Starting lineup in 16-17

TexasTiger

He used both so well I was thinking the same but I'm not sure. This dude was playing varsity and he isn't in high school yet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just to add my very limited two cents ... 6'7" frosh in birmingam - Trendon Watford. I think I mentioned him in another thread a while back. I would assume he plays college as a SF. He has a nice outside shot and can play around the rim in high school. Has some solid ball handling at his size (In my limited knowledge). Hasnt quite figured out how to use his size yet. his team did a ton of situational subbing and he didnt have to defend as much as his teammates, so that skill set remains to be seen.

just to add my very limited two cents ... 6'7" frosh in birmingam - Trendon Watford. I think I mentioned him in another thread a while back. I would assume he plays college as a SF. He has a nice outside shot and can play around the rim in high school. Has some solid ball handling at his size (In my limited knowledge). Hasnt quite figured out how to use his size yet. his team did a ton of situational subbing and he didnt have to defend as much as his teammates, so that skill set remains to be seen.

Expected to be 1 of the top recruits in the nation in 2019....And will be at A Day tomorrow.

Hey golf look.

http://mobile.twitter.com/locksWAY_OTR/status/721699372447199233?s=04

I know talent when I see it! Seriously we should offer him him right now. Oh and since this thread wasn't and haven't been active I just put it here. I don't want anybody to be upset with me.

I think he he's just now about to start 9th. I'll text his dad and ask

Edit: He's just in 8th grade....do you know how good this kid is going to end up smh. Wow

8th? damn I thought he was 9th grader. Crap the kid should be offered now with the way he plays. 5'9" 8th grader handling the ball the way he does goodness.

I thought we had oferred?

I can't find anywhere we have offered. Don't have any inside stuff with bb as much as football.

There is definitely some talent around

I guess probably always have had "some" top notch talent I state ... We just rarely got many to come to auburn.

Hope that is in the process of changing

Imagine fielding this lineup against big names like Kentucky, Vandy, Texas A&M

C- 7'2

PF- 6'10

SF- 6'8

SG- 6'7

PG- 6'5

Got a good look?

That's

C- Reed

PF- Spencer

SF- Purifoy

SG-Lang

PG- Dunans

1.) That's a big enough lineup to win

2.) I don't know if Lang is going to be a starter next year, even though he's very experienced now, but even throwing him out of the mix and putting Brown or Heron in at SG doesn't lose us much of a loss because of those guys' ability to score. We'll be big enough to win, I just hope our mindset is right next year. I think the tools will be in place to make a run.

IMO that is a big enough lineup to win....IF we actually had a 6'5 PG. Dunans is NOT a PG and we are in trouble if we are using him for more than a few minutes-band aid every now and then. JMO. He looked ok for us at the end of last year playing PG because he was an upgrade to what we had seen the prior few games with Cim running the 1. We have to hope that Harper is way better than anticipated because he's going to get heavy minutes.

8th? damn I thought he was 9th grader. Crap the kid should be offered now with the way he plays. 5'9" 8th grader handling the ball the way he does goodness.

I can't find anywhere we have offered. Don't have any inside stuff with bb as much as football.

That's what I was thinking. With the family ties Auburn should be all over him right now

That's what I was thinking. With the family ties Auburn should be all over him right now

What family ties are we talking about? His name doesnt ring a bell if his parents were in athletics at AU...

What family ties are we talking about? His name doesnt ring a bell if his parents were in athletics at AU...

Kevin and Colin Sears played football at AU.

I know we are recruiting him pretty hard. He visied recently.

I know we are recruiting him pretty hard. He visied recently.

Thanks e good to know.

Imagine fielding this lineup against big names like Kentucky, Vandy, Texas A&M

C- 7'2

PF- 6'10

SF- 6'8

SG- 6'7

PG- 6'5

Got a good look?

That's

C- Reed

PF- Spencer

SF- Purifoy

SG-Lang

PG- Dunans

1.) That's a big enough lineup to win

2.) I don't know if Lang is going to be a starter next year, even though he's very experienced now, but even throwing him out of the mix and putting Brown or Heron in at SG doesn't lose us much of a loss because of those guys' ability to score. We'll be big enough to win, I just hope our mindset is right next year. I think the tools will be in place to make a run.

I had thought about this as well, but I'm afraid we won't be able to have Reed and Spencer on the floor at the same time because neither seems to be a major offensive threat. Maybe Spencer will improve his offensive game and surprise us.

I'm expecting a smaller starting lineup and Reed coming off the bench - but he has to stay eligible and out of trouble for a while before the season starts...

Reed and Spencer's skillsets are very similar so they will not be sharing the court together very often, in my estimation.

Reed and Spencer's skillsets are very similar so they will not be sharing the court together very often, in my estimation.

If Spencer continues to develop his scoring he can play a big 4 while Reed plays the 5. Traditionally Big 4's & 5's were expected to have similar skill sets. Rebound & defend. If you can score then great.

We will not run an offensive system with two guards, two forwards and a center. We will play three guards and two forwards the vast majority of the time. Plenty of schools play smaller lineups, including Pearls teams at UT.

Typical lineup for Villanova (based on minutes played during the season) was :

6'3'' G

6'5'' G

6'6'' F

6'3'' G

6'11'' F

with top reserves being

6'3'' G

6'7'' G

6'8'' F

Now who thinks you need a bunch of size to win? Point being the SEC is not a powerhouse league. We can be competitive with a three guard lineup. I would look at a starting lineup to look something like this:

Johnson 6'1'' PG

Brown or Heron 6'4'' SG

Dunnans 6'5''

Purifoy 6'7''

Spencer 6'9''

Lang 6'7'' and Brown/Heron 6'4'' would be the first two off the bench at smaller spots

McLemore 6'8'' and Reed 7'2" woud be the first two off the bench at post

Harper will work his way into the rotation at some point. New Williams and TSD may find playing time hard to come by. We could move DP or TJ to the 2 spot and go big with Reed or McLemore or even go smaller and play four guards at times.

Either way the talent on the roster looks better again this year. Whether we can get/keep them on the floor all season is another question.

Also, we may still be in the market for another transfer small forward post player.

It's not just size it's your skill set. If a guard has a nose for rebounding and plays big and defend you can do that. The best perimeter defender we had was Taj....Then when you have 4 guards they all need to be able to attack the goal and be a threat to score some way. And at least two probably three needs to be interchangeable handling the ball

While Villanova wasn't a huge team their big man was strong on the boards and could score inside and outside and played great post D. You need the right big man to allow you to play small ball. Big must be able to defend the paint, must be able to score down low, and be able to pass to open shooters. If the Big man can also hit the three to pull other teams big man out it opens the lane to your slashers.

Based on last year Spencer can defend the paint, has limited offense skills and can rebound but because of foul trouble plays limited minutes. Based on 2 years ago Reed wasn't as good as Spencer in defending the paint and other skills were similar to Spencer. Reed has bulked up and we heard good things from Pearl we also saw improvement from Spencer towards end of year. Hopefully both are a lot better this year. If not small ball will be ok for short duration but we can't rely on it like Villanova did.

Archived