Gus Takes Recruit For Ride in His New BMW

Proud Tiger

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an automatic???

I was about to say something until I remembered that I've never driven a manual... :'(

No kidding? I suppose that's actually true of a lot of folks these days.

Drove one for years. Loved it. Drive an automatic now (crucial for Atlanta rush hour) but still am not even remotely comfortable steering with my right hand. And I'd cut my left foot off before I let it touch a brake pedal.

It's an automatic???

I was about to say something until I remembered that I've never driven a manual... :'(/>

Drove one for years. Loved it. Drive an automatic now (crucial for Atlanta rush hour) but still am not even remotely comfortable steering with my right hand. And I'd cut my left foot off before I let it touch a brake pedal.

I'm with you regarding the left foot thing. I drove a manual up until my last car purchase (in 2015). The car I bought didn't even have an option for a manual transmission, it's got a "dual clutch" with paddles on the steering wheel. It appears the manual transmission is a thing of the past, however, the manufacturer describes the dual clutch as a manual transmission. .

It's an automatic???

Can they even put a manual transmission on a hybrid? The i8 only has a 3 cylinder gas engine, it's primarily a plug-in electric.

It's an automatic???

I was about to say something until I remembered that I've never driven a manual... :'(/>

No kidding? I suppose that's actually true of a lot of folks these days

Yeah no kidding. I mean, I know how to, at least in theory. But I've also only been driving since 2003. It still really bugs me that I've never really learned how.

The car I bought didn't even have an option for a manual transmission, it's got a "dual clutch" with paddles on the steering wheel.

Wifey's car has those. Love 'em.

Can they even put a manual transmission on a hybrid? The i8 only has a 3 cylinder gas engine, it's primarily a plug-in electric.

Hmm. Good question. Hadn't considered that.

It's an automatic???

The i8 doesn't have an option for any other transmission except the automatic. Soon, if you want to drive a manual transmission, you may have to buy used.

It's an automatic???

No kidding? I suppose that's actually true of a lot of folks these days

Yeah no kidding. I mean, I know how to, at least in theory. But I've also only been driving since 2003. It still really bugs me that I've never really learned how.

If you know anybody with an old VW or BMW, be really nice to them. I learned on a '70 Beetle and I've yet to find a car that was as much fun to drive. Okay, maybe my buddy's Z3 right when they came out. And maybe that one was because it was a convertible and we were still young enough and they were still new enough that it was a big deal to be seen in.

It's an automatic???

The i8 doesn't have an option for any other transmission except the automatic. Soon, if you want to drive a manual transmission, you may have to by used.

That will make me VERY sad. I love the feel of a manual. I wouldn't want my SUV to be a manual, mind you, but I DEFINITELY wouldn't want my convertible to be an automatic.

Of course, if Google has their way, it won't be too much longer before we aren't driving at all.

Aren't most of these cars made without clutches anyway? Have a friend who drove a Lamborghini not too long ago and he told me it only had the paddle shifters. No clutch.

Man... I tried to be cool car guy and instead exposed myself as the exact opposite. Must be a day ending in "y". If anybody needs me, I'll be over on the outdated technology aisle.

Man... I tried to be cool car guy and instead exposed myself as the exact opposite. Must be a day ending in "y". If anybody needs me, I'll be over on the outdated technology aisle.

The struggle is real

It's an automatic???

I really like her.

Manual transmission + Hybrid Electric = Bad News.

I love manual transmissions, but quite honestly I don't understand why anyone would get one anymore. As of about 5 years ago, most (if not all) high performance cars went to dual clutch automatic transmissions with a clutch-less manual driving mode. They did this because the transmissions themselves could change gears faster than the human eye can blink, and it reduces the risk of the owner breaking his fancy car (because as we all know, just because you can afford that fancy car doesn't mean you know how to drive it).

It's an automatic???

I really like her.

I love manual transmissions, but quite honestly I don't understand why anyone would get one anymore. As of about 5 years ago, most (if not all) high performance cars went to dual clutch automatic transmissions with a clutch-less manual driving mode. They did this because the transmissions themselves could change gears faster than the human eye can blink, and it reduces the risk of the owner breaking his fancy car (because as we all know, just because you can afford that fancy car doesn't mean you know how to drive it).

I'm a little old school in that I prefer a manual transmission in a car because you can be part of the car when you drive on a challenging road. A little more thought has to go into driving when you have a manual transmission and your driving skills are more adept if you learn on manual transmission. The dual clutch is amazingly fast in the shift and if you are driving competitively it is the way to go, but realistically, how many times do we do that in a day (other than pulling up to a red light and a another hot car is sitting next to you)?

I love the engineering behind the dual clutch, the thrust is reduced and the shift is made, then you're back up to the requested thrust level in a blink of an eye. You can do the same thing with a manual without depressing the clutch, but it can cost you a new transmission if you miss the shift and it is not as fast.

It's an automatic???

I really like her.

It's all about the feel. In my manual transmission, I don't even need to look at the speedometer to know how fast I'm going. I'm just more connected to the car. In an automatic transmission, I feel completely disconnected and have to watch my gauges. Manual is also more fun, because you have control over what the car is doing, not a computer. (note: I've yet to drive anything with a paddle shifter)

Still... I'd rather commute in my Murano, because it's smooth and the computer is smart enough that it gets far better mileage than I could manually shifting.

had 3 manuals that i can remember. i have not had one in maybe 15-20 years. never want another but it is cool to drive one ever so often for old time sake.

It's an automatic???

I'm with you regarding the left foot thing. I drove a manual up until my last car purchase (in 2015). The car I bought didn't even have an option for a manual transmission, it's got a "dual clutch" with paddles on the steering wheel. It appears the manual transmission is a thing of the past, however, the manufacturer describes the dual clutch as a manual transmission. .

The sales department might have misled you. According to BMW NA's website, you can absolutely have an M4 built with a manual proper gearbox.

It's an automatic???

The sales department might have misled you. According to BMW NA's website, you can absolutely have an M4 built with a manual proper gearbox.

No, they didn't mislead me, I think my memory is failing. I checked my notes and found that I actually opted for the dual clutch transmission after taking a test drive and was amazed at the speed of the shifting on the M4. It was the Z4, 3.5 and 3.5is that does not have the option for a manual transmission. I still have a car with a stick, but it doesn't have all the bell and whistles.

Remember, he still eats at Waffle House.

Imagine seeing that pull up at the local waffle house

Remember, he still eats at Waffle House.

Imagine seeing that pull up at the local waffle house

It needs this tag bracket...

o_n5Bqfollow-me-waffle-house-a-license-plate-frame.jpg

Archived