2017 3* OLB Chandler Wooten (AU 5/13/16)

RunInRed

Auburn leads ...

Updated (5/13/16): Chandler commits to AU!

North Cobb's Chandler Wooten (LB) announces verbal commitment to Auburn during halftime of team's spring game; LB Coach Travis Williams was there

CiXei8uWkAEkCqB.jpg

@wareagleextra

Wooten has been silently committed to the Tigers for weeks. Florida and Tennessee were his other finalists.

"I really just vibe with the whole entire staff at Auburn, even offensive coaches," Wooten told AL.com last week. "I love the way I fit in at Auburn and how they run things. I can definitely see myself going there."

http://www.al.com/au...nt_from_li.html

"Auburn's at the top right now," Wooten told AL.com Saturday night. "How I interact with the coaches, I feel like I would fit in. They have a very high need for linebackers right now, so that's definitely where I could see myself playing."

http://www.al.com/au...beat_for_g.html

4_3602656.jpg

Chandler Wooten, OLB

Kennesaw, GA (North Cobb)

Ht: 6'3 | Wt: 226

• Unofficial Visit to Auburn, 2/20/16
"The visit was great today, being on campus and meeting with the coaches," Wooten said. "I sat down and talked with Coach (Travis) Williams and got a chance to talk with Coach (Gus) Malzahn and Coach (Tim) Horton. It was great to talk to all the coaches and I really enjoyed my visit today, seeing all the facilities and being on campus with my family."

"(Tyler Queen) is able to give me some insight on the program and how everything works," Wooten said. "I definitely have the inside scoop on how Auburn operates once you get there, so he's a big help for me.

"He's not making me rush a decision, but of course he would like me to go to Auburn. He's a big help in letting me know how the workout are and how the coaches are, because when you're getting recruited the coaches are a little different than once you actually get there... He's just letting me know what the routine is and what to expect."

http://www.al.com/au...beat_for_g.html

• Named Auburn leader, 2/20/16
  • Recruiters: Horton (P), T-Will (S)

247Sports: 3*

ESPN: 4*

Rivals: 3*

Scout: 3*

Offers: Auburn, Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Florida, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Mississippi State, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest and Wisconsin, among others.

Hudl Highlights

19790613-mmmain.jpg

CiXeZt4UkAAAxxV.jpg

via @Keith247Sports

Edited by ellitor

• 4 weeks later...

AU still leads but Vols are pushing

For weeks, Auburn has been the presumed favorite to sign Chandler Wooten. But his recent visit to Tennessee may have loosened the Tigers’ grip.

“That’s fair to say,” Wooten said when asked if his visit to Knoxville has impacted his recruitment. “The Tennessee coaches and I, we talk every day. A lot of those coaches have come in on my recruitment aside from (receivers coach Zach) Azzanni. I talk to (defensive coordinator Bob Shoop) every day, (linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen) every day. I talked to (Coach Butch Jones) last night.”

Wooten, a three-star outside linebacker, recently attended Tennessee’s Junior Day event on March 5, just weeks after he unofficially visited Auburn. The Tigers still maintain a slight lead, but the Volunteers appear to be closing the gap.

“I’m still leaning towards Auburn a little bit, but I’m also getting pulled in a couple of other directions at the same time,” said Wooten, who participated in the Nike regional camp at Buford High School over the weekend.

Florida and South Carolina are also contenders for the Kennesaw, Ga., native. Wooten is particularly interested in the Gamecocks, who, according to Wooten, rank him as their No. 1 linebacker, further clouding his looming decision.

“While you might think one thing one day, you feel a whole different way another,” Wooten said of the recruiting process. “As soon as I’ve made a complete decision, I’ll finally end my recruitment.”

What does Auburn have to do to maintain its advantage? Wooten points to being comfortable both academically and athletically. He’s taking into consideration the Tigers’ lack of depth at the linebacker position. Auburn lost three key starters to graduation and failed to sign more than one prospect in the 2016 cycle.

Tennessee, however, is returning a bevy of key contributors, one of a few differences Wooten highlighted between the two programs.

“Tennessee is on the rise,” Wooten said. “You can tell they’re a special program. Auburn, I wouldn’t say they’re in a rebuilding stage, but they have a little bit of work to do. If I go to Auburn, I definitely want to be a part of the solution.”

• 4 weeks later...

CB to AU today !

From Kipp Adams who is pretty good in that part of Georgia where CW is from. I'm surprised Ryan Callahan from UT 247 has not made a pick yet.

He is actually one of my favorite linebackers even though he's not ranked as high

Good eye. I think he's a steal.

• 3 weeks later...

CW silently committed to a school 2 weeks ago. Will go public next Friday. AU reporters still give AU the edge over Tennessee. I'm not sure on that. Free video interview. Link

Edited by ellitor

For some reason I feel like it is UT for him. Hope I am wrong.

Just read another interview that makes me think UT. His HS coaches feel it's AU though FWIW.

Just read another interview that makes me think UT. His HS coaches feel it's AU though FWIW.

He is getting several CBs to UT.

He is getting several CBs to UT.

Only ones worth watching are Keith & Ryan Callahan.

I think it's Virginia Wesleyan. Norfolk, Virginia is quite the draw.

No. If you know anything about this site you know it's the Lobos. They lead for everyone.

I think it's Virginia Wesleyan. Norfolk, Virginia is quite the draw.

No. If you know anything about this site you know it's the Lobos. They lead for everyone.

I know. I'm ripping off Golf's lingo. No original ideas, just fun spin-offs.

I feel it's AU, I think he likes UT but he has always said AU was his Fav.

He went back to UT being his fav after each of his 2 visits there.

Actually pretty sure he never said UT was his Fav... Only team I ever heard him say leads is AU but he has been trending UT I know but I still never heard him say they were above AU.

Actually pretty sure he never said UT was his Fav... Only team I ever heard him say leads is AU but he has been trending UT I know but I still never heard him say they were above AU.

He definitely said it after his 2nd visit there. Then he visited AU again & said they were neck & neck.

If Wooten silently committed, you'd think that the commitment would be picked up by the school's beat writers. So exactly what are the Tennessee beat writers are saying?

If Wooten silently committed, you'd think that the commitment would be picked up by the school's beat writers. So exactly what are the Tennessee beat writers are saying?

Same thing ours are. Feel they have a slight edge as ours feel AU has a slight edge. Apparently 0 word has gotten out as to who he committed to.

Interesting update. Ryan Callahan, a UT insider, just CB'd Wooten to Auburn. At this point, I would be shocked if he commits to UT.