

If he learns to finish at the rim then he is James Harden 2.0

Looks like I over hyped Heren. This Scouting Report sounds like Dunnans 2.0 w/ Better D & upside.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

If he learns to finish at the rim then he is James Harden 2.0

???

Davion Mitchell, 4* PG who is coming in after next season is listed at only 6'0. Pearl is recruiting some small PGs to come to Auburn so as far as worrying about size at the PG position it looks like Pearl prefers the smaller players.

Davion Mitchell, 4* PG who is coming in after next season is listed at only 6'0. Pearl is recruiting some small PGs to come to Auburn so as far as worrying about size at the PG position it looks like Pearl prefers the smaller players.

He is 6'1 on the composite & Watch Davion jump & tell me if you worry about his size. I don't. He's got a physical body for his size too.

He is 6'1 on the composite & Watch Davion jump & tell me if you worry about his size. I don't. He's got a physical body for his size too.

ESPN had him listed at 6'0 thats where I got my info from. I'll take any additional height for my PG, though! Leaping ability is nice but it won't help him see passing lanes or make it easier to get his shot off. It is easy to shut down a PG that small. See what happened to Canty once we got into the meat of our schedule and better teams had a taller guy to stick on him. New Williams for example, his insane vertical leap hasn't helped him do anything on the court in games basically. But at this point I'm happy with any skilled PGs we get into the program. The overall talent level that BP is bringing in is killing what we are used to, I'm just speaking from an idealistic standpoint to have PGs that are 6'2+. Is Mitchell a score-first PG or more of a distributor?

ESPN had him listed at 6'0 thats where I got my info from. I'll take any additional height for my PG, though! Leaping ability is nice but it won't help him see passing lanes or make it easier to get his shot off. It is easy to shut down a PG that small. See what happened to Canty once we got into the meat of our schedule and better teams had a taller guy to stick on him. New Williams for example, his insane vertical leap hasn't helped him do anything on the court in games basically. But at this point I'm happy with any skilled PGs we get into the program. The overall talent level that BP is bringing in is killing what we are used to, I'm just speaking from an idealistic standpoint to have PGs that are 6'2+. Is Mitchell a score-first PG or more of a distributor?

Canty is a very poor example of your thesis. He was never a passing guard. He was a scorer who did not pass much unless he had to. New does not have the ball handling or decision making skills right now to be a point. As for the small guards are easy to guard statement, Here are the national assist leaders. 29 of the top 50 are 6'1 & shorter. It's ill advized to assume a player is easy to guard just because they are not tall. Yes in an ideal world you would like to have a taller guard, but not at the expense of skill level.

Here's Mitchell's scouting report.

Strengths:

Mitchell is a strong and quick point guard that is a tremendous athlete. He pushes the ball with his tight handle and dribble through on ball contact in order to make plays off the bounce. Mitchell is an acrobatic and crafty finisher. He can run offense as needed and is a terrific drive draw and kick passer. He can make open shots to the arc with needed time and space. He seems to get into the lane at will. Mitchell is also a good on ball defender.

Weaknesses:

Mitchell will need to continue to hone his point guard skills and continue to develop his mid range game and three point shooting in order to set up his dribble penetration.

Bottom Line:

Mitchell is an attacking playmaking point guard that is an excellent athlete. His speed, quickness, ability to score and find open teammates make him a high major prospect.

Mitchell is going to be a stud. He is already one of the best point guards out of the 2017 class. I don't give a crap about the height of the PG.

Archived