Bruce Loves Auburn

WDE_OxPx_2010

Just saying.....for the most part a successful team needs some good JR an SR leadership...

And we could easily get a Grad Transfer point & big to help w/ that. They are usually pretty mature anyway.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saying.....for the most part a successful team needs some good JR an SR leadership...

And we could easily get a Grad Transfer point & big to help w/ that. They are usually pretty mature anyway.

Agree...changed my view on that but we really need some points.

I don't get the whole "Bruce might leave" talk. What has he ever done to suggest this?

People listening to their bammer neighbors doing their bammer wishful thinking out loud.

I'd say his recruiting has as much or more impact on people believing in his future success. Next year we are slated to have one of the most talented teams in AU history. If he struggles with all that talent, then his coaching may come into question. Until that happens, no need to worry. There were innumerable reasons for lack of success this year. Next year should be night and day.

One of the most talented teams in history is over hyping imo, then when they struggle it's going to be a big slam of negativity. This team lacks the two most important things in basketball, it can't be dominant without them. We don't have a point and we don't have a big that can score. And it doesn't have to be a big threat to score but he has to be some type of threat. Without that our team is too easy to defend

I'd say his recruiting has as much or more impact on people believing in his future success. Next year we are slated to have one of the most talented teams in AU history. If he struggles with all that talent, then his coaching may come into question. Until that happens, no need to worry. There were innumerable reasons for lack of success this year. Next year should be night and day.

I'm not sure it's a more thing. It serves as proof for what most of us already believe.

Probably so but if you consider the returning players plus unknown newcomers it would be a good season to get an NIT bid....JMO.

Somewhere we need some consistent offense...and sure is an optimistic view to expect it from guys who have never played college ball...and guys who mostly shot less than 40%.

Isn't this a bit of a stretch in today's game? Didn't KY go almost undefeated with 5 freshmen? I'm just saying that in today's game a freshman in basketball can have a LOT more impact on a team than in many other sports.

You're right it's not really leadership it's confidence. A team is better when they know they can compete. A team that has a couple of guys who everybody knows can play with anybody elevates everybody on the team. People will generalize that as leadership but it's really not. Even experience is mostly confidence. Once you've been in a situation you don't second guess yourself, you play faster and more instinctive. Elite guys who have been the best their entire life usually don't struggle with that, to them it's just a bigger stage to win some more. Which is.....confidence

One of the most talented teams in history is over hyping imo, then when they struggle it's going to be a big slam of negativity. This team lacks the two most important things in basketball, it can't be dominant without them. We don't have a point and we don't have a big that can score. And it doesn't have to be a big threat to score but he has to be some type of threat. Without that our team is too easy to defend

Cole is on point. If we had a big that was a consistent scoring threat that opens things up for the guards & wings to do their thing, which is the antithesis of an ideal Pearl offense.

Cole is on point. If we had a big that was a consistent scoring threat that opens things up for the guards & wings to do their thing, which is the antithesis of an ideal Pearl offense.

As the season wore on, Spncer became much more of a scoring threat. You could see how much he had worked on that jump hook and he was getting fairly effective with it. I expect him to be a threat next year..

Do you guys not see potential for Spencer to develop into a threat? His offensive games took huge strides throughout this year. I could see him becoming a 15-10 guy consistently. What are your opinions?

I posted before I saw jareds post. My bad.

Do you guys not see potential for Spencer to develop into a threat? His offensive games took huge strides throughout this year. I could see him becoming a 15-10 guy consistently. What are your opinions?

Definitely possible & nothing in my post implied otherwise. I was just saying we need that threat whether we develop it from what we have or recruit it.

Dunans is probably the best offensive threat for next year and maybe Spencer can replace the 10-12 points we lose now that Bowers is gone...but what we need are the points we lose now that Canty and Harris are gone. Brown is hot and cold ....and might be able to score 18-20 if he gets enough shots...and if we can accept his shooting accuracy.

Reed and Purifoy are the unknowns...but otherwise we will have the same lack of depth issues ...won't we?

I don't get the whole "Bruce might leave" talk. What has he ever done to suggest this?

People listening to their bammer neighbors doing their bammer wishful thinking out loud.

I was referring to multiple insider reports notably from WDE

He doesn't think Bruce leaves. He is just hearing chatter that it may be a possibility.

He doesn't think Bruce leaves. He is just hearing chatter that it may be a possibility.

"Chatter huh" ?

Isn't that the stuff we find out about AFTER a terrorist attack...that if we have been listening closely and interpreting correctly could have enabled us to avoid the disaster?

"Chatter huh" ?

Isn't that the stuff we find out about AFTER a terrorist attack...that if we have been listening closely and interpreting correctly could have enabled us to avoid the disaster?

His chatter is more valid than anything most of us would hear. Chatter may have been a poor word choice. He was told of some stirring but thinks Bruce stays.

I wasn't implying we'd have one of the BEST teams in AU history, just one of the most talented (just one of..not the most). Bruce won't have his dream team by any means, but he'll have better overall players than AU has had in a long time. We should expect significant improvement this year. I won't put a number on it because anything can and will happen...but NIT should be an acceptable minimum expectation for 2016-17 barring major setbacks like occurred this year.

"Chatter huh" ?

His chatter is more valid than anything most of us would hear. Chatter may have been a poor word choice. He was told of some stirring but thinks Bruce stays.

Maybe not.....actually...I was just suggesting that the value of "chatter" is sometimes underestimated....

"Chatter huh" ?

Maybe not.....actually...I was just suggesting that the value of "chatter" is sometimes underestimated....

Ok. I see what you are getting at now. My understanding is Bruce is overall happy but there are elements that he is not thrilled w/ but that has been discussed extensively so I'm not going to rehash it. Those elements have not changed for over a decade & I don't see them changing soon. I just hope Bruce does not come to a point some day where he sees those things being irreconcilable in his mind.

"Chatter huh" ?

Ok. I see what you are getting at now. My understanding is Bruce is overall happy but there are elements that he is not thrilled w/ but that has been discussed extensively so I'm not going to rehash it. Those elements have not changed for over a decade & I don't see them changing soon. I just hope Bruce does not come to a point some day where he sees those things being irreconcilable in his mind.

The thing is...I bet every school has "elements" that affect enjoyment of a job....that's just life. Back in the day when I had a paying job we used to joke that "this would be a great place to work if it wasn't for dealing with people" .

As noted many times...the grass is rarely greener on the other side of the fence.

"Chatter huh" ?

The thing is...I bet every school has "elements" that affect enjoyment of a job....that's just life. Back in the day when I had a paying job we used to joke that "this would be a great place to work if it wasn't for dealing with people" .

As noted many times...the grass is rarely greener on the other side of the fence.

Yes but at most places those elements are not handcuffing the coach like they are here.

"Chatter huh" ?

Yes but at most places those elements are not handcuffing the coach like they are here.

Other than requiring that our athletes meet relatively easy academic standards.....what do you have in mind?

I keep seeing all these vague references but unless someone is making him stay in 2 star hotels and restricting his travel budget...or perhaps closing the arena at inconvenient times? What's to keep him for recruiting as well as coaches at....Miss State or bama or Georgia? More than most schools, AU recruits questionable students for many sports. ....including basketball.

So, perhaps someone could name a game-changing player or two that we could have signed except that someone would not let BP recruit him.

"Chatter huh" ?

Other than requiring that our athletes meet relatively easy academic standards.....what do you have in mind?

I keep seeing all these vague references but unless someone is making him stay in 2 star hotels and restricting his travel budget...or perhaps closing the arena at inconvenient times? What's to keep him for recruiting as well as coaches at....Miss State or bama or Georgia? More than most schools, AU recruits questionable students for many sports. ....including basketball.

So, perhaps someone could name a game-changing player or two that we could have signed except that someone would not let BP recruit him.

I was not talking about recruiting specifically. I was talking about the compliance stuff. We've beat that issue worse than a dead horse so there is no reason to keep discussing it plus I & I'm sure others are tired of already rehashing that countless times. Just realize it's an element Bruce ain't happy w/.

"Chatter huh" ?

I was not talking about recruiting specifically. I was talking about the compliance stuff. We've beat that issue worse than a dead horse so there is no reason to keep discussing it plus I & I'm sure others are tired of already rehashing that countless times. Just realize it's an element Bruce ain't happy w/.

You've all said exactly nothing about it publicly. So the horse is still very alive for most of us.

Guess I am sorry about the compliance issues but I hope that is one area we don't compromise on...and if BP thinks we have to cut corners their...I predict that sooner or later he will have us in trouble ....JMO.

"Chatter huh" ?

You've all said exactly nothing about it publicly. So the horse is still very alive for most of us.

Yes I, Mikey, WDE, & others have. As for my most recent rehash of it read the last few pages of the "It's Over" thread. I'm not rehashing it anymore.

Guess I am sorry about the compliance issues but I hope that is one area we don't compromise on...and if BP thinks we have to cut corners their...I predict that sooner or later he will have us in trouble ....JMO.

It's not cutting corners. Compliance is over the top on a few things. One they have held for a decade even though it has not been an issue for the NCAA in that time.

Archived