Chuck Person interviewing for UAB head coaching vacancy

CameronCrazy

Per al.com. While I'm excited for Chuck if he gets it, IMO this would be a huge blow to the future of our program. Chuck is a great coach and a great recruiter. I was hoping that he would take the reigns from Bruce when he retired.

please include link and/or article for confirmation

Auburn assistant Chuck Person slated to interview for UAB job

20044425-mmmain.jpg

Auburn associate head coach Chuck Person celebrates Auburn's 83-77 victory over Alabama Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2016, during an NCAA basketball game at Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com) ORG XMIT: ALBIN (JULIE BENNETT)

Auburn assistant Chuck Person is slated to interview for the UAB head coaching job, AL.com has confirmed.

Person, an Auburn legend and former NBA all-star, is expected to interview with athletics director Mark Ingram and others connected to the search on Thursday in Houston at the site of the Final Four.

UAB made contact with Person over the weekend, AL.com's Kevin Scarbinsky reported. Person has been an assistant coach under Bruce Pearl at Auburn for two years and has had a strong hand in recruiting some of the top in-state players for the Tigers, including Spain Park junior five-star center Austin Wiley.

Person, 51, has also been an NBA assistant for 13 years.

Ingram said earlier this week that talking to candidates there is a possibility.

UAB associate head coach Robert Ehsan, who is serving as the team's interim coach, interviewed on Tuesday.

ESPN's Jeff Goodman first reported that Person was slated to interview.

AL.com's Kevin Scarbinsky contributed to this report.

Per al.com. While I'm excited for Chuck if he gets it, IMO this would be a huge blow to the future of our program. Chuck is a great coach and a great recruiter. I was hoping that he would take the reigns from Bruce when he retired.

I'd rather he go to UAB, get experience as a head coach, and come back when Bruce is done.

Whether it's a huge blow will depend on how we progress next season. If we make the NIT at least then the recruiting momentum will continue w/ Adler, Goldon, & whoever we hire. If we don't then losing Chuck could hurt, especially on the recruiting front.

Also people close to AU basketball think CCP will take the job if UAB offers FWIW.

Whether it's a huge blow will depend on how we progress next season. If we make the NIT at least then the recruiting momentum will continue w/ Adler, Goldon, & whoever we hire. If we don't then losing Chuck could hurt, especially on the recruiting front.

Also people close to AU basketball think CCP will take the job if UAB offers FWIW.

yep

The same reasons people said Auburn wouldn't make him a head coach

This... and...

UAB has a ton of momentum right now. Higher-ups there don't want to settle for an in-state .500 SEC assistant with no head coaching experience.

In the same breath... they WOULD settle for a guy like TJ Clevland from Arkansas. The lone reason being he coached at UAB under Mike Anderson.

I think they will offer the job to the current UAB assistant Ehsan... He's a young guy, but he was Haase's right-hand man, and he's a reputable recruiter. He offers continuity to UAB.

That's it?

Yeah...that's it?

That's it?

Yeah...that's it?

Did he ever get his degree?

Otherwise, I figure...as do some others...that UAB is at a place in its basketball program that they could pull a coach from a smaller school who has some actual head coaching experience......otherwise promote a guy who knows the program...and who they know rather than bring in a stranger.

Did he ever get his degree?

Yes per Mark Murphy. Working on his Master's now.

Glad to hear it....thanks. No matter how long it takes, if for no other reason than symbolism, it's important for coaches to have their degree which gives them legitimacy when they talk to recruits about Auburn and the value of a college education.

I'd rather he go to UAB, get experience as a head coach, and come back when Bruce is done.

i'm with you 100%, sir.

I'm surprised they let Person coach at all @ AU without having his degree, actually.

Shouldn't. His track record as a player & succesful pro assistant was well more than enough qualifications for him to be an assistant @ AU.

I'm surprised they let Person coach at all @ AU without having his degree, actually.

Shouldn't. His track record as a player & succesful pro assistant was well more than enough qualifications for him to be an assistant @ AU.

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

Agree and working at AU gave him the the opportunity to check off the last open box on his resume' . Glad he did that.....opens a lot more doors for him in the future.

I thought coaches weren't allowed to coach at AU unless they had a degree.

Funny how he can go into living rooms and preach to kids how important academics are and how strong AU is academically yadda yadda yadda and then he hasn't even completed his education. I don't care either way honestly I'm not saying HE SHOULDN'T COACH AT AU, as it's obvious his basketball credentials are top notch, but for some reason I thought there was a policy in place that said only college graduates can be coaching.

Funny how he can go into living rooms and preach to kids how important academics are and how strong AU is academically yadda yadda yadda and then he hasn't even completed his education. I don't care either way honestly I'm not saying HE SHOULDN'T COACH AT AU, as it's obvious his basketball credentials are top notch, but for some reason I thought there was a policy in place that said only college graduates can be coaching.

It may be a policy but I'm sure an exception can be made for a guy who had already proven to be a succesful pro assistant coach for a number of years. He's over qualified to be a college assistant in some ways.

Posts up-thread state that he has now earned his degree and is working on his master's. Are you concerned about the past or did you not read that?

I understand the policy at the collegiate level but how many top notch college players graduate these days? I don't think this previous "negative" mattered much at all. I'm also a believer in the statement "experience should matter".

I understand the policy at the collegiate level but how many top notch college players graduate these days? I don't think this previous "negative" mattered much at all. I'm also a believer in the statement "experience should matter".

Like!

Like!

"Top notch college athlete" does not necessarily translate to top coaching prospect. Just check around and see how many of the top coaches in any college sport were top athletes while in college. There are a few scattered around and while most coaches played their sport while in college, few were exceptional athletes. And perhaps there are a few coaches around without degrees, but I bet it's a rare exception.

JMO but for a university, it is a reasonable requirement for a coach at any level to have completed a degree.....though a few exceptions might be where the person is close to accomplishing the degree and is committed to completing his or her work.

Archived