2016 Spring Practice - Day 2

RunInRed

The reality is, everyone had good ideas and bad ideas and sometimes what is good or bad can't be known until it's tested. It's pretty well documented that it was an assistant that talked Gus into keeping Duke last summer... Good idea in theory... lots of damage done come fall.

As for the Georgia game, putting Sean in was not "planned". They had to do something. Georgia was stuffing our run and Jeremy couldn't make a 3rd down pass to save his life. Once again, had Sean been able to perform, hurt, everyone would be calling it a genius move. They couldn't know until they gave him a shot and time to try to get his rhythm.

Some of you armchair coaches astound me. You really believe that Gus goes into a game thinking "we're going to do this thing that makes no sense, just because I want to." or "We're going to play this guy, because I like him, even though he's not the best player." I guarantee you that there was a logical and strategic reason for every move that he made on the field last year, whether he was playing chess with his opponent, or just trying to grind something out when all of his weapons were depleted. The only thing that he can be faulted for is not going live in practice enough to know that Jeremy would freeze up.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is, everyone had good ideas and bad ideas and sometimes what is good or bad can't be known until it's tested. It's pretty well documented that it was an assistant that talked Gus into keeping Duke last summer... Good idea in theory... lots of damage done come fall.

As for the Georgia game, putting Sean in was not "planned". They had to do something. Georgia was stuffing our run and Jeremy couldn't make a 3rd down pass to save his life. Once again, had Sean been able to perform, hurt, everyone would be calling it a genius move. They couldn't know until they gave him a shot and time to try to get his rhythm.

Some of you armchair coaches astound me. You really believe that Gus goes into a game thinking "we're going to do this thing that makes no sense, just because I want to." or "We're going to play this guy, because I like him, even though he's not the best player." I guarantee you that there was a logical and strategic reason for every move that he made on the field last year, whether he was playing chess with his opponent, or just trying to grind something out when all of his weapons were depleted. The only thing that he can be faulted for is not going live in practice enough to know that Jeremy would freeze up.

GREAT POST!

With regards to the Iron bowl, the point is that there was a discussion and a unified decision was made to not make a change at that time. I never made any assumption about who was arguing for the change.

The UGA game last year, Gus in his presser said he had planned to play both QBs before the game.

I'm no armchair coach, but I do react to what I see on Saturdays, listen to reasons why things were done and question some of those things. It is a message board about Auburn football. A lot of people on this board have much more insight to the program than me and I am trying to get more knowledge.

As to your two quotes; think what play we ran after a first down 90% of the time and Jovon vs Barber.

I hope Gus exceeds expectations this year and for years to come. I don't want to go through another coaching change anytime soon.

With regards to the Iron bowl, the point is that there was a discussion and a unified decision was made to not make a change at that time. I never made any assumption about who was arguing for the change.

The UGA game last year, Gus in his presser said he had planned to play both QBs before the game.

I'm no armchair coach, but I do react to what I see on Saturdays, listen to reasons why things were done and question some of those things. It is a message board about Auburn football. A lot of people on this board have much more insight to the program than me and I am trying to get more knowledge.

As to your two quotes; think what play we ran after a first down 90% of the time and Jovon vs Barber.

I hope Gus exceeds expectations this year and for years to come. I don't want to go through another coaching change anytime soon.

Impossible to know if LK and NS were unified in that decision. They may have been, but then again they may not have. LK may have been adamant in a change and NS did not take his advice. We can't assume anything about that conversation.

If you have coaches and or players who don't buy into the system, then you probably won't be very successful.

100% accurate.

Question. Did Gus slow his offense for Muschamp? Or did Rett get more play calling duties and not run Gus's offense the way Gus runs it?

Question. Did Gus slow his offense for Muschamp? Or did Rett get more play calling duties and not run Gus's offense the way Gus runs it?

We were an inexperienced team with no quarterback. Our starting center had never played the position before, even in high school. We have one offensive player projected to go higher than the sixth round of the draft and it's entirely possible that we will have no skill players drafted. One of our best playmakers was a head case who was gone after 3 games and the other spent most of the season injured or in the doghouse. We didn't have a single TE or HB who wasn't a freshman.

I really should just be copying and pasting this at this point.

Some on here show exactly what could potentially be a problem if you surround yourself with yes men....it's easy to see the people that just love Gus with all their heart....That's fine but you will also notice how every single thing that either went wrong or maybe could have gone better there is an excuse or pass of the blame. This is just a message board though but having people like that surrounding you professionally?? That won't work. Like the excuses made up for not playing Robinson more? Somebody should have challenged that. But maybe they did. I can't say if these people around him are yes men or not, but if they are won't be too many more excuses to come up with

There is a huge difference between a "yes man" and being on the same page as someone.

Beat quote in this thread

We were an inexperienced team with no quarterback. Our starting center had never played the position before, even in high school. We have one offensive player projected to go higher than the sixth round of the draft and it's entirely possible that we will have no skill players drafted. One of our best playmakers was a head case who was gone after 3 games and the other spent most of the season injured or in the doghouse. We didn't have a single TE or HB who wasn't a freshman.

These are all excellent EXCUSES for being bad on offense last year. Every year every team has reasons they could struggle. In the end the great teams and coaches find ways to succeed even when things don't go there way. Our center who had never played before had a year to adjust to the position and also had starting experience in the SEC. He was also surrounded with experienced players on the OL to help out. He also beat out a JC guy who did have experience playing center and was highly thought of. We are going into Gus' 4th year.....if we don't have talented enough skill payers then that is on him. Duke was a head case.....Gus decided to bring him on and let him stay with the team. Only freshmen TE and HB? We don't really use the TE so don't know why that matters. Young FB guys? Gus should have recruited the position better.

Look I'm not saying run Gus off yet. Last year was the first year he REALLY struggled on O in college. So i'm curious to see how things go this next year. But I just have an issue with people putting up EXCUSES like that as a way to justify poor performance. Yeah they're valid....but they are there every year and if you start to except excuses where do you stop?

I question the "yes men" stuff because it's not like Gus fired a bunch of coaches that caused problems and disagreed with his philosophy.....Coaches left of their own free will, on good terms with Gus and with AU and Gus found replacements with people feels like will help him and his players reach their goals.

Gus has "HIS" men on staff.....he's always has "HIS" men. No one at AU has dictated to Gus who he is allowed to hire, they've always been HIS choices.

We didn't have much of a problem with that when we were handing the ball off to Tre' Mason.

We hired Gus because he has had success with his philosophy. What Gus has done is bend philosophy for Houston Nutt, and Gene Chizik as a coordinator, and to some extent, Will Muschamp and Ellis Johnson as a head coach. He has had his offense questioned, by the media as gimmicky, although as time has passed other schools have incorporated some of the same concepts. Gus has had a lot of turnover because he went after the best and the brightest in the industry. That has good and bad ramifications. I think Gus is looking for coaches who are completely sold out on making AU great first. Not saying that the other coaches were not, but they were at different points in their careers which may have led to the continuity of the staff being a bit off. AU needs continuity. We need an identity. We build that with stability.

There is a huge difference between a "yes man" and being on the same page as someone.

The best quote also.

any reports on how Prince Tega is doing/looking? He is my dark horse for the year, and am excited to see what he can bring to the mix. WDE

Keeping JR in good behavior (and from being injured) is one of the most important goals of this offseason. I have a bad Duke/Dyer feeling about JR, but maybe he's corrected himself?

The best quote also.

Gold star for you!!! Congrats!

Keeping JR in good behavior (and from being injured) is one of the most important goals of this offseason. I have a bad Duke/Dyer feeling about JR, but maybe he's corrected himself?

Were the JR attitude problems ever confirmed? I assume he's in good standing, considering how many touches he got against Memphis.

any reports on how Prince Tega is doing/looking? He is my dark horse for the year, and am excited to see what he can bring to the mix. WDE

Good question. Look for some insight on Tega as well. He has all the measurables. He just lacks experience. I hope he was able to use his redshirt year to get up to speed.

Don't know whether Gus hired yes men or not but as some have mentioned both types of coaches can be successful. I am sure that everyone that works for the midget too the west of us, are yes men or they will not be employed long and that includes their administration. Seems by his record he has been successful using that style. Gus admits he made decisions that got away from our strong point. Sometimes it is easy to lose track of things like that when you are trying to improve. 2013 was so close and we lost because of the defense. He tried to correct the defense in 2014 but things got worse. I think last year he tried to change the offense to counter the defensive short-comings and resulted in both being bad, while both did seem to improve towards the last of the year. I think he will counter this year with getting the offense back up to speed and try to improve the defense with a deeper defense like we had in 2010. WDE

Saban seems to surround himself with "Yes Men" If this is what Gus needs to win big again, then I say for him to go for it.

We didn't have much of a problem with that when we were handing the ball off to Tre' Mason.

We hired Gus because he has had success with his philosophy. What Gus has done is bend philosophy for Houston Nutt, and Gene Chizik as a coordinator, and to some extent, Will Muschamp and Ellis Johnson as a head coach. He has had his offense questioned, by the media as gimmicky, although as time has passed other schools have incorporated some of the same concepts. Gus has had a lot of turnover because he went after the best and the brightest in the industry. That has good and bad ramifications. I think Gus is looking for coaches who are completely sold out on making AU great first. Not saying that the other coaches were not, but they were at different points in their careers which may have led to the continuity of the staff being a bit off. AU needs continuity. We need an identity. We build that with stability.

Well stated. Glad someone brought clarity and facts to the discussion.......

No problem, we'll just discuss the same nonsense that's brought up in every thread. Seems about par for the course around here.

Archived