2017 5* QB Tate Martell (Aggie decommit 5/3/16)

ellitor

Previously committed to Aggies on 8/20/15

635754253376288929-XXX-TATE-MARTELL-5793-74874352.JPG

Tate Martell, Dual-Threat QB

Las Vegas, NV

Ht: 5'11 | Wt: 205 | 40: 4.62

• Just received an AU offer

EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT I HAVE RECEIVED AN OFFER TO PLAY FOR AUBURN!!!

CcG9rlgUAAAQj9w.jpg

https://twitter.com/...051644691329024

• #1 Dual QB in the nation
  • Former teammates w/ Tyjon Lindsey who appears very high on AU
  • Currently committed to Texas A&M

Offers: Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, California, Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, UNLV, USC, Utah and Washington, among others.

247Sports: 4* (No. 1 DTQB, No. 51 overall)

ESPN: 4* (No. 81 overall)

Rivals: 4* (No. 1 DTQB, No. 22 overall)

Scout: 5* (No. 1 QB, No. 13 overall)

Hudl Highlights

A good read:

Quarterback rush: Tate Martell couldn’t wait to grow up

Tate Martell started playing football at age 7 in the Mitey Mite division of Pop Warner football in San Diego. He started out as a left tackle, then moved to tight end and wide receiver before getting a chance to play quarterback.

Pretty soon his parents realized they had a special player in their household. Coaches of opposing teams would approach them to remark about their son after games. Other parents would do the same thing.

“Most kids don't throw the ball in Pop Warner, they don't play that way; they usually just do a lot of running,” his mother says. “When he was able to be a throwing quarterback, that was a huge deal in Pop Warner. He had a great time. He just loved it. I think Tate is a better person when he's on the field. You know, he's happier there, he's calmer there.

“I was telling my dad the other day, I said when Tate, if he makes it in the NFL, I said he should build a football field and then put his house in the middle, because Tate's, his aura, would be a lot calmer in life, he would just be a lot happier if he could just live there.”

“In a good way, he loves the attention,” Sanchez says. “It kind of drives him to work hard. He likes the reporters coming out. He likes the pictures. He's a great kid. He gets a 3.5 GPA, he doesn't getting trouble in school. He loves football.

Capture.jpg

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always tough to tell, but he looks smaller than Sean White to me.

And his playing style is a lot like Sean. I'm sure hoping they let Sean cut loose this spring and toss the rock around.

So, do those that think Sean White is too small want us to stay away from this guy? They are the same size, for all practical purposes. In fact, by the time September gets here White may be bigger.

Mikey, IMO an important difference between a smallish QB like Sean and smallish QB like Tate is that when you can scamper like Tate (and for the most part unlike Sean) you are more like a 5'11" running back - used to getting hit, harder to get a clean shot on, etc - than a pocket passer running for his life. Tate's a true dual threat, best in the country right now, whereas Sean's resume always had endorsements that sounded like "he can run surprisingly well for a true pocket passer" and "he surprised me with his running ability...really".

Why on the earth he would want to play for TAM I have no idea.

I have a feeling that our #1 talking point will be the disposable nature of 5* QBs at A&M.

Always tough to tell, but he looks smaller than Sean White to me.

And his playing style is a lot like Sean. I'm sure hoping they let Sean cut loose this spring and toss the rock around.

Much more athletic than Sean.

2nd this.

maybe because he is a carbon copy of Manziel? Or is he not?

Yeah I hope he isnt another Manziel. Unless he comes to Auburn of course.

I have a feeling that our #1 talking point will be the disposable nature of 5* QBs at A&M.

I hope so. I hope they negative recruit their hearts out

He looks very small on film. I would say 5'11" is a stretch. Kid can really wing the ball though and he does look athletic and he has a quick release. He would have culture shock if he came to AU after being in Las Vegas.

2nd this.

have you guys ever been to college station? I live here. I love Auburn just as much as you guys but TAMU is a great place with great athletics. they have a lot of traditions and their athletics facilities take a back seat to no one.

I think they are referring to the fact that their program under Sumlin's watch has been actively dying for all of us to see.

I hope so. I hope they negative recruit their hearts out

Heck, that's not negative recruiting, that just stating the obvious.

I think they are referring to the fact that their program under Sumlin's watch has been actively dying for all of us to see.

Yep.

I personally like Sumlin. he's just suffering from what CGM is suffering from. Over achieving on your first year and the fans expecting too much.

Archived