Starting lineup in 16-17

TexasTiger

ESPN had him listed at 6'0 thats where I got my info from. I'll take any additional height for my PG, though! Leaping ability is nice but it won't help him see passing lanes or make it easier to get his shot off. It is easy to shut down a PG that small. See what happened to Canty once we got into the meat of our schedule and better teams had a taller guy to stick on him. New Williams for example, his insane vertical leap hasn't helped him do anything on the court in games basically. But at this point I'm happy with any skilled PGs we get into the program. The overall talent level that BP is bringing in is killing what we are used to, I'm just speaking from an idealistic standpoint to have PGs that are 6'2+. Is Mitchell a score-first PG or more of a distributor?

Canty is a very poor example of your thesis. He was never a passing guard. He was a scorer who did not pass much unless he had to. New does not have the ball handling or decision making skills right now to be a point. As for the small guards are easy to guard statement, Here are the national assist leaders. 29 of the top 50 are 6'1 & shorter. It's ill advized to assume a player is easy to guard just because they are not tall. Yes in an ideal world you would like to have a taller guard, but not at the expense of skill level.

Here's Mitchell's scouting report.

Strengths:

Mitchell is a strong and quick point guard that is a tremendous athlete. He pushes the ball with his tight handle and dribble through on ball contact in order to make plays off the bounce. Mitchell is an acrobatic and crafty finisher. He can run offense as needed and is a terrific drive draw and kick passer. He can make open shots to the arc with needed time and space. He seems to get into the lane at will. Mitchell is also a good on ball defender.

Weaknesses:

Mitchell will need to continue to hone his point guard skills and continue to develop his mid range game and three point shooting in order to set up his dribble penetration.

Bottom Line:

Mitchell is an attacking playmaking point guard that is an excellent athlete. His speed, quickness, ability to score and find open teammates make him a high major prospect.

True, Canty was not a true PG and perhaps I am putting too much stock into height because of Canty's style of play and how it hindered our team mainly because our opponents just stuck a taller guy on him and didn't have to really worry about him that much after that. A true floor general can be less than ideal height and still be very effective. I am happy to hear about Mitchell's drive and kick potential. I'm just personally not a big fan of score first PGs as much as "set up everybody else" PGs. But I am also realistic and realize we aren't anywhere close to being in a position to be too picky. Because we need roster help and, as I said before, any and everything Pearl is putting together is worlds ahead of the past 3 AU bball coaching regimes. I've never seen this many highly ranked basketball recruits commit to AU.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pearl actually preferred bigger guards at Tenn. Most coaches do but having a tall guy who is a great ball handler isn't the easiest thing to find....But size really is for defense not being effective on offense. Also finding smaller guards that have long seems can really make up for things. One thing many people overlook is a players wingspan but I promise you scouts do not. That is a HUGE reason why Iverson was hard to guard and was such a good defender. Maybe some of our guys have some long arms. Russell Westbrook comes to mind.

I'm just personally not a big fan of score first PGs as much as "set up everybody else" PGs.

You like a traditional point & that's fine. Just be aware that is not usually Bruce's style. He likes the best decision maker whether that be passing, creating for himself & others, or finding quality shots for himself to handle the ball. I don't think the Bruce cares if that's a guard or forward, preferably based on UT stats he would like it to be a collection of 2 or 3 players. In 3 of his 6 years @ UT the best ball handler & facilitator was actually a forward, Tyler Smith.

I'm just personally not a big fan of score first PGs as much as "set up everybody else" PGs.

You like a traditional point & that's fine. Just be aware that is not usually Bruce's style. He likes the best decision maker whether that be passing, creating for himself & others, or finding quality shots for himself to handle the ball. I don't think the Bruce cares if that's a guard or forward, preferably based on UT stats he would like it to be a collection of 2 or 3 players. In 3 of his 6 years @ UT the best ball handler & facilitator was actually a forward, Tyler Smith.

A pretty smart guy said this same thing a couple of days ago....

Sorry I missed it. I have taken note though you know your stuff when it comes to basketball. Being in North Alabama you have historically gotten to see the best the state has to offer.

ESPN had him listed at 6'0 thats where I got my info from. I'll take any additional height for my PG, though! Leaping ability is nice but it won't help him see passing lanes or make it easier to get his shot off. It is easy to shut down a PG that small. See what happened to Canty once we got into the meat of our schedule and better teams had a taller guy to stick on him. New Williams for example, his insane vertical leap hasn't helped him do anything on the court in games basically. But at this point I'm happy with any skilled PGs we get into the program. The overall talent level that BP is bringing in is killing what we are used to, I'm just speaking from an idealistic standpoint to have PGs that are 6'2+. Is Mitchell a score-first PG or more of a distributor?

Canty is a very poor example of your thesis. He was never a passing guard. He was a scorer who did not pass much unless he had to. New does not have the ball handling or decision making skills right now to be a point. As for the small guards are easy to guard statement, Here are the national assist leaders. 29 of the top 50 are 6'1 & shorter. It's ill advized to assume a player is easy to guard just because they are not tall. Yes in an ideal world you would like to have a taller guard, but not at the expense of skill level.

Here's Mitchell's scouting report.

Strengths:

Mitchell is a strong and quick point guard that is a tremendous athlete. He pushes the ball with his tight handle and dribble through on ball contact in order to make plays off the bounce. Mitchell is an acrobatic and crafty finisher. He can run offense as needed and is a terrific drive draw and kick passer. He can make open shots to the arc with needed time and space. He seems to get into the lane at will. Mitchell is also a good on ball defender.

Weaknesses:

Mitchell will need to continue to hone his point guard skills and continue to develop his mid range game and three point shooting in order to set up his dribble penetration.

Bottom Line:

Mitchell is an attacking playmaking point guard that is an excellent athlete. His speed, quickness, ability to score and find open teammates make him a high major prospect.

True, Canty was not a true PG and perhaps I am putting too much stock into height because of Canty's style of play and how it hindered our team mainly because our opponents just stuck a taller guy on him and didn't have to really worry about him that much after that. A true floor general can be less than ideal height and still be very effective. I am happy to hear about Mitchell's drive and kick potential. I'm just personally not a big fan of score first PGs as much as "set up everybody else" PGs. But I am also realistic and realize we aren't anywhere close to being in a position to be too picky. Because we need roster help and, as I said before, any and everything Pearl is putting together is worlds ahead of the past 3 AU bball coaching regimes. I've never seen this many highly ranked basketball recruits commit to AU.

Oh and it's all about pieces around. Everybody helping everybody. We have a couple of consistent outside shooters. That will spread the floor some. But we need a guy who can set them up and we need a guy who can take advantage of the spacing and attacking the goal. This is why I said it doesn't matter who we get at point we need both. A big guy who can actually score with his back to the goal would be huge. If he can pick and pop and we had the other things as I mentioned as well then we're easily a NCAA tournament team. If pearl could get a big time big time player to commit like Lorenzo ball (not going to happen but a game changer) we could get over the hump. He just need players that can execute his offense. Defense is just effort

Sorry I missed it. I have taken note though you know your stuff when it comes to basketball. Being in North Alabama you have historically gotten to see the best the state has to offer.

Mark Sears. Young man plays for muscle shoals only a freshman but I really thought he was in 8th grade, next big national prospect, guarantee it. Also two Thompson boys from Florence. And the Sears kid is from the same Sears family Kevin played for us Aaron played for Tennessee and in the NFL

Mark Sears. Young man plays for muscle shoals only a freshman but I really thought he was in 8th grade, next big national prospect, guarantee it. Also two Thompson boys from Florence. And the Sears kid is from the same Sears family Kevin played for us Aaron played for Tennessee and in the NFL

Don't forget cousin Colin Sears who played for Auburn as well. Will have to keep an eye on Mark

Don't forget cousin Colin Sears who played for Auburn as well. Will have to keep an eye on Mark

His dad is Chad. Played for North Alabama. And you're exactly right, don't know how I forgot to name Colin. He's the real deal man he's only in 8th grade....He was the guy who brought the ball up court when muscle shoals hit the shot to beat carver in state....I can't even imagine that in all the basketball I've played....8th grade playing varsity handling the ball in clutch to win state???? Wow. Also if you ever check the sports in the area still Sheffield will be very good next year too

His dad is Chad. Played for North Alabama. And you're exactly right, don't know how I forgot to name Colin. He's the real deal man he's only in 8th grade....He was the guy who brought the ball up court when muscle shoals hit the shot to beat carver in state....I can't even imagine that in all the basketball I've played....8th grade playing varsity handling the ball in clutch to win state???? Wow. Also if you ever check the sports in the area still Sheffield will be very good next year too

Wow Sheffield never would have thought that. I'm haven't been to the Shoals area in many many years and I can safely say Sheffield was never a player in BB or football back in the day. One last question cause I don't want to hijack thread what classification is Sheffield?

I think they are 4A but don't quote me on this. And they weren't ever a player I basketball when I played either but this year their starting 5 were 4 juniors and a sophomore and the shortest guy is 6'2"and can jump out of the gym. Also they have a 6'6" guy who can handle the ball and shoot threes and he come off the bench and I promise you I'm not exaggerating. A friend of mine who is older that played for UNA when they won the d2 championship said if they had a real coach they'd go undefeated and beat every team by double digits.

But yes sorry for the hijack and I'd guess Sheffield is either 4A or maybe 3A.

Basketball was my life organized, street I've learned and experienced alot. Learned a good bit from coach ciampi at Auburn as well

Just how bad was the mess when CBP couldn't turn it around in two years? I knew last year was probably going to be poor but I really thought the turnaround would begin this year. Looking forward to brighter days in the near future.

Just how bad was the mess when CBP couldn't turn it around in two years? I knew last year was probably going to be poor but I really thought the turnaround would begin this year. Looking forward to brighter days in the near future.

You probably don't realize how much health was a factor this year do you?

You probably don't realize how much health was a factor this year do you?

You are right without the health issues and the Purifoy qualification issue. Auburn would have been much better this year. I think we would have made NIT for sure and had a chance at NCAA. Alas it was a coulda shoulda woulda type year.

When do grad transfers usually announce their intentions in basketball? Soon after their seasons end or is it usually later in the summer. Seems like Harris was pretty early last year but I can't remember.

When do grad transfers usually announce their intentions in basketball? Soon after their seasons end or is it usually later in the summer. Seems like Harris was pretty early last year but I can't remember.

Most don't just announce it out in the open like Tyler & Antione did. Most already have a school in mind & visit then transfer pretty quietly. But yes, most if not all activity happens after teams' seasons are over.

Most don't just announce it out in the open like Tyler & Antione did. Most already have a school in mind & visit then transfer pretty quietly. But yes, most if not all activity happens after teams' seasons are over.

Thanks

If Spencer's offensive game continues to improve I wouldn't mind seeing...

PG Dunans/GT

SG Lang/Brown

SF Purifoy

PF Spencer

C Reed

The only problem with that is whether there is a backup that can give great minutes once Spencer starts getting into foul trouble.

Which actually I do think there is. I expect Heron to at LEAST be an SEC backup out of the gate. Shoot whoever said it was a bad idea to have 2 guys 6'10 or over on the floor at one time? Heron can move to SF, Purifoy to PF in a pinch and I bet we don't lose much

PG Dunans/GT

SG Lang/Brown

SF Purifoy

PF Spencer

C Reed

The only problem with that is whether there is a backup that can give great minutes once Spencer starts getting into foul trouble.

Which actually I do think there is. I expect Heron to at LEAST be an SEC backup out of the gate. Shoot whoever said it was a bad idea to have 2 guys 6'10 or over on the floor at one time? Heron can move to SF, Purifoy to PF in a pinch and I bet we don't lose much

That would be a very small line up. While Danjel would give other team's 4s fits guarding him he could easily have problems guarding other team's 4s. More likely is Mclemore will provide depth w/ the bigs & we bring in a GT big.

I'm asking for a rain check until all the guys that are transferring out are gone(there are always some), all signees have qualified academically and any new grad transfers and JUCO band aid types have been rounded up.

It's near impossible to name a starting lineup when you don't know what names are going to be on the roster.

PG Dunans/GT

SG Lang/Brown

SF Purifoy

PF Spencer

C Reed

That would be a very small line up. While Danjel would give other team's 4s fits guarding him he could easily have problems guarding other team's 4s. More likely is Mclemore will provide depth w/ the bigs & we bring in a GT big.

This would actually be a big lineup

Center Reed 7' 250 Pounds

Power Forward Spencer 6'9" 220 pounds will be heavier by next season

Small Forward Danjel Purifoy 6'6" has grown to 230 Pounds

Shooting Guard Lang 6'7' 200 Pounds

Point Guard TJ Dunans 6' 5" 180 pounds

That said even if we have all these guys available I wouldn't expect them all on the floor at same time for long stretches. It does show me that we could put enough size on the floor to match up with other teams big men if we have to.

PG Dunans/GT

SG Lang/Brown

SF Purifoy

PF Spencer

C Reed

This would actually be a big lineup

The highlighted part of the post is what I was replying to & it would be a small line up w/ Purifuy @ the 4 spot.

• 1 month later...

Here's a link golf. Check him out and he's in the 2020 class and he already have a better handle and seems to have a better understanding of pace than the guys on our college team

With the family connections I say we should offer him right now

Here's a link golf. Check him out and he's in the 2020 class and he already have a better handle and seems to have a better understanding of pace than the guys on our college team

With the family connections I say we should offer him right now

That's some good looking kids playing there. mark does look very smooth and he's a lefty?

Archived