2017 3* TE Tre McKitty (FSU 12/16/16)

ellitor

If it's not in our offensive scheme to make a lot of use of the TE as a receiver, better to get an H back or someone like Cox to lead the ground game.  Not saying it is a waste of time to chase a guy like this...but what would we do with him after we got him?  

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AU64 said:

If it's not in our offensive scheme to make a lot of use of the TE as a receiver, better to get an H back or someone like Cox to lead the ground game.  Not saying it is a waste of time to chase a guy like this...but what would we do with him after we got him?  

Hopefully turn him into the next Evan Engram...

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hopefully turn him into the next Evan Engram...

Good plan but I'm thinking you would need a new HC and OC with a change of offense.  JMO  

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Getting a true TE to come to AU with Lashlee as the OC is a hard sell b/c everyone can see that he doesn't target the TE for catches hardly ever. Harris has played every game this year as our TE, and finally he gets a pass thrown to him in the 8th game of the season If I were McKitty, I would probably wait til after the season, with all the rumors going around that Lashlee may not be back at AU next year, and see if he does leave who we bring in next as the OC, and see what their history has been on throwing to the TE. This could sway his decision one way or the other IMO.

1 minute ago, ArgoEagle said:

Getting a true TE to come to AU with Lashlee as the OC is a hard sell b/c everyone can see that he doesn't target the TE for catches hardly ever. Harris has played every game this year as our TE, and finally he gets a pass thrown to him in the 8th game of the season If I were McKitty, I would probably wait til after the season, with all the rumors going around that Lashlee may not be back at AU next year, and see if he does leave who we bring in next as the OC, and see what their history has been on throwing to the TE. This could sway his decision one way or the other IMO.

I'm not sure this is Lashlee.....just thinking that Gus is a run first coach and I can't recall him doing anything but using the TE primarily as a blocking back with on occasional pass like with Lutz and this past week.     At AU, the TE's first responsibility is to block....but if he is a good enough pass catcher he might change positions.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm not sure this is Lashlee.....just thinking that Gus is a run first coach and I can't recall him doing anything but using the TE primarily as a blocking back with on occasional pass like with Lutz and this past week.     At AU, the TE's first responsibility is to block....but if he is a good enough pass catcher he might change positions.

Agree. Lashlee is calling the plays but he is working within the framework of Gus's offense. In fact, one might argue that the only reason Harris was thrown to is *because* Rhett is calling the plays now. 

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good plan but I'm thinking you would need a new HC and OC with a change of offense.  JMO  

I honestly don't know about that... get the right guy with the right potential, and things might happen. Also, I'm still to the opinion that we will have a new OC next year. There's too much selling of Rhett as a great head coaching candidate for me to not think he's ready to leave the nest.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You pretty much said the same thing I did except for the change of positions, but I still think it depends on who the OC will be, and if Gus truly lets them run the offense. If we got one that changed the run-to-pass ratio from what it is now (75% - 25%), I'm guessing to more of a 60 - 40%, and has more of a tendency to throw to the TE, would make a difference to the recruits consideration of us.

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We would throw to him some if he can catch. It's in the system to use a tight end if we have one we like as a receiver. That was the whole point of getting Rice before his ordeal forced him to leave Auburn. He was considered a good athlete we were going to use as a receiver. We took him as a commitment two years before he was ready to graduate from high school so that tells you what the staff thought of his potential.

We have signed some tight ends and H-backs for their receiving ability. We just had an unfortunate attrition at those positions with those types of players and didn't get to use them.

Rice-noted above

Ricky Parks-grades

Jakell Mitchell-death

CJU is the only receiving tight end we have signed under Gus that we have been able to keep.

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We have signed some tight ends and H-backs for their receiving ability. We just had an unfortunate attrition at those positions with those types of players and didn't get to use them.

Rice-noted above

Ricky Parks-grades

Jakell Mitchell-death

CJU is the only receiving tight end we have signed under Gus that we have been able to keep.

Yet another "Only at Auburn" circumstance. We are seriously the weirdest football program ever. 

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes... and CJ suffered from the fact that we weren't running a Tight End friendly offense when he was here. We were running the read-option with a QB who did not excel in the short-mid range passing game.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Yes... and CJ suffered from the fact that we weren't running a Tight End friendly offense when he was here. We were running the read-option with a QB who did not excel in the short-mid range passing game.

I have made no bones about it that he was not used enough as a receiver but he was used as receiver enough for a guy like Tre to possibly think he'll get some touches. Unfortunately he's not here anymore but is doing well with the Bengals.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Could you imagine CJ in this offense with Sean

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Rice-noted above

Ricky Parks-grades

Jakell Mitchell-death

The above sounds like the makings of an awesome recruiting mailer to send to the top TE targets.

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Could you imagine CJ in this offense with Sean

He would be Sean's security blanket and the leading receiver on the team in my opinion

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

You pretty much said the same thing I did except for the change of positions, but I still think it depends on who the OC will be, and if Gus truly lets them run the offense. If we got one that changed the run-to-pass ratio from what it is now (75% - 25%), I'm guessing to more of a 60 - 40%, and has more of a tendency to throw to the TE, would make a difference to the recruits consideration of us.

I'm on board with possibility of a new OC but if Gus is the HC, I would not expect to see him totally give up the offense scheme.  Could be wrong but as long as Gus is HC, the offense will be his offense with emphasis on the run.....and the OC will be using Gus's play book. ...which is one reason I don't expect a member of the Briles family to be here next year..... no matter what happens to RL.  JMO  

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm on board with possibility of a new OC but if Gus is the HC, I would not expect to see him totally give up the offense scheme.  Could be wrong but as long as Gus is HC, the offense will be his offense with emphasis on the run.....and the OC will be using Gus's play book. ...which is one reason I don't expect a member of the Briles family to be here next year..... no matter what happens to RL.  JMO  

That is possible.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Again,  offensive scheme is only part of the issue. the other part being we haven't had a receiving tight end other than CJU in Gus's head coaching tenure. You can't force a consistent game plan for players that don't have a skill set to do something consistently.

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yet another "Only at Auburn" circumstance. We are seriously the weirdest football program ever. 

Like the drummer in Spinal Tap...

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

Again,  offensive scheme is only part of the issue. the other part being we haven't had a receiving tight end other than CJU in Gus's head coaching tenure. You can't force a consistent game plan for players that don't have a skill set to do something consistently.

So, is Harris not a good enough pass catcher to be incorporated more into the offense? He looked pretty good catching the pass Sat. He reminds me of Fred Baxter with that #85 jersey. Asking b/c you know a lot more about it than I do. Thx

Archived