2017 5* QB Tate Martell (Aggie decommit 5/3/16)

ellitor

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I'm starting to see a pattern here.....

if accuracy isn't an athletic ability, then there are literally millions of qbs out there, which makes it that much more difficult to stomach the qb play from AU the past couple of years. :-(

I guess that's true...QBs aren't athletes....just like everyone knows that race car drivers and golfers aren't athletes either....nobody cares about their bench presses total or 40 times or standing broad jump distances .....has nothing to do with their success.

>:(

if accuracy isn't an athletic ability, then there are literally millions of qbs out there, which makes it that much more difficult to stomach the qb play from AU the past couple of years. :-(

I guess that's true...QBs aren't athletes....just like everyone knows that race car drivers and golfers aren't athletes either....nobody cares about their bench presses total or 40 times or standing broad jump distances .....has nothing to do with their success.

>:(

Oh gee....did I hurt your feelings? It sure wasn't intentional...and meanwhile Craig Stadler sends his regards.... :)

If that's the case, then should pitchers be considered athletic?

Some are. Some aren't. There have been great pitchers over the years that weren't athletic. Athletic ability or athleticism, at least traditionally, is your ability to run and jump well. Ya know, the basic drills every player has to do at the NFL combine.

Accuracy is definitely heavily relied on special ability & skill, I just don't think it's athletic or apart of athleticism itself.

Disagreeing on what counts as 'athletic', I see. Yep, it's definitely the off-season. Anyone for a debate on the merits of the bench press? Orange facemasks? Anyone? Anyone?

Also, apparently Steph Curry isn't terribly athletic since he's mostly just a jump shooter, right?

That is a sport specific skill not an indication of overall raw athleticism. He's athletic because the nature of basketball at that that level requires almost all players to be athletic.

My story quickly. I have mild cerebral palsy that limits all things on the right side of my body a bit. Now if anyone saw me play sports they would know in the 1st 10 seconds I was not athletic. However, I was always all time QB when we played pick up games because w/in 30 yards I was always the best of my peers at throwing accuracy & ball placement. If I could not do that I just would have just been a decoy route runner.

Also, apparently Steph Curry isn't terribly athletic since he's mostly just a jump shooter, right?

That is a sport specific skill not an indication of overall raw athleticism. He's athletic because the nature of basketball at that that level requires almost all players to be athletic.

My story quickly. I have mild cerebral palsy that limits all things on the right side of my body a bit. Now if anyone saw me play sports they would know in the 1st 10 seconds I was not athletic. However, I was always all time QB when we played pick up games because w/in 30 yards I was always the best of my peers at throwing accuracy & ball placement. If I could not do that I just would have just been a decoy route runner.

Throwing, shooting (anything), swinging (a club or bat), hitting (a ball or a target), well are all indications of athletic ability, in my book. One of the reasons we have so many different sports/games is because of the vast variety of athletic skill sets.

Those who can do everything well may be the best athletes (Bo Jackson comes to mind). But I'm not going to say someone like Jordan Spieth isn't an athlete.

Throwing, shooting (anything), swinging (a club or bat), hitting (a ball or a target), well are all indications of athletic ability, in my book. One of the reasons we have so many different sports/games is because of the vast variety of athletic skill sets.

Those who can do everything well may be the best athletes (Bo Jackson comes to mind). But I'm not going to say someone like Jordan Spieth isn't an athlete.

I wouldn't say Spieth is not an athlete either. I don't know how well he moves. Anything to do w/ accuracy is strictly hand-eye coordination in my book, not a measure of athleticism.

I wouldn't say Spieth is not an athlete either. I don't know how well he moves. Anything to do w/ accuracy is strictly hand-eye coordination in my book, not a measure of athleticism.

Yeah, we draw the line differently. Hand-eye coordination is something I include in athleticism.

I guess since Michael Jordan couldn't hit a baseball very well he wasn't an athlete either? As noted several times above, there are different skills that can be described as athletic ability. Throwing a football accurately for a significant distance is one of them.

Yeah, whoever said it, this is definitely an offseason conversation centered around a kid that we have little chance of signing.

Even so, fun conversation. I'm definitely in the camp that there are different aspects of athleticism, and sports are designed to test them all. It's one of the reasons I like football. It offers the most diversity of athleticism. Big burly dudes that are super strong. We have a spot for you. Little fast guy. We have a spot for you. Dude that can throw it a mile. We have a spot for you. Dude that can't throw it a mile but can spot it like William Tell. We have a spot for you. Guy that can kick things a long way. We have a spot for you. You get the picture. In my book, those are all forms of athleticism, and football puts them all on display.

There are two types of coordination. Fine motor skills and major motor skills. It takes both to be an "elite" athlete. One side is accuracy in throwing which involves both fine motor skills and large motor skills. Take a Xbox or ps4 gamer. Fine motor skills developed. Can probably pick up a golf club or baseball bat and make solid contact but from the muscle memory reps lacking in the major motor skills would probably look really goofy and with no power.

I'll also add that the Elite 11 competition 100% involves evaluating a quarterback's athletic ability. I think most people underestimate the athleticism required to play the position, even for a traditional drop-back passer. Most people equate athleticism, at least for the quarterback position to mean the ability to scramble, run and create plays with your feet outside of the pocket. It is true that quarterbacks like Cam, or Russell Wilson, or Steve Young are/were tremendous athletes. I'd take it a step further and call them elite athletes, even by NFL standards.

However, even your average drop-back quarterback in the NFL is a phenomenal athlete. Go watch Drew Brees play. He's not a 4.5 40 kind of guy. He's not going to rush 8 times a game for 40 yards. However, he's also 5' 10" and he's one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the league (or at least was at one point). The only way that is possible is through his athleticism. Drew has really incredible feet. Much like a tennis player is able to move along the baseline, quarterbacks need to be able to move quickly and precisely around the pocket.

In fact, I think a good comparison of the athleticism needed to play quarterback is the athleticism needed to play professional tennis. And remember, a lot of quarterbacks are 6'2 +. Yet, they have to be able to sense pressure from guys like Von Miller, and then get their body into position to make a good throw. Its the same thing for tennis players. Quick reaction time, getting themselves into position to make good contact with the ball.

When guys are going to camps, especially quarterback camps like the Elite 11, they are being worked hard on their footwork. Its the most important aspect of playing the position, more important than arm strength. Accuracy is the result of good footwork. The position starts at the feet and works its way up.

No. He has just as much ability to drive and score in the paint whenever the defense over extends. He has really improved his dribble as well. He is very athletic. In practice one time he hit 94 out of 100 threes. that is athletic.

I won 7 straight games of beer pong at a tailgate back in college hitting the same cup with both shots to start each game and closed out 4 of them hitting the same cup with both shots. Am I athletic?!?!

I won 7 straight games of beer pong at a tailgate back in college hitting the same cup with both shots to start each game and closed out 4 of them hitting the same cup with both shots. Am I athletic?!?!

Depends... did you have to grab the ball from a guy on the side of the table, move into position, and hit the cup, that's at least 20 feet away, before your opponent hit you? If not, then, no... you're just one of the rare few who's motor skills are enhanced by alcohol.

According to Golf, drinking PBR is/should be an Olympic event. Just sayin'.......

JMO but in this age of specialization we no longer find out who the most athletic performer because the best athletes get pointed in one direction early on and don't develop their other skills.....often based on which sport is emphasized in their community.

Guys like Speith or Tiger started playing golf young and likely never tried to seriously play other sports....probably shot basketball in pick-up games or something like that but once their special talent was identified I bet they never gave other traditional HS sports a shot.

The jury is still out on JJ but could be if had stuck to basketball, he might have had a better college career....or for example, if he had grown up in Chicago or Philly, it's likely that he never would have tried football.

Somewhere inside all the great athletes there is something special that separates them from the rest of us and it's not always physical. .....the "size of the fight in the dog and not the size of the dog in the fight" kind of thing.

I see Martell says Jake Spavital is his favorite coach. My guess is he probably ends up at A&M or wherever Spavital goes after this season IMO

Spavital worked under Gus at Tulsa if I'm not mistaken. I'd rather have him on staff instead of Lashlee lol. While they are similar in age. Spavital's resume > Lashlee's. Not by a wide margin, but he has more big time d1 experience than CRL.

No. He has just as much ability to drive and score in the paint whenever the defense over extends. He has really improved his dribble as well. He is very athletic. In practice one time he hit 94 out of 100 threes. that is athletic.

Have to disagree with that, being able to shoot is athletic. I know an old guy that goes to the Y in Florence that can out shoot many young guys in the area. Steph is athletic, it's his agility and quickness that are on a different level, hence him being able to create his own shot in any situation.....But if don't care what anybody says being able to win a qb comp doesn't prove you to be athletic, it means you're more than likely skilled but not athletic.

Archived