2017 4* RB Devan Barrett signs with AU (Updated)

ellitor

Updated (7/28/16): Devan commits to AU!

A1458_Rsq_400x400.jpg

Devan Barrett, ATH
Tampa, FL (Tampa Catholic)
Ht: 6'1 | Wt: 190

• Has AU offer
  • Recruiter: Horton
  • Recently visited AU & called it "like Heaven".
  • Athlete who AU is recruiting solely at RB right now
  • 28 P5 conference offers including 10 from the SEC
  • Former teammate of Nate Craig-Myers

247Sports: 3*
ESPN: 4*
Rivals: 4*
Scout: 4*

Offers: Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Cincinnati, Colorado, Duke, FIU, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami (Fl), Middle Tennessee State, Mississippi State, Missouri, NC State, Nebraska, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, South Carolina, Tennessee, Toledo, UCF, USC, USF, Virginia Tech and West Virginia, among others.

Edited by ellitor

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free from Rivals after his weekend AU trip

AUBURN, Ala. | Tampa (Fla.) Catholic’s Devan Barrett plans to narrow his 35 scholarship offers to a more manageable number. The No. 2 athlete needs to make a cut, and he will in the summer.

One school already holding a spot on the list is Auburn.

“For sure,” Barrett said. “Auburn is up there on my list. They will definitely be on it.”

Barrett, who Auburn is recruiting at running back, made the declaration following his most recent visit. The Rivals100 recruit arrived in town on Friday and stayed until Saturday afternoon.

“It was amazing,” Barrett said. “It’s like heaven when you come to Auburn. It’s a fun place to be and it’s definitely a place I will come to again. The coaches are great. I talk to the coaches all the time. Everything at Auburn is great. I really like it.”

Barrett met with Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton during his visit. He also spent time talking with offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee.

“Coach Horton is just a great guy all around,” Barrett said. “He’s great to talk to both on and off the field. He’s a great coach.”

Barrett was able to see Horton in action during the Tigers’ scrimmage on Saturday.

“I watched him and he’s a supporter,” Barrett said. “I like that when it comes to coaching. I also really like Coach Lashlee. He showed me the offense and the plays. It’s a fast-paced game. They play fast and I definitely feel like I would fit into the offense.”

Barrett, who stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 195 pounds, also met and hung out with several Auburn players, including receiver Ryan Davis and receiver signee Nate Craig-Myers.

“It just felt like I was at home and that is what is really important to me when it’s time to commit,” Barrett said. “It feels like family.”

Barrett plans to narrow his list in the summer, take official visits in the fall and make a commitment on or near Signing Day in February.

“I’m going to take the process slow,” Barrett said. “I want to make the right choice for me.”

From Keith

-Auburn-Gators battle for RB/ATH Devan Barrett of Florida? Maybe. He could play RB or CB. AU likes him at RB. We've heard some chatter the Gators could play him at DB -- and who could blame them if they did? He apparently is just as good, if not better, at that spot. But ... he may want to be a running back in college.

I really like Barrett. I sees the hole and quickly gets through it. Lineman like this. He doesn't wait around, he flat out sprints through the hole. I would love to have him.

Let's get this kid, give him and Woody similar numbers, and have fun with the commentators when we run the read option.

Edited by lionheartkc

Haven't seen an explosive back that we were after in a while. Hope we can get him

He sets up the defenders and his blocks well. Also I like how he sticks foot and gets north.

Reminds me of Kenny Irons a bit. Or maybe I just see a one cut guy with a somewhat similar body type and want to think he's like Kenny Irons.

Haven't seen an explosive back that we were after in a while. Hope we can get him

He sets up the defenders and his blocks well. Also I like how he sticks foot and gets north.

He definitely seems to take the most efficient route to the endzone (notice most of the highlights in his Junior film are him taking it all the way to the house).

Kenny was one of my all time favs

If we had five guys on offense that played like KI did from an attitude standpoint we'd be on a 28 game winning streak....or more.

• Like 1

If we had five guys on offense that played like KI did from an attitude standpoint we'd be on a 28 game winning streak....or more.

Same with David on defense. One of the better smack talkers of all time at Auburn.

Same with David on defense. One of the better smack talkers of all time at Auburn.

Their Dad was the best message board smack talker of all time! Those ITAT board predictions for the Iron Bowl were hilarious...70-0 was his prediction every year.

Yep. Could be the most underrated back in AU history.

Completely agree. Underrated and overlooked.

Could we have an ALL Barrett backfield one day? Woody and Devan?

Speaking of Kenny Irons, I still get mad when CTT wouldnt start Him versus GT and started Tre Smith. We couldnt run the ball, and lost. The reason CTT gave was that Irons didnt block as well. What we needed was a running back that could score from anywhere. Smith was never going to do that..but he was the Senior so he got the nod...until all of a sudden CTT realized he needed a better running back in the offense...we finished 9-2 that season i believe.

That '05 LSU game was a thing of beauty! KI moved way up my list of favorite AU RBs that day!

If Devan Barrett reminds us of KI at all, then I am excited about his potential. Sign him up coaches!

(You see how I commented on KI and then directed the conversation back to the recruit named in the OP. That's message board talent right there, lol)

If our QB got crushed because our RB didn't block correctly you might have felt differently

BC was one of the toughest, scrappiest QBs we've ever had. If I were on that team with him, I would have attempted to block a freight train for him. I loved that kid!

Go D. Barrett!

Edited by AUpreacherman22