Gus Takes Recruit For Ride in His New BMW

Proud Tiger

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not criticizing Gus for getting this car. He might be a car guy. I know he makes a significant amount of money, so its most likely affordable for him. Its also a pretty sweet ride.

I also know that coaches are doing things like this for recruiting. Again, maybe he's a car guy. If he did buy it to help in recruiting, my first thought is: that's troublesome to me. Not just the car, but the way that recruiting today is in general. Its troublesome to me because it mirrors an overindulgent, materialistic, narcissistic society. I know that in order to keep up in recruiting, our facilities have to be top notch; we have to hire design firms to come and deck out every inch of the athletic facilities because that's what kids like. They like feeling like they are living the high-life. They like the thought of being able to live in a 12,000 sq. ft. house and drive a $140,000 vehicle. I get it. This isn't just something that Auburn does, this is something that big time programs are having to do to remain competitive. This is also the culture that we live in.

The whole illusion of amateurism in college athletics has long since dissolved for me. Its just things like this that bring the problem back into focus. Don't get me wrong, I know that our coaches are also telling parents the right things - that they are going to help grow and mature their sons, and I don't doubt that there is a commitment to the kinds of values that will best benefit these young men in the long run. However, where is this all heading? $140,000 BMWs as recruiting tools? What's next? Seriously.

Anyway. I hope this doesn't come off as a holier-than-thou sort of thing. Its not, I promise. I live in the same culture that everyone else does, and I get caught up in the rat race too. I wish I had a $140,000 car to whip around and impress people. Anyway, I'm off my soapbox now.

I have some leanings like you, Barnacle. Every year College Football resembles the NFL semipro more and more.

BTW....this would be my choice

2017-Ford-GT-Yellow-09.jpg

I have some leanings like you, Barnacle. Every year College Football resembles the NFL semipro more and more.

That really should have been the expected end result when salaries for head coaches and some coordinators at nearly all Power Five conference schools crossed the $1,000,000 mark.

I'm not criticizing Gus for getting this car. He might be a car guy. I know he makes a significant amount of money, so its most likely affordable for him. Its also a pretty sweet ride.

I also know that coaches are doing things like this for recruiting. Again, maybe he's a car guy. If he did buy it to help in recruiting, my first thought is: that's troublesome to me. Not just the car, but the way that recruiting today is in general. Its troublesome to me because it mirrors an overindulgent, materialistic, narcissistic society. I know that in order to keep up in recruiting, our facilities have to be top notch; we have to hire design firms to come and deck out every inch of the athletic facilities because that's what kids like. They like feeling like they are living the high-life. They like the thought of being able to live in a 12,000 sq. ft. house and drive a $140,000 vehicle. I get it. This isn't just something that Auburn does, this is something that big time programs are having to do to remain competitive. This is also the culture that we live in.

The whole illusion of amateurism in college athletics has long since dissolved for me. Its just things like this that bring the problem back into focus. Don't get me wrong, I know that our coaches are also telling parents the right things - that they are going to help grow and mature their sons, and I don't doubt that there is a commitment to the kinds of values that will best benefit these young men in the long run. However, where is this all heading? $140,000 BMWs as recruiting tools? What's next? Seriously.

Anyway. I hope this doesn't come off as a holier-than-thou sort of thing. Its not, I promise. I live in the same culture that everyone else does, and I get caught up in the rat race too. I wish I had a $140,000 car to whip around and impress people. Anyway, I'm off my soapbox now.

Something to keep in mind is that the $140,000 price tag isn't what most of the kids who get to ride in the car are seeing. What they are seeing is that they are getting to ride in a car that is not only cool but unique, and that creates a positive memory. That's part of what recruiting is... creating the largest number of positive memories in these kids heads. If a coach wants to spend what is the equivalent, when comparing his salary to the average professional salary, to $2000 on a car to help that along, I say more power to them.

Now if you want to talk about how ridiculous is is that football coaches can make over 70 times what the average professional makes, the floor is yours... no argument here.

Something to keep in mind is that the $140,000 price tag isn't what most of the kids who get to ride in the car are seeing. What they are seeing is that they are getting to ride in a car that is not only cool but unique, and that creates a positive memory. That's part of what recruiting is... creating the largest number of positive memories in these kids heads. If a coach wants to spend what is the equivalent, when comparing his salary to the average professional salary, to $2000 on a car to help that along, I say more power to them.

Now if you want to talk about how ridiculous is is that football coaches can make over 70 times what the average professional makes, the floor is yours... no argument here.

Not sure about them not "seeing the price tag." They know that that is an EXPENSIVE car, which is what makes it "cool and unique." Like, "Oh yeah? You rode around in Malzahn's BMW? Well, that's cool, but I rode around in Harbaugh's Bentley - here's my picture of it on instagram." Yes, the experience is great, but these kids want to be able to put it all over social media for everyone to see, and the bigger and better it is, the more they want everyone to see it.

My wife and I are leaders at our church's youth group. High school girls literally have formulas for whether or not to keep instagram pictures up. If they don't get x amount of likes with in y amount of time, then they take it down. They strategize on when to post pictures, like first thing in the morning, so that when people first look at their phones they see that picture and then like it. I get that coaches are wanting to create a positive experience for kids, but when those experiences start escaping reality, then I start wondering.

My point is that recruiting reflects our culture's narcissism, especially among young people, and our obsession with opulence. I don't care that Malzahn went out and bought nice car that he could afford. Like I said, he might be a car guy. He may have always wanted one - and frankly, its his money. But, when coaches start using these things to recruit kids, that's when I get a bad taste in my mouth. Is it legal, as Keesler pointed out? Yeah, but my critique is on recruiting reflecting what I find to be some pretty superficial and dangerous values.

Again, I'm not hating on Malzahn. Its not him, its the world we live in, and its big-time college recruiting. I'm an active participant in the problem. I actually care about whether or not a high school kid picks the school I root for, so that I can feel good about things like Team Rankings on ESPN. Part of me wants our coaches to do whatever they can to entertain these kids, so that they will sign on the dotted line and in turn entertain me on Saturday afternoons. The whole thing is messed up.

Not sure about them not "seeing the price tag." They know that that is an EXPENSIVE car, which is what makes it "cool and unique." Like, "Oh yeah? You rode around in Malzahn's BMW? Well, that's cool, but I rode around in Harbaugh's Bentley - here's my picture of it on instagram." Yes, the experience is great, but these kids want to be able to put it all over social media for everyone to see, and the bigger and better it is, the more they want everyone to see it.

My wife and I are leaders at our church's youth group. High school girls literally have formulas for whether or not to keep instagram pictures up. If they don't get x amount of likes with in y amount of time, then they take it down. They strategize on when to post pictures, like first thing in the morning, so that when people first look at their phones they see that picture and then like it. I get that coaches are wanting to create a positive experience for kids, but when those experiences start escaping reality, then I start wondering.

My point is that recruiting reflects our culture's narcissism, especially among young people, and our obsession with opulence. I don't care that Malzahn went out and bought nice car that he could afford. Like I said, he might be a car guy. He may have always wanted one - and frankly, its his money. But, when coaches start using these things to recruit kids, that's when I get a bad taste in my mouth. Is it legal, as Keesler pointed out? Yeah, but my critique is on recruiting reflecting what I find to be some pretty superficial and dangerous values.

Again, I'm not hating on Malzahn. Its not him, its the world we live in, and its big-time college recruiting. I'm an active participant in the problem. I actually care about whether or not a high school kid picks the school I root for, so that I can feel good about things like Team Rankings on ESPN. Part of me wants our coaches to do whatever they can to entertain these kids, so that they will sign on the dotted line and in turn entertain me on Saturday afternoons. The whole thing is messed up.

I guess my point is, when I was a teenager, longer ago than I like to think about, I still wanted to ride in a cool car, and I could care less what it cost... it was cool and that was all that mattered to me. I don't want to believe that the current generation has become so narcissistic that they compare MSRP on coach's cars. Maybe I'm wrong.

It is not narcissism....most 16-17-18 year old boys like really cool cars. That goes back probably since they were invented. Yeah they are expensive but most exotic cars are, that is what makes them cool.

It is not narcissism....most 16-17-18 year old boys like really cool cars. That goes back probably since they were invented. Yeah they are expensive but most exotic cars are, that is what makes them cool.

That was the point I was trying to make. Thanks for clarifying.

No one is disputing the fact that boys like cool cars. Most people like cool cars. I like cool cars.

And I've stated several times that if he bought the car for him, that's awesome. However, if it's a recruiting tool then yeah, it is catering to a materialistic and narcissistic generation, that says I want to be dazzled and entertained, do that and you have a chance with me. The more other coaches/programs put on a show, the more other schools do.

Again, the fact that he's taking guys to see his car or on a ride is for the obvious reason that guys like cars. I'm speaking to the overall implications that coaches are doing whatever they can to gain an edge with these guys, and these recruits know it's all about them.

The current recruiting atmosphere caters to the high school studs. It is all about them, and the more talented the more attention they grab. To keep hauling in these top 10 classes is tough work. Our coaches would love to bring in the #1 class every single year so they have to do whatever falls within the rules to not only get these top recruits attention, but to eventually get them to sign on the dotted line on NSD. I hope Gus takes a ton of 5* LBs for a joy ride in that fine car.

No one is disputing the fact that boys like cool cars. Most people like cool cars. I like cool cars.

And I've stated several times that if he bought the car for him, that's awesome. However, if it's a recruiting tool then yeah, it is catering to a materialistic and narcissistic generation, that says I want to be dazzled and entertained, do that and you have a chance with me. The more other coaches/programs put on a show, the more other schools do.

Again, the fact that he's taking guys to see his car or on a ride is for the obvious reason that guys like cars. I'm speaking to the overall implications that coaches are doing whatever they can to gain an edge with these guys, and these recruits know it's all about them.

I'm with you, Barnacle (I did read your previous posts, also).

I'll add that the price tag absolutely does matter to a lot of kids. Been that way for decades.

Archived