***2016 GT CB Marshall Taylor (AU commit 4/3/16)***

aujeff11

Miami University (Ohio) defensive back Marshall Taylor told AL.com Saturday he plans to visit Auburn next weekend. The news was first reported by 247Sports.

The 6-foot-2, 199-pounder from Cordele, Georgia, has tallied 109 tackles (78 solo) and three interceptions in his career. Last season he made 39 stops and picked off two passes in 11 starts.

Taylor stopped by Louisville Saturday and also plans on checking out Florida and Michigan State.

As a graduate transfer, Taylor would be eligible to play this fall at the school of his choice. The Tigers signed cornerbacks John Broussard and Jayvaughn Myers as well as safeties Marlon Character and Daniel Thomas in the 2016 recruiting cycle.

http://www.al.com/au...er_mobile_index

AU has offered Taylor a scholly per his high school coach FWIW.

Updated: Taylor commits to AU!

Miami-Ohio grad transfer CB Marshall Taylor has committed to Auburn. Taylor took an official visit to Auburn this weekend.

Miami-Ohio grad-transfer CB Marshall Taylor will not take visits to UF or Mich St. "I'm done. I'm an Auburn Tiger."

@JLeeAU21

"My visit went really well," Taylor told AL.com. "They showed me tons of hospitality. I feel they were just honest with me and my family from the time I got there to the time I left.

"I'm excited. Auburn's been to two national championships in the last five years, not a lot of programs can say that... I just believe in what Coach (Gus) Mazlahn and the whole staff has going on. They have a really good team and I'm just trying to come in and be another piece to the puzzle."

Louisville held a slight edge for Taylor prior to his visit to Auburn. He has canceled his planned official visits to Michigan State and Florida.

"I'm done," he said. "I'm a Tiger. I'm done."

Taylor's interest in Auburn stems from his relationship with new defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff, who recruited him at Vanderbilt during his high school days.

"He just came from he NFL, that's my ultimate dream and he can get me to that point," Taylor said. "He coached big cornerbacks like Brandon Browner. He knows how to work with tall DBs. It just felt right."

The 6-foot-2, 199-pounder is a native of Cordele, Georgia, and grew up playing with current Auburn defensive tackle Montravius Adams.

"I talked with Montravius throughout my visit and it will be cool to play with him because we were rivals all throughout high school," Taylor said. "It's going to be awesome. I got to see him play (in practice) and he's as good as advertised. He's going to have a great year. Hopefully he can a pass rush on the quarterback and I can get a few interceptions off him."

http://www.al.com/au...rshall_tay.html

6_V41sa5_C_400x400.jpg

Marshall Taylor, CB

Cordele, GA (Crisp County) via Miami, OH

Ht: 6'2 | Wt: 199

• Recruiter: McGriff
  • May graduate from Miami, OH; immediate eligibility to play for Auburn in the fall
  • Career Stats: 109 tackles, 3 INTs

2015: Played in 11 games, making ten starts ... totaled 39 tackles ... had an interception and a season-high nine tackles at Wisconsin ... also had a pick-six against Akron.

2014: Played in and started 12 games ... finished the season with 30 tackles, one interception and nine pass breakups ... had a season-high

six tackles at Buffalo ... recorded five tackles and an interception versus UMass ... had two tackles and two pass breakups versus Ohio.

2013: Redshirted.

2012: Appeared in all but one game this season as a true freshman, starting five of the last seven ... led all Miami freshmen with 40 tackles ... registered three tackles in the RedHawks' upset victory over Ohio ... recorded seven tackles at Boise State ... had a season-high eight tackles against Cincinnati ... had three stops in the season opener at Ohio State in his collegiate debut.

HIGH SCHOOL: First-team all-region and second-team All-Middle Georgia as a senior for Coach Lee Campbell's Crisp County Cougars ... intercepted 11 passes in three letter-winning seasons ... the Cougar basketball team made it to Georgia's Sweet Sixteen as Taylor starred at forward.

Bio

marshall-taylor-fa3f44eda1b73979.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for modifying the thread, E. Here is a short article from auburn 247.

As a grad transfer from Miami of Ohio, cornerback Marshall Taylor will have one season at his next stop to go out with a bang. It’s a situation similar to Blake Countess a year ago, when he transferred to Auburn from Michigan and went on to have a standout season with the Tigers, putting himself in position to possibly get drafted this spring.

“I saw his highlight tape,” Taylor said. “It’s nice. He had a good year. I’m trying to do what he did.”

The question is, will Taylor also land at Auburn?

That is to be determined.

The Tigers are one of four programs being considered, along with Florida, Louisville and Michigan State. He claims offers from each.

Following a weekend official to Louisville, the Cardinals have a “slight” lead, according to Taylor.

“I took a visit and everything is awesome there,” Taylor said.

Taylor will visit Auburn this Friday-Sunday, Michigan State the following weekend and Florida the weekend of April 15. The Gators lobbied for

the final visit, he noted.

“They had my first visit but they changed it,” Taylor said. “They want me to visit last.”

According to Taylor, he hopes to have a decision by April 22.

“The week after I take my last visit, I want a week to soak it all up," Taylor said. "I’m going to write down all the pros and cons of the schools and make the best decision for me.”

His choice will come from the aforementioned four programs.

“All four schools have been recruiting me for awhile,” Taylor said. “I’ve got a good relationship with these coaches. I’m liking them. Those are my four. I’m still getting offers. But I’m telling folks, ‘Thank you, but it’s going to be one of those four.’ “

Taylor, who is 6-foot-2.5, 205 pounds and had two interceptions in 2015, is a native of Cordele (Ga.) Crisp County. He said the Tigers have talked to him about playing corner and nickel.

He has spoken extensively with secondary coach Wesley McGriff and defensive line coach Rodney Garner, he said. Taylor knows McGriff from when he coached at Vanderbilt.

“I like Coach McGriff, that’s why I’m considering them,” Taylor said. “He’s a real genuine person.”

Another plus for Auburn: The fact the Tigers expect to have a strong defensive line.

“That matters to me,” he said. “Most great corners are only as good as your defensive line. They force bad throws and chase the quarterback — make him make bad decisions. That’s good for a corner.”

Taylor will graduate from Miami of Ohio in May. He hopes to enroll at his next stop “the next day.”

Taylor will have one year to play one season.

http://auburn.247spo...cision-44505499

Our DB situation must not be as strong as we fans think it is if we are pursuing another one-year quick fix at the position.

Our DB situation must not be as strong as we fans think it is if we are pursuing another one-year quick fix at the position.

Signing him can only help make us better in some form. Whether it be depth, performance, or competition. I'm all for it

This is the "one and done era" I guess....and better that the player have some quality experience to bring to the table for his one year...than a kid who has just played HS ball. We've found far too many HS stars who end up not ready for prime time as freshmen....or even sophs.

i am not a huge proponent of one and dones but if we have a scholly open and the player fits what we need or can use, then why not. At least it gives us some experienced depth.

Since we're now taking GT players, it tells me that this staff isn't recruiting that position the way they should.

i am not a huge proponent of one and dones but if we have a scholly open and the player fits what we need or can use, then why not. At least it gives us some experienced depth.

I've come around on this subject......for a long time had been against it....after watching Jucos like Nick F and Cam give us one good year and leave huge holes in our line-up to fill when they left....same thing in basketball.

But after seeing enough teams struggle because of a few missing links, I figure that even one good year from a transfer of some kind is better than watching a hapless freshman getting "schooled" by experienced SEC players.

SO....as you note, if we have the scholly, go ahead and bring in a couple guys who might be able to fill an immediate need.

I've come around on this subject......for a long time had been against it....after watching Jucos like Nick F and Cam give us one good year and leave huge holes in our line-up to fill when they left....same thing in basketball.

But after seeing enough teams struggle because of a few missing links, I figure that even one good year from a transfer of some kind is better than watching a hapless freshman getting "schooled" by experienced SEC players.

SO....as you note, if we have the scholly, go ahead and bring in a couple guys who might be able to fill an immediate need.

Another thing... Could be a nice Josh Holsey injury insurance policy.

Another thing... Could be a nice Josh Holsey injury insurance policy.

Big reason AU wants the kid. Have some guys in the secondary who are prone to get hurt. Very talented guys but non the less.

Big difference between jucos & GTs. We hit on guys like Cam & Nick but we had many a juco misses. GTs are usually very mature, hence having their degrees before transferring, & thus don't have the flop factor near as much as jucos have. Also Nich was not 1 & done. He was @ AU 2 years.

Since we're now taking GT players, it tells me that this staff isn't recruiting that position the way they should.

That is true @ LB but not CB IMO.

Big difference between jucos & GTs. We hit on guys like Cam & Nick but we had many a juco misses. GTs are usually very mature, hence having their degrees before transferring, & thus don't have the flop factor near as much as jucos have. Also Nich was not 1 & done. He was @ AU 2 years.

Nick F. >:D

>:D

F.

F.

v74G2e2.png

Well if we have a scholarship available and he only has one year then technically we can't waste it. The only drawback is not having one to give to a walkon?

Didn't we have some/a lot of DBs leave or transfer in the last year or so? Maybe this is the reason we seem to not have recruited enough players for this area of play! Either way this seems like a good idea if we can land him.( See Blake Countess!!!)

LB depth could play a role in this beyond the Holsey and Davis (I think) injuries. That may be why we are looking at him in the nickle spot. At 6' 2.5" 205, he could easily play around 210-220 which would fit the big nickle.

I don't think this says we are thin or weak in the DB.

If we have space with the 85 limit and we have the opportunity to get a talented experienced guy at any position, then why not?

As others have said, football players get hurt, this is good "insurance", as well as good quality depth. It sounds like a no-brainer to me.

I don't think this says we are thin or weak in the DB.

If we have space with the 85 limit and we have the opportunity to get a talented experienced guy at any position, then why not?

As others have said, football players get hurt, this is good "insurance", as well as good quality depth. It sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Right....there are not many positions on a football team where you can have too many quality players. I'm not if favor of giving scholarships just because you have a few laying around but to get a guy who has had a good career playing against reasonable competition for a few years, seems like a good move. Worst case is he could help with Special Teams and otherwise could provide some depth where we need it. Hope it works out for him.....and for AU.

F.

Both Nick F and Nick M were at Auburn 2 years. Or else it went over my head too. ???

Free from Keith http://auburn.247sports.com/Reply/Keith-Niebuhr-Reply-44518654

-We think AU has a legit shot with grad transfer DB Marshall Taylor but watch for Louisville and UF. He loved his Cards visit and the Gators' claim of being DBU is resonating. He loves AU secondary coach Wesley McGriff -- and that's a big factor.

Free from Keith http://auburn.247sports.com/Reply/Keith-Niebuhr-Reply-44518654

-We think AU has a legit shot with grad transfer DB Marshall Taylor but watch for Louisville and UF. He loved his Cards visit and the Gators' claim of being DBU is resonating. He loves AU secondary coach Wesley McGriff -- and that's a big factor.

Maybe we can get him to shut down his recruitment this weekend.

Archived