Bruce Loves Auburn

WDE_OxPx_2010

Can't add pictures or a link to the interview on mobile, but Bruce was on Mike and Mike this morning rocking a Cam Auburn Jersey, selling the brand. I think any fears that he's leaving may have been exaggerated. He seems invested and motivated.

Check out @MikeAndMike's Tweet:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very glad to see that after all the rumors about him throwing his hat into the ring for the Memphis job etc

I think Bruce's buyout is too rich for most teams anyway, especially a smaller school like Memphis I would think.

True. Either way it makes me feel better that perhaps he isn't looking for a way out. Of course, basing what we see in the media cannot be taken too seriously but at least he was out there in an AU jersey

I think Bruce's buyout is too rich for most teams anyway, especially a smaller school like Memphis I would think.

Agree about the buyout. And what's not to like about AUburn...a great school and a fan base that remains enthusiastic despite a couple really bad seasons. You can forget the various reasons for the team's under-achievement.....after all, nobody would give an AU football coach as much of a pass based on injuries or players who did not turn out to be able to perform as expected.

This past season, Gus had some of the same key injury situations and under-performing key players as did BP (and was recently in the NC game no less) and yet is widely thought to be on the " hot seat" now....... whereas folks seems to be optimistic about BP and defending him at every step.

Curious situation isn't it? :dunno:

no, entirely different situations. Bruce is one of the best in the country at his job. Gus is still learning to be a HC at this level

BP was out of the business for a while...he has to prove that he is still a top coach...JMO

Memphis also signed a ridiculous contract with Pastner, They'll owe him about $10 million if they fire him even if he gets another job.

no, entirely different situations. Bruce is one of the best in the country at his job. Gus is still learning to be a HC at this level

BP was out of the business for a while...he has to prove that he is still a top coach...JMO

I can respect your opinion. The effort and development of players proved that IMO, the future recruiting classes proved that IMO, and the attention to Auburn Basketball by our base proves that. I see the foundation being set, attitude issues and not buying into the team concept has resulted in more losses but will build the blocks of setting the foundation of expectations and attitude

2016/17 is the time that Bruce starts earning that big check JJ wrote out.

He's already earning it by changing the culture at AU.

(It's amazing how many people now post in the BB threads since Coach Pearl was hired. Some people didn't support AU BB until it became fashionable. Not directed at anyone in particular.)

Agree about the buyout. And what's not to like about AUburn...a great school and a fan base that remains enthusiastic despite a couple really bad seasons. You can forget the various reasons for the team's under-achievement.....after all, nobody would give an AU football coach as much of a pass based on injuries or players who did not turn out to be able to perform as expected.

This past season, Gus had some of the same key injury situations and under-performing key players as did BP (and was recently in the NC game no less) and yet is widely thought to be on the " hot seat" now....... whereas folks seems to be optimistic about BP and defending him at every step.

Curious situation isn't it? :dunno:/>

To even pretend that our football and basketball programs were anywhere near comparable when those 2 came in is laughable. Our football team won the national title 2 years before Gus became coach. Our basketball team hasn't even sniffed the postseason in what 12 years or something crazy like that. But yeah you keep on wondering why people preach patience with basketball and not with football. Would hate to let reason get in your way of trying to make a point....

It only takes about two key players turn basketball around. That is why people don't give up. Football is much more. You need a qb and about ten more key players sprinkled around. Gus was missing the qb. Still not sure he has it.

It only takes about two key players turn basketball around. That is why people don't give up. Football is much more. You need a qb and about ten more key players sprinkled around. Gus was missing the qb. Still not sure he has it.

While it's true a couple of big timers can turn things around quicker in basketball than football; we have not given up because of Bruce's track record as a big time winner before AU, the way he has embraced everything AU, & the way he is recruiting at the high school level.

No he doesn't. He's been a proven winner for 20 years. You don't stop coaching 3 years & become a dud. Basketball hasn't changed that much. Now if we continue to lose for some unbelievable reason then yes he would have to prove himself. His career has bought him more than enough faith in AU basketball future for most right now.

No he doesn't. He's been a proven winner for 20 years. You don't stop coaching 3 years & become a dud. Basketball hasn't changed that much. Now if we continue to lose for some unbelievable reason then yes he would have to prove himself. His career has bought him more than enough faith in AU basketball future for most right now.

Absolutely, Bruce doesn't have to prove anything.

I'd say his recruiting has as much or more impact on people believing in his future success. Next year we are slated to have one of the most talented teams in AU history. If he struggles with all that talent, then his coaching may come into question. Until that happens, no need to worry. There were innumerable reasons for lack of success this year. Next year should be night and day.

I'd say his recruiting has as much or more impact on people believing in his future success. Next year we are slated to have one of the most talented teams in AU history. If he struggles with all that talent, then his coaching may come into question. Until that happens, no need to worry. There were innumerable reasons for lack of success this year. Next year should be night and day.

I'm not sure it's a more thing. It serves as proof for what most of us already believe.

I'm not sure it's a more thing. It serves as proof for what most of us already believe.

Probably so but if you consider the returning players plus unknown newcomers it would be a good season to get an NIT bid....JMO.

Somewhere we need some consistent offense...and sure is an optimistic view to expect it from guys who have never played college ball...and guys who mostly shot less than 40%.

Probably so but if you consider the returning players plus unknown newcomers it would be a good season to get an NIT bid....JMO.

Somewhere we need some consistent offense...and sure is an optimistic view to expect it from guys who have never played college ball...and guys who mostly shot less than 40%.

Isn't this a bit of a stretch in today's game? Didn't KY go almost undefeated with 5 freshmen? I'm just saying that in today's game a freshman in basketball can have a LOT more impact on a team than in many other sports.

Isn't this a bit of a stretch in today's game? Didn't KY go almost undefeated with 5 freshmen? I'm just saying that in today's game a freshman in basketball can have a LOT more impact on a team than in many other sports.

most definitely. In basketball, kids have been playing AAU for so long that college isn't the culture shock it once was.

most definitely. In basketball, kids have been playing AAU for so long that college isn't the culture shock it once was.

KY had seven 5* McDonalds AA kids....a far cry from what we will be bringing in....and meanwhile, just look at the rosters and starters for the top teams...usually loaded with juniors and seniors....and maybe a freshman or two. The Mich Fab 5 and UK's frosh were almost once in a lifetime deals.

TAMU and UK this year have good senior leadership and Kansas with a history of getting top players does not have a freshman of note and has mostly juniors and seniors.

Just saying.....for the most part a successful team needs some good JR an SR leadership...

Archived