Can Auburn reach these goals in 2016?

StatTiger

From 2000-2015, there was 121 teams that...

...finished ranked in the top-35 of pass-efficiency

...finished ranked in the top-25 in run offense

...finished ranked in the top-55 of scoring defense (all in the same year)

Those 121 teams had a combined win percentage of .808 with 89 of the teams winning at least 75 percent of their games. Of the 121 teams, the 2002, 2010 and 2013 Auburn teams made the list. Only 1 of the 121 teams finished with a losing record and 26 of the 121 finished with a win pct under 70 percent.

Last year Auburn finished at #79 in pass-efficiency, #35 in run offense and #54 in scoring defense. Based on last season's rankings, the pass offense appears to be the largest obstacle to overcome in 2016. Malzahn's pass offense was #22 in 2009, #1 in 2010, #78 in 2011, #24 in 2013 and #8 during 2014.

Great info Stuart. Yes, with a stronger OL, a healthy Jovon, and a DT QB, we can. JF 3 is the key IMHO. Playing behind a better OL. And if Carl can stay healthy this could be another 2013.

2016 will be an interesting season no doubt. I think that our OL will be one of the best in the SEC. CHH seems to be well liked by the OLs. I think that this will be one our strengths going into the 2016 season.

A little surprised the 2002 team made the cut but not the 2004 team. Where did the 2004 team fall short? I think 2002 was a year we went back and forth between Cobb and Campbell, and I don't remember it being because they both were playing great.

I think it's very possible. With the returning players on defense we definitely have a chance there. They have to step up and show they are ready for the big time. The receiving corps is going to be a key as you've pointed out. I'm confident we'll have good production from whoever ends up being the quarterback.

A little surprised the 2002 team made the cut but not the 2004 team. Where did the 2004 team fall short? I think 2002 was a year we went back and forth between Cobb and Campbell, and I don't remember it being because they both were playing great.

The way I remember it Petrino had Campbell playing pretty well in the second half of the season.

Agreed -- it seems wild that they missed these targets.

Well, if somebody can find a QB, and somebody can find some receivers who can get open and catch the ball, and if two offensive tackles and a powerful FB turn up to do some blocking -- the fact is, Auburn has some real challenges on offense.

And in the end, correlation is not causality. The numbers that Stat is providing point to the inevitable -- scoring offense vs scoring defense tells the final story. If you don't score more than your opponents, you don't win, and every week is a new proof of that reality.

I think so on the run game. The last three years Gus has used the running back by committee approach to find out who his starter is by the fourth or fifth game of the season. It seems Gus has already established JR as the starting back and is more focused on finding a backup. As far as passing....no idea who our QB will be. Young receiving corp. I don't think we are going to be a strong passing team this year. Defense? I felt that last season there were too many upper class-man that developed a mentality of its ok to give up 20+ points a game as long as the offense can score 31 while under Chizik. Kris Frost was one of them. I think Muschamp and now Steele are having to build a different mentality for the players.

IMHO....AU will.

I agree with keesler. Too many question marks that ALL need to turn to positives for us to reach these benchmarks. Biggest of all is if we will have an effective QB or not

• 2 weeks later...

reaching any good goal on defense seems far fetched when we just came off a season where we were bottom of the league in almost every defensive category

#13 - Total D - 405 ypg

#11 - Scoring D - 26 ppg

#11 - Rushing D - 183 ypg

#11 - Passing D - 222 ypg

# 13 - Sacks - 19 total

#14 - TFL - 53 total

# 3 - INT - 14 total

#13 - fumbles recovered - 5 total

Offense depends on if we can find a QB. Defense depends on if we can generate some push from the front line and if we can find some LB's. It ain't rocket science. It's just basic football.

If we can get elite line execution on both sides of the ball and that makes a world of difference. Qb/WR/RB look good behind an oline that can execute - LB/CB/Safeties look good behind a nasty dline.

A little surprised the 2002 team made the cut but not the 2004 team. Where did the 2004 team fall short?

I had the same thought, so I looked it up.

2004 Passing Efficiency - #2

2004 Scoring Defense - #1

2004 Rushing Offense - #29

They were 2.52 yards/game from finishing at #25.

Darn Jason Campbell taking all those kneeldowns to win games.

Seriously, Campbell had 29 yards of kneeldown v bammer to run out the clock, which equals a loss of 2.23 yards/game for the season.

We only needed 33 more yards rushing for the season to finish at #25 in Rushing Offense.

A little surprised the 2002 team made the cut but not the 2004 team. Where did the 2004 team fall short?

Seriously, Campbell had 29 yards of kneeldown v bammer to run out the clock, which equals a loss of 2.23 yards/game for the season.

We only needed 33 more yards rushing for the season to finish at #25 in Rushing Offense.

Wow. Good stuff.

Wow. Good stuff.

Another interesting note regarding the 2004 run-offense. Auburn that season gained 17.4% more yardage rushing than the opponent normally allowed. In comparison, the 2015 Auburn run-offense hit at 25.3%. The 2013 run-offense hit at 92%, 2010 was 97% and 2014 was 63%.

Archived