2016 Auburn Pro Day

KerryThachWDE

Gus decided it was ok for him to participate, which I think was a good call, because otherwise he'd be actively hurting Duke's chance of furthering his career. He needed to let Duke succeed or fail on his own, without interfering. Participating in the pro day for the last team you played for is a standard process of getting to the NFL. We did what needed to be done by kicking him off the team... further punishment, when allowing his participation doesn't hurt the university, is uncalled for.

Asking Dampeer was also totally the right call. Duke assaulted Dampeer, so he is the one person who could suffer ill effects of Duke returning for pro day. If he was uncomfortable with him being around, that would be the one legitimate reason to deny him a chance.

The only person who has actively hurt Duke's chance of furthering his career is Duke. Over and over and over. Yet after continually breaking rules he gets the reward regardless. I was not raised that way nor were my children, Dampeer is a student and should not be put in the position of making these decisions. If we had a real football coach or AD he would not have to. Good luck to Duke on his life path, but as a football player, student and representative of Auburn University he was a complete waste of time. As he spent his football career doing things other than becoming a better football player I doubt he will set the NFL on fire.

Wow... you seem awfully bitter. Allowing a kid to participate in an event where it's up to them how it goes is no reward. Not allowing it would have made Auburn into the bad guy in many people's eyes. It didn't hurt Auburn one bit that he was there. Also, Dampeer was not put in a position, he was rightfully given the opportunity to say no. It's actually a very common practice to give the victim of an assault the right to say that they don't want the person who assaulted them in their presence.

Lighten up, man... the world will be a much better place for you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was AU's Pro Day televised? Did I miss it?

I see where MSU's will be on ESPN today.

Earlier in this thread someone said it was not televised this year. Don't know other than that.

Gus decided it was ok for him to participate, which I think was a good call, because otherwise he'd be actively hurting Duke's chance of furthering his career. He needed to let Duke succeed or fail on his own, without interfering. Participating in the pro day for the last team you played for is a standard process of getting to the NFL. We did what needed to be done by kicking him off the team... further punishment, when allowing his participation doesn't hurt the university, is uncalled for.

Asking Dampeer was also totally the right call. Duke assaulted Dampeer, so he is the one person who could suffer ill effects of Duke returning for pro day. If he was uncomfortable with him being around, that would be the one legitimate reason to deny him a chance.

The only person who has actively hurt Duke's chance of furthering his career is Duke. Over and over and over. Yet after continually breaking rules he gets the reward regardless. I was not raised that way nor were my children, Dampeer is a student and should not be put in the position of making these decisions. If we had a real football coach or AD he would not have to. Good luck to Duke on his life path, but as a football player, student and representative of Auburn University he was a complete waste of time. As he spent his football career doing things other than becoming a better football player I doubt he will set the NFL on fire.

Wow... you seem awfully bitter. Allowing a kid to participate in an event where it's up to them how it goes is no reward. Not allowing it would have made Auburn into the bad guy in many people's eyes. It didn't hurt Auburn one bit that he was there. Also, Dampeer was not put in a position, he was rightfully given the opportunity to say no. It's actually a very common practice to give the victim of an assault the right to say that they don't want the person who assaulted them in their presence.

i also tend to believe that Gus let XD make the call but had he said " no" we would not have ever known about it.

I doubt he's that fast now. He was drafted in 2009.

Why wouldn't he be that fast? He's 29 years old, not 39.

The comparison doesn't even make any sense. Edelman is incredibly quick which allows him to create separation. Duke Williams is just a big body; he doesn't create separation.

Bitter?

Nope just objective opinions. All of it to do with properly running an institution of higher education and individuals being held accountable for their actions. You seem to have taken my comments and made them an emotional issue with all of the "lighten up" stuff and presuming you know what makes my world a better place. By the way I'm so light now I can sit on helium and college football is not a significant enough issue to have any determination as to my outlook on the world. But hey, I really appreciate your concern for my mental well being.

Other than that you are just plain wrong, as is our coach.

Again, try be objective and not emotional.

Williams is not a kid he is 22 years old.

It is a reward and an honor to play ball at Auburn and be associated with Auburn athletics in any way. He was given this honor, and behaved in a way that brought disgrace to himself and distraction to the team. Great publicity for Auburn while it was being discussed on national news venues. Dampeer's season ended before he got to the hospital. Thanks, Duke.

As far as Dampeer being involved in the decision - If Dampeer says yes there are consequences and if he says no there are consequences and his decision determines the outcome of whether Williams is there. Those who have authority to make decisions are responsible for the outcome of those decisions. He is a student not a managerial decision-maker. How you get to the point that he has a right to this decision I don't know. Where is that in the bylaws? I am guessing you are not a lawyer or business owner as it's actually not a very common practice in a business entity to give the victim of an assault the right to say that they do or don't want the person who assaulted them in their presence. If the person who did the assaulting is allowed back and something does happen it opens the entity to great liability. It's most common that the person who did the assaulting is arrested and dismissed. Just as Duke was. I have been down that road more than once.

As far as your comment - "Not allowing it would have made Auburn into the bad guy in many people's eyes" - whose eyes are these and how many are there? You really believe that not allowing a grown man who repeatedly broke the rules (and a teammate's face) to come to pro day would create bad publicity? The feedback in my circle is just the opposite and frankly that circle includes a few cats that give a fair amount of money to Auburn.

Bitter?

Nope just objective opinions. All of it to do with properly running an institution of higher education and individuals being held accountable for their actions. You seem to have taken my comments and made them an emotional issue with all of the "lighten up" stuff and presuming you know what makes my world a better place. By the way I'm so light now I can sit on helium and college football is not a significant enough issue to have any determination as to my outlook on the world. But hey, I really appreciate your concern for my mental well being.

It is a reward and an honor to play ball at Auburn and be associated with Auburn athletics in any way. He was given this honor, and behaved in a way that brought disgrace to himself and distraction to the team. Great publicity for Auburn while it was being discussed on national news venues. Dampeer's season ended before he got to the hospital. Thanks, Duke.

As far as Dampeer being involved in the decision - If Dampeer says yes there are consequences and if he says no there are consequences and his decision determines the outcome of whether Williams is there. Those who have authority to make decisions are responsible for the outcome of those decisions. He is a student not a managerial decision-maker. How you get to the point that he has a right to this decision I don't know. Where is that in the bylaws? I am guessing you are not a lawyer or business owner as it's actually not a very common practice in a business entity to give the victim of an assault the right to say that they do or don't want the person who assaulted them in their presence. If the person who did the assaulting is allowed back and something does happen it opens the entity to great liability. It's most common that the person who did the assaulting is arrested and dismissed. Just as Duke was. I have been down that road more than once.

As far as your comment - "Not allowing it would have made Auburn into the bad guy in many people's eyes" - whose eyes are these and how many are there? You really believe that not allowing a grown man who repeatedly broke the rules (and a teammate's face) to come to pro day would create bad publicity? The feedback in my circle is just the opposite and frankly that circle includes a few cats that give a fair amount of money to Auburn.

1. Duke was kicked off the team, not kicked out of Auburn.

2. Colleges are not businesses. Their #1 priority is providing avenues for their students to succeed... not infinitely punishing them for the mistakes they made. Duke was punished when he was kicked off the team. Preventing him from having a shot at proving himself to NFL scouts if above and beyond. Now, if he had gotten coaching or anything else to give him a leg up, that would have been a reward, but just letting him show up was not.

3. It's not even remotely unprecedented for colleges to allow people who aren't on the team to participate in pro days.

4. As I tried to explain, Dampeer didn't make the decision, he had first right of refusal. That is actually EXTREMELY common in cases like this. If you want to talk business, I'll put on my HR hat and we can talk about how, if this was a business situation, Gus could be sued by Dampeer for letting Duke in without asking his permission because it could be consider creating a hostile workplace.

5. Finally, the eyes who would have seen us as the bad guy are the ones of the players who we hope to recruit in the future. They are FAR more important than cats with money... no matter how those cats feel about themselves.

Why are we assuming XD had the ultimate power? Maybe he was just asked "Do you feel comfortable if Duke is at Pro Day?" And Gus making the decision based on XD's level of comfort being in the presence of the guy who seriously injured him in a malicious manner. I doubt it was "Hey X, should Duke be allowed to run drills at Pro Day? Yes or no?"

Why are we assuming XD had the ultimate power? Maybe he was just asked "Do you feel comfortable if Duke is at Pro Day?" And Gus making the decision based on XD's level of comfort being in the presence of the guy who seriously injured him in a malicious manner. I doubt it was "Hey X, should Duke be allowed to run drills at Pro Day? Yes or no?"

Hah! This is the internet, bro, where incredibly complex and nuanced situations can be encapsulated in one short sentence or out of context quote.

I'm sure it was more... "X. Duke has asked to participate and I'm going to tell him he can, but I want to make sure that it wouldn't cause you any concern before I did."

Bitter?

2. Colleges are not businesses. Their #1 priority is providing avenues for their students to succeed... not infinitely punishing them for the mistakes they made. Duke was punished when he was kicked off the team. Preventing him from having a shot at proving himself to NFL scouts if above and beyond. Now, if he had gotten coaching or anything else to give him a leg up, that would have been a reward, but just letting him show up was not.

3. It's not even remotely unprecedented for colleges to allow people who aren't on the team to participate in pro days.

4. As I tried to explain, Dampeer didn't make the decision, he had first right of refusal. That is actually EXTREMELY common in cases like this. If you want to talk business, I'll put on my HR hat and we can talk about how, if this was a business situation, Gus could be sued by Dampeer for letting Duke in without asking his permission because it could be consider creating a hostile workplace.

5. Finally, the eyes who would have seen us as the bad guy are the ones of the players who we hope to recruit in the future. They are FAR more important than cats with money... no matter how those cats feel about themselves.

I'll use your word.

Wow.

I was not aware he stayed in class after his dismissal from the football team and the loss of his scholarship. Good for him. What is he studying? Even so Pro Day is an extension of the football program and to my knowledge is not open to the general student population.

Colleges are business. They file tax returns, follow the laws of employment, deal with OSHA and the NLRB. I don't know how to respond to it being infinite punishment not to allow his presence at pro day. Mr. Williams was given every chance to succeed but decided not to take them. There are consequences to decisions. By the way their #1 priority, as with any school, is the safety of the students.

Common for people who are kicked off of the team after assaulting another player?

The right of refusal is a decision. If he says yes he comes if he says no he does not. How is that not a decision? You are so far in left field that there is no point in continuing to tell you how mistaken you are regardless of your HR hat.

It is interesting that you not only feel that high school football players are more important than those who donate both small and large sums of money for buildings, research, professorships and academic scholarships but you take a personal shot at them. Those cats have played an integral part in making Auburn the best University in the state of Alabama. Most give generously with little fanfare. Go check out the new vet school. It was not a bunch of high school football players that financed it. Read the long list of graduates who received academic scholarships from donors. Plus, what message are you trying to send to future recruits. Hey, come on down, create trouble, assault a teammate, get kicked off and we will still help you get to the NFL. Are those the guys you want to recruit?

I'll use your word.

Wow.

I was not aware he stayed in class after his dismissal from the football team and the loss of his scholarship. Good for him. What is he studying? Even so Pro Day is an extension of the football program and to my knowledge is not open to the general student population.

Colleges are business. They file tax returns, follow the laws of employment, deal with OSHA and the NLRB. I don't know how to respond to it being infinite punishment not to allow his presence at pro day. Mr. Williams was given every chance to succeed but decided not to take them. There are consequences to decisions. By the way their #1 priority, as with any school, is the safety of the students.

Common for people who are kicked off of the team after assaulting another player?

The right of refusal is a decision. If he says yes he comes if he says no he does not. How is that not a decision? You are so far in left field that there is no point in continuing to tell you how mistaken you are regardless of your HR hat.

It is interesting that you not only feel that high school football players are more important than those who donate both small and large sums of money for buildings, research, professorships and academic scholarships but you take a personal shot at them. Those cats have played an integral part in making Auburn the best University in the state of Alabama. Most give generously with little fanfare. Go check out the new vet school. It was not a bunch of high school football players that financed it. Read the long list of graduates who received academic scholarships from donors. Plus, what message are you trying to send to future recruits. Hey, come on down, create trouble, assault a teammate, get kicked off and we will still help you get to the NFL. Are those the guys you want to recruit?

So... per your statements...

Duke is not a kid, he's a 22 year old man who should never be given any opportunity by anyone affiliated with Auburn, ever again, because he did something that was bad enough to get kicked off the team.

Conversely, Dampeer is just a kid so he should have no say at all as to whether he should have to potentially face someone who assaulted him.

The fact that Duke hit Dampeer, in a bar, when he was probably drunk, creates a legal concern that he might hit him again when he's performing at pro day.

College students, though they pay money to attend school, should be treated as employees of the university.

To the athletic program, alumni with money should be more important than players.

Here is what I get from your arguments, you think Duke is trash and the world should wash their hands of him, and you think decisions at Auburn should be made in the most conservative way possible, with no regard what so ever given toward compassion for the students.

Yea, we're never going to agree on pretty much anything. I care too much about people to look at the world the way you do.

I'm sure it was more... "X. Duke has asked to participate and I'm going to tell him he can, but I want to make sure that it wouldn't cause you any concern before I did."

Yup

Hah! This is the internet, bro, where incredibly complex and nuanced situations can be encapsulated in one short sentence or out of context quote.

Lol!

I hate to keep this going but i think Duke was kicked out of Auburn.

I looked it up and saw nothing that said he was kicked out of school. I have no reason to believe he stayed, since he'd have to pay his own way. If he was kicked out of school then allowing him to participate in pro-day is a COMPLETELY different thing, since most people who are kicked out of school because of a violent act, are barred from campus.

I hate to keep this going but i think Duke was kicked out of Auburn.

I looked it up and saw nothing that said he was kicked out of school. I have no reason to believe he stayed, since he'd have to pay his own way. If he was kicked out of school then allowing him to participate in pro-day is a COMPLETELY different thing, since most people who are kicked out of school because of a violent act, are barred from campus.

In Gus's presser the day of the announcement one of the reporters asked if he was still in school. Gus said "no" rather emphatically. I took it as he had to pack up and leave. He may have done do willingly. Probably not a scholar.

Archived