RunInRed

2017 3* DT Alec Jackson signs with AU (Updated)

50 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I am curious about recruiting services as to which one is the most reliable and does the best job of accurately accessing players with the star rating system. I have no idea of who this may be; However, I know we have guys on this board who have a knack for getting this right.

The answer is, none of them... They are all hit and miss.  There are A LOT of high school prospects and only so many each can focus on.  Some also have agendas in their rankings, as those change as personnel changes. That's why 247 developed the composite ranking.  It takes into account that there are gaps in how each service sees a player, often wide gaps, and gives you the ability to get a feel for how those average out. Of course, even that doesn't make up for those diamond in the rough players who just don't get the visibility to be properly ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The answer is, none of them... They are all hit and miss.  There are A LOT of high school prospects and only so many each can focus on.  Some also have agendas in their rankings, as those change as personnel changes. That's why 247 developed the composite ranking.  It takes into account that there are gaps in how each service sees a player, often wide gaps, and gives you the ability to get a feel for how those average out. Of course, even that doesn't make up for those diamond in the rough players who just don't get the visibility to be properly ranked.

Not to mention there are over 7000 high school Srs playing football in this country each year. Can't eval them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.. Why do five Auburn coaches visit a committed 3* player right after his official?

Seems like that's a little unnecessary.

Edited by Randman5000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

So.. Why do five Auburn coaches visit a committed 3* player right after his official?

Seems like that's a little unnecessary.

Why not. It's right down the road & lets Gus get his in home visit with AJ out of the way.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.. Why do five Auburn coaches visit a committed 3* player right after his official?

Seems like that's a little unnecessary.

 

Because we have nobody left that wants us to visit. This year we ran out of prospects before we ran out of time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, screamingeagle said:

So.. Why do five Auburn coaches visit a committed 3* player right after his official?

Seems like that's a little unnecessary.

 

Because we have nobody left that wants us to visit. This year we ran out of prospects before we ran out of time.

 

 

Nonsense.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

So.. Why do five Auburn coaches visit a committed 3* player right after his official?

Seems like that's a little unnecessary.

As has been stated many times this is a very weak year for Defensive Linemen so if you have a solid one you show him love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

So.. Why do five Auburn coaches visit a committed 3* player right after his official?

Seems like that's a little unnecessary.

Ummm, remember David Marshall? Ya know, the measly 3-Star defensive lineman out of Georgia that was committed to us in the last cycle before flipping to UGA. All he went on to do in his true freshman campaign was record 26 total stops this season, including 2.5 QB sacks, 3.5 TFLs and five QB pressures. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerWar said:

Ummm, remember David Marshall? Ya know, the measly 3-Star defensive lineman out of Georgia that was committed to us in the last cycle before flipping to UGA. All he went on to do in his true freshman campaign was record 26 total stops this season, including 2.5 QB sacks, 3.5 TFLs and five QB pressures. 

 

Yeah I remember him playing a bunch of games with everyone; maybe he grew up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TigerWar said:

Ummm, remember David Marshall? Ya know, the measly 3-Star defensive lineman out of Georgia that was committed to us in the last cycle before flipping to UGA. All he went on to do in his true freshman campaign was record 26 total stops this season, including 2.5 QB sacks, 3.5 TFLs and five QB pressures. 

 

Umm... yeah I remember. But this kid isn't a flip flopper or one who is talking out both sides of his mouth. I guess you missed the part where its right after his official visit. 

Which is exactly why we should be sending 5 coaches to players like Ryan Johnson, Markaviest Bryant (you know who dropped out from a visit), LaBryan Ray from Madison, Tyree Johnson (who is a teammate of a current commit) Jarez Parks, or someone we have let drop off and feel like we could pull. 

Excuse me for questioning the decision,... if you feel the need to send 5 coaches to a players house right after an official visit then why didn't we seal the deal or why did you get bad vibes on the official? Its a fair question. This isn't being critical about strategy, its about tactics. There's a difference.

Edited by Randman5000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AUMASTERS said:

Yeah I remember him playing a bunch of games with everyone; maybe he grew up.

He was such a troll. He literally recruited for auburn and decommitted not even 48 hours later.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

He was such a troll. He literally recruited for auburn and decommitted not even 48 hours later.

 

didn't he commit, decommit. recommit and THEN drop us again on like signing day?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Umm... yeah I remember. But this kid isn't a flip flopper or one who is talking out both sides of his mouth. I guess you missed the part where its right after his official visit. 

Which is exactly why we should be sending 5 coaches to players like Ryan Johnson, Markaviest Bryant (you know who dropped out from a visit), LaBryan Ray from Madison, Tyree Johnson (who is a teammate of a current commit) Jarez Parks, or someone we have let drop off and feel like we could pull. 

Excuse me for questioning the decision,... if you feel the need to send 5 coaches to a players house right after an official visit then why didn't we seal the deal or why did you get bad vibes on the official? Its a fair question. This isn't being critical about strategy, its about tactics. There's a difference.

Ummm. We did. Research before you decide to overrreact next time.

Ray doesn't like AU & would be a waste of time.

 

You do it because you get 1 visit per week for each recruit & the kid is 45 minutes down the road. It does not take much resources to do & doesn't take away from any other recruit.

 

Oh and the visit was beneficial. He cancelled his upcoming OVs to UF & the Rebs.

Edited by ellitor
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

didn't he commit, decommit. recommit and THEN drop us again on like signing day?

Technically yes but we pulled the 2nd offer from him well before then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ummm. We did. Research before you decide to overrreact next time.

Ray doesn't like AU & would be a waste of time.

 

You do it because you get 1 visit per week for each recruit & the kid is 45 minutes down the road. It does not take much resources to do & doesn't take away from any other recruit.

 

Oh and the visit was beneficial. He cancelled his upcoming OVs to UF & the Rebs.

Overreact. How about when posters jump on someone when they question a tactic. ONE of the guys I mentioned doesn't like us. It is Definitely is still overkill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

It is Definitely is still overkill. 

No it's not. Commits should be treated just like high targets...That they matter & are important to the staff. Every staff does this every year with some of their commits in January that have not signed yet.

Also there are only 3 or 4 defensive targets left on the board for 2017. They have plenty of time to get the whole D band together at a commit's place in between doing rounds to just say high on 2018 targets which is about all they can do with 2018s right now.

Edited by ellitor
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything in recruiting is overkill. That how the game is played.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets get back to the recruit

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2017 at 11:38 AM, AUMASTERS said:

Yeah I remember him playing a bunch of games with everyone; maybe he grew up.

Hopefully the early signing day will help with this. Look forward to having our coaches being able to say, "if you cannot sign right now, you may or will lose your spot."

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You Damn sure better over do it before you under do it

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Auburn and War Eagle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this guy is raw, but i watched him an all-star game (i forget which one) on tv, and i really think he is going to be very good player in a couple of years....he has the ability, just needs the normal college basics in the coaching department....good, no, very good get

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now