Auburn Gymnastics #1 Seed But Travels to Michigan

autigeremt

http://auburn.247spo...gional-44398332

Auburn's gymnastics team is headed to Michigan.

The NCAA Regional draw was announced Monday afternoon, and has the No. 6 Tigers headed to Ann Arbor, Mich. Auburn was grouped in the same regional with No. 7 Michigan, the host, along with No. 18 Stanford, Eastern Michigan, Penn State and New Hampshire.

This marks the first time in program history the Tigers have been the top seed at an NCAA Regional.

The NCAA Regionals will take place at six locations across the country April 2. The top two teams from each regional will then advance to the NCAA Nationals, which will be held April 15-17 in Fort Worth, Texas.

Top seed "playing" on anther school's home floor.? Guess the sites are picked before the teams are seeded...but strange deal IMO.

But congrats to the Tigers for their he high regard they have earned.

It must be like women's basketball. The host sites are picked, but the host team will play on its own regional if it makes the tourney. I remember the last time Auburn women's basketball was in the tourney, they were the better seed but played at Rutgers and lost to a team on their home floor. If memory serves me correctly.

Top seed "playing" on anther school's home floor.? Guess the sites are picked before the teams are seeded...but strange deal IMO.

Yup. The NCAA takes bids & makes regional site selections 2 years in advance.

We hosted the regional last year as a 2 seed while Bama was the 1 seed in our regional.

We hosted the regional last year as a 2 seed while Bama was the 1 seed in our regional.

Yep I remember now thanks e

It would be nice if the female sports were popular enough that their major championships could be held at neutral sites and still draw reasonable crowds....or they could be consistent and put the top seeds on their home courts/fields.

Being the #1 seed on the home "field" of a solid competitor is not a very good reward for a successful season. Just the way it is however.. Hope the ladies can pull off a win.

It would be nice if the female sports were popular enough that their major championships could be held at neutral sites and still draw reasonable crowds....or they could be consistent and put the top seeds on their home courts/fields.

Being the #1 seed on the home "field" of a solid competitor is not a very good reward for a successful season. Just the way it is however.. Hope the ladies can pull off a win.

Agreed. I have followed just enough college gymnastics to believe the top 6 teams could host regionals each year & sell out their arenas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats to the Auburn gymnasts on the fifth place finish today. What a memorable season, getting a 1 seed, and most of all ending the streak against the turds. Great job ladies. Keep it up and we will win one of these.

They've made major strides in the past couple of years. Keep up the momentum and build on the success. Would love to see this all across the board with the ladies and the men.

Archived