Bruce Loves Auburn

WDE_OxPx_2010

The basketball compliance issues that have been hindering basketball recruiting have nothing to do with grades. This has been discussed ad-nauseaum in recent threads. The horse has been beat to death for quite some time now. It's no secret, it's here to read for anyone that wants to look.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People will always complain. Mark my words, if we make the big dance, and lose in the first round...people will complain that CBP needs to go if he can't make it past the first round.

People will always complain. Mark my words, if we make the big dance, and lose in the first round...people will complain that CBP needs to go if he can't make it past the first round.

That's a self fulfilling prophecy

I'll take those complaints in a heartbeat.

I think Bruce's buyout is too rich for most teams anyway, especially a smaller school like Memphis I would think.

Agree about the buyout. And what's not to like about AUburn...a great school and a fan base that remains enthusiastic despite a couple really bad seasons. You can forget the various reasons for the team's under-achievement.....after all, nobody would give an AU football coach as much of a pass based on injuries or players who did not turn out to be able to perform as expected.

This past season, Gus had some of the same key injury situations and under-performing key players as did BP (and was recently in the NC game no less) and yet is widely thought to be on the " hot seat" now....... whereas folks seems to be optimistic about BP and defending him at every step.

Curious situation isn't it? :dunno:

I'm guilty of this. However, I will justify the Coach Pearl has a proven record of success as a college basketball coach before coming to Auburn and our basketball program was in shambles when he took over. With Gus, he only has one year as a HC before coming to Auburn. He inherited a talented program that had seen two undefeated seasons in the last 10 years(i think only program to do that) so Gus took over a much better program but has for some reason or another regressed each season. Coach Pearl still has a lot of work ahead of him to rebuild the mens bball program but I believe he can get it done. Gus? 15-0 or 8-5, could go either way.

I think Bruce's buyout is too rich for most teams anyway, especially a smaller school like Memphis I would think.

Agree about the buyout. And what's not to like about AUburn...a great school and a fan base that remains enthusiastic despite a couple really bad seasons. You can forget the various reasons for the team's under-achievement.....after all, nobody would give an AU football coach as much of a pass based on injuries or players who did not turn out to be able to perform as expected.

This past season, Gus had some of the same key injury situations and under-performing key players as did BP (and was recently in the NC game no less) and yet is widely thought to be on the " hot seat" now....... whereas folks seems to be optimistic about BP and defending him at every step.

I'm guilty of this. However, I will justify the Coach Pearl has a proven record of success as a college basketball coach before coming to Auburn and our basketball program was in shambles when he took over. With Gus, he only has one year as a HC before coming to Auburn. He inherited a talented program that had seen two undefeated seasons in the last 10 years(i think only program to do that) so Gus took over a much better program but has for some reason or another regressed each season. Coach Pearl still has a lot of work ahead of him to rebuild the mens bball program but I believe he can get it done. Gus? 15-0 or 8-5, could go either way.

How quickly people forget that Auburn was making another run in 2014 until the debacle that was the Texas A&M game (I still, honestly, blame that one on the refs and some dirty play by A&M) and the following defensive collapse that I may add, Gus fired his DC over. People just look at 8-5 and say we regressed. If you look at our overall numbers, it will mainly leave you scratching your head as to how a team that had those numbers actually lost 5 games.

Curious situation isn't it? :dunno:/>

How quickly people forget that Auburn was making another run in 2014 until the debacle that was the Texas A&M game (I still, honestly, blame that one on the refs and some dirty play by A&M) and the following defensive collapse that I may add, Gus fired his DC over. People just look at 8-5 and say we regressed. If you look at our overall numbers, it will mainly leave you scratching your head as to how a team that had those numbers actually lost 5 games.

that A&M game brings back tough memories. I also remember the turnovers( first two offensive plays I think) and the blocked fg, ten point swing as time expired before halftime. We just did everything we could to lose.

Curious situation isn't it? :dunno:/>

that A&M game brings back tough memories. I also remember the turnovers( first two offensive plays I think) and the blocked fg, ten point swing as time expired before halftime. We just did everything we could to lose.

Yea, but if they refs hadn't totally blown that turnover call... orf if A&M's players hadn't played dirty to get that turnover call, we would have probably won. When A&M first joined the SEC, I was excited because of the reputation the school has for honor and class. However, after seeing what Sumlin has done, creating an atmosphere of letting star players do whatever they want and encouraging "win by any means necessary", they are rapidly becoming my least favorite team, after bama.

That is true. There was a complete collapse after A&M but Gus even admitted he should have spotted that and prevented it from happening. Goes back to HC in training.

War Bruce Pearl

• 2 weeks later...

Georgia Tech hired Memohis's coach. We're about to find out how much Bruce really loves Auburn.

Edit)

"According to sources, Memphis will pay the difference of Pastner's GT contract and his Memphis contract for 2 years and then they are done." - Eli Savoie( I'm guessing a Memphis guy)

No big deal. Tubby Smith steps right in. Bruce looks good at Auburn at least another year. Big year for him to impress!!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15201859/tubby-smith-reaches-agreement-memphis-tigers

Awesome

Archived