***2016 GT CB Marshall Taylor (AU commit 4/3/16)***

aujeff11

Free from Keith http://auburn.247spo...-Reply-44518654

-We think AU has a legit shot with grad transfer DB Marshall Taylor but watch for Louisville and UF. He loved his Cards visit and the Gators' claim of being DBU is resonating. He loves AU secondary coach Wesley McGriff -- and that's a big factor.

Maybe we can get him to shut down his recruitment this weekend.

It would be nice but he appears set to take all 4 OVs. Interesting note, UF had the 1st visit scheduled but changed it to be the last. MT expects to commit by April 22nd.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like MT may be more than an insurance policy to AU

Having been in the Mid-American Conference for the last four years, Marshall Taylor is ready to end his college career with a bang.

The Miami University (Ohio) defensive back is set to graduate in May and has one season of eligibility remaining after taking a medical redshirt as a sophomore in 2013. This summer he'll be looking for an opportunity to showcase his skills on a bigger stage as he intends to transfer to Auburn, Florida, Louisville or Michigan State.

"I've been doing my thing individually and I want to compete for a conference title and I want to go to a bowl game," Marshall told AL.com. "I feel like I can compete. I'm an SEC, ACC, Power 5 conference type player. It would give me the best chance to get to the NFL because it's a dream and I feel like I'm good enough to get there. Now I get to prove myself in a bigger conference and see where my game is really at. I know I can do it and I plan on doing it at my next location."

Auburn didn't recruit Taylor out of high school in 2011, but Vanderbilt did. At the time, Wesley McGriff was coaching the Commodore secondary. When Auburn hired McGriff away from the New Orleans Saints in January, Taylor was one of the first prospects he targeted.

"He knows I'm a good character guy because he recruited me way back then," Taylor said of McGriff. "He really didn't have a problem recruiting me all over again and trying to get me to be a Tiger. He's telling me they're talented, but they're young. They want me to come in and play on the other side of Carlton Davis. They didn't guarantee me a starting spot, but he said I'm talented enough to win a spot."

Auburn is looking to replace Jonathan Jones and Blake Countess (a former graduate transfer from Michigan) in the secondary next fall. While Davis is expected to earn a starting spot at boundary cornerback, the situation at field cornerback is less clear.

Redshirt freshmen Jamel Dean and Javaris Davis are currently competing in spring practices while senior T.J. Davis and rising sophomore Jeremiah Dinson are both rehabbing injuries. Last month the Tigers signed John Broussard, who is already impressing as an early enrollee, and Jayvaughn Myers, who will enroll in May.

At 6-foot-2, 199 pounds, most coaches would likely stick Taylor at safety, but he says all four of his finalists are recruiting him at cornerback. He believes taller NFL corners like Richard Sherman (6-3) and Brandon Browner (6-4) have paved the way for his success.

"You need a tall corner to go up against the Megatrons (Calvin Johnson) and Gronks (Rob Gronkowski) of the world," Taylor said. "All those top receivers are catching back-shoulder throws and fade balls in the red zone. A 5-8 or 5-10 corner can't jump up there with them. A guy with my size with my length can jump there with and make it harder and break up those passes. That's the value I bring to the table."

Taylor plans to take his official visits Auburn this Friday and Saturday. He's never been to the Plains before, but is quite familiar with the program. The Cordele, Georgia, native grew up and around former Tigers quarterback Nick Marshall and current players Montravius Adams and Tray Matthews.

"I'm ready to see everything," said Taylor, who believes Adams will be his player host when he visits. "I've heard so much about it. I want to see it and experience it and see if it's the right fit for me... They have so much history and so many great players that walked those hallways and such a passionate fan base. That's a big difference coming from a MAC school. They have so much more to offer than mid-major programs."

Despite Auburn's 7-6 finish in 2015, Taylor is confident the Tigers will turn things around this fall and would be eager to help.

"I think Coach Malzahn's an awesome coach," Taylor said. "He knows what he's doing. He's been to the national championship. I like the way he runs things. I know he runs the ball a lot so (the defense) just has to be able to hold people off.

"People are kind of underestimating them this year, but they're an SEC team so you know they have talent and they just signed a really good recruiting class again. I'm hoping they're going to be pretty good but I'm going to see first hand what they've got when I fly down."

Taylor took his first official visit to Louisville last weekend and said the Cardinals have a slight lead for his commitment. He was intrigued by the possibility of playing with returning stars Devonte Fields, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Lamar Jackson and Shaq Wiggins.

"They're my favorite right now," he said. "They are the first school I visited, but they showed me so much love and I can really see myself on the field. They have big-time players... To be on the field with those type of guys, they're going to make me elevate my game and give me the exposure that I want. If I were to go there we'd shock a lot of people."

A commitment from Taylor will come sooner rather than later. After his Auburn visit he plans to stop by Michigan State April 8 and Florida April 15 before making his decision.

"After I take my last visit to Florida I'm going to know," Taylor said. "I'll make my decision that next week. By April 22 I'll know where I'm going."

Taylor has tallied 109 tackles (78 solo) and three interceptions in his career at Miami University. Last season he made 39 stops and picked off two passes in 11 starts.

i am not a huge proponent of one and dones but if we have a scholly open and the player fits what we need or can use, then why not. At least it gives us some experienced depth.

I've come around on this subject......for a long time had been against it....after watching Jucos like Nick F and Cam give us one good year and leave huge holes in our line-up to fill when they left....same thing in basketball.

But after seeing enough teams struggle because of a few missing links, I figure that even one good year from a transfer of some kind is better than watching a hapless freshman getting "schooled" by experienced SEC players.

SO....as you note, if we have the scholly, go ahead and bring in a couple guys who might be able to fill an immediate need.

Big difference between jucos & GTs. We hit on guys like Cam & Nick but we had many a juco misses. GTs are usually very mature, hence having their degrees before transferring, & thus don't have the flop factor near as much as jucos have. Also Nich was not 1 & done. He was @ AU 2 years.

Nick F. >:D

>:D

F.

Both Nick F and Nick M were at Auburn 2 years. Or else it went over my head too. ???

I was just messing with E.

-We think AU has a legit shot with grad transfer DB Marshall Taylor but watch for Louisville and UF. He loved his Cards visit and the Gators' claim of being DBU is resonating. He loves AU secondary coach Wesley McGriff -- and that's a big factor.

It would be nice but he appears set to take all 4 OVs. Interesting note, UF had the 1st visit scheduled but changed it to be the last. MT expects to commit by April 22nd.

I listened to KN's recruiting podcast and he said UFA asked to get the last visit and that is why this date changed.

I'm all for it. Add Taylor, a multi-positional DB, to a group of versatile DBs. Roberts at Safety has the ability to play in man coverage. Ford played his best football at Nickel last year. Holsey's best ball has been at Safety. Davis is long CB. Same for Dean but with less certainty. Irvin has shown solid coverage skill at Nickel and has apparently transitioned back to Safety.

I want as much position flexibility with length and coverage skill as possible in the secondary. The idea of putting Davis, Dean, Taylor, Roberts, and Ford in the same secondary (all 6' or taller; all with some coverage skill) is pretty dang enticing.

I listened to KN's recruiting podcast and he said UFA asked to get the last visit and that is why this date changed.

LOL. I said that in my post.

LOL. I said that in my post.

Congrats E! You have reached that place in the recruiting world where people mistake your posts for KN's posts. :)

Free from Keith http://auburn.247sports.com/Reply/Keith-Niebuhr-Reply-44518654

Maybe I should always express my predictions via hopeful, dreamy expressions in the future. ;) Stay on your toes

WAR EAGLE!!!! So, how soon would he get here then? This summer?

He graduates in May, I'd imagine he'd be down in short order after.

WAR EAGLE!!!! So, how soon would he get here then? This summer?

He graduates in May, I'd imagine he'd be down in short order after.

I think I read somewhere he is planning on arriving in Auburn the day after he graduates.

Wow! AUsome!!!

War Eagle and welcome to the family Marshall!

I wonder if UF is regretting their strategy now. Lol!

It's widely held that having a recruit's last visit is a good thing. In this case it appears to have backfired but usually you'd want the last visit so I don't think they'd change anything without the benefit of 20-20 hindsight.

Wow! AUsome!!!

It's widely held that having a recruit's last visit is a good thing. In this case it appears to have backfired but usually you'd want the last visit so I don't think they'd change anything without the benefit of 20-20 hindsight.

Yep

Wow! AUsome!!!

Yep

Having the last visit turned out to work very well for AU, as we had the last visit as it turns out.

evil-cartoon-character-laughs_42.gif

Perhaps it's not always best with graduate transfers? I dunno, but their situation is a little different than the recruitment of a high schooler. This guy graduates next month and is ready to roll. I'm thinking he would want to make a decision as soon as possible. Enter AU...boom and that was all she wrote. :)

Having the scheduled last visit is very overrated IMO. I like having the last made visit & sometimes that means getting on a recruit early & blowing them away w/ a visit. When you schedule to be last you always run the risk of not even getting a shot.

Welcome to AU Mr. Taylor! Looking forward to seeing you play next year!

This is a big pickup for the D. I'm not getting over excited because it been about a decade since AU had a good defense.....BUUUUTTTTT we have a lot of really nice pieces to turn that around next year. Lets see if we can get them all put together.

I think I read somewhere it was in big part due to Coach McGriff (Crime Dog) and the relationship they have!

Archived