Chuck Person interviewing for UAB head coaching vacancy

CameronCrazy

I thought coaches weren't allowed to coach at AU unless they had a degree.

Funny how he can go into living rooms and preach to kids how important academics are and how strong AU is academically yadda yadda yadda and then he hasn't even completed his education. I don't care either way honestly I'm not saying HE SHOULDN'T COACH AT AU, as it's obvious his basketball credentials are top notch, but for some reason I thought there was a policy in place that said only college graduates can be coaching.

I understand the policy at the collegiate level but how many top notch college players graduate these days? I don't think this previous "negative" mattered much at all. I'm also a believer in the statement "experience should matter".

Like!

"Top notch college athlete" does not necessarily translate to top coaching prospect.

EMT did not say nor imply they do. He was just saying high level college athletes don't graduate, at least not the ones that go pro. There is no doubt that a college degree is important overall & I would never question that, but to EMT's point in this situation experience as a successful pro assistant should matter in terms of being qualified as a college assistant & is more tangible for his job now than almost any degree could be.

So some pencil neck geek that couldn't tote Chucks jock strap would be qualified to coach but Chuck Frickin Person isn't qualified? LMAO big time. Some folks are clueless.

Funny how he can go into living rooms and preach to kids how important academics are and how strong AU is academically yadda yadda yadda and then he hasn't even completed his education. I don't care either way honestly I'm not saying HE SHOULDN'T COACH AT AU, as it's obvious his basketball credentials are top notch, but for some reason I thought there was a policy in place that said only college graduates can be coaching.

I understand the policy at the collegiate level but how many top notch college players graduate these days? I don't think this previous "negative" mattered much at all. I'm also a believer in the statement "experience should matter".

Like!

"Top notch college athlete" does not necessarily translate to top coaching prospect.

EMT did not say nor imply they do. He was just saying high level college athletes don't graduate, at least not the ones that go pro. There is no doubt that a college degree is important overall & I would never question that, but to EMT's point in this situation experience as a successful pro assistant should matter in terms of being qualified as a college assistant & is more tangible for his job now than almost any degree could be.

I understand that a lot of top players do not get their degrees....as do a whole lot of not so top notch players. Pro players have every possible opportunity to continue their education....and fully paid for....as do guys who finish their eligibility and fail to make the NFL. If they want to coach college sports, that should be part of the deal. And there are plenty of guys out there of equal skill level to fill the positions with having to cut special deals.

And NoAL....as for that "penciled neck geek comment"....where did that come from? A typical straw man argument when the facts and reason won't back up your position. Thousands of fully qualified former athletes coaching college sports....BS or BA degree and all....so why do we always find it expedient to end up looking at someone just under the norm ?

I keep hoping that AU will put academics first....but it's hard to do when some are willing to look the other way on minor qualifications. Just saying, to that coach at a major university , a completed degree should be a deal breaker.

I'm happy that Chuck got his degree and is pushing forward so it's a non-issue with him.

Posts up-thread state that he has now earned his degree and is working on his master's. Are you concerned about the past or did you not read that?

I must have misread it. I thought he still hasn't completed the course work.

Why people like Noal are getting all bent out of shape over this is above my comprehension because most universities have always required degrees to coach college sports. Not to mention that Chuck already has his degree.. So umm yeah.

Why people like Noal are getting all bent out of shape over this is above my comprehension because most universities have always required degrees to coach college sports. Not to mention that Chuck already has his degree.. So umm yeah.

That whole discussion is pointless IMO, from both sides.

So some pencil neck geek that couldn't tote Chucks jock strap would be qualified to coach but Chuck Frickin Person isn't qualified? LMAO big time. Some folks are clueless.

What on earth are you talking about? I haven't seen anybody anywhere say anything remotely close to Person not being qualified.

What on earth are you talking about? I haven't seen anybody anywhere say anything remotely close to Person not being qualified.

That wasn't intended for anyone specifically, just the whole issue of having a degree or not as a qualifying factor to be HC without taking other qualifying factors into consideration. Chuck has his so that's a moot point anyway. While I'm all for academics, I don't agree with that rule and don't think it's as simple as that.

Like!

I understand that a lot of top players do not get their degrees....as do a whole lot of not so top notch players. Pro players have every possible opportunity to continue their education....and fully paid for....as do guys who finish their eligibility and fail to make the NFL. If they want to coach college sports, that should be part of the deal. And there are plenty of guys out there of equal skill level to fill the positions with having to cut special deals.

And NoAL....as for that "penciled neck geek comment"....where did that come from? A typical straw man argument when the facts and reason won't back up your position. Thousands of fully qualified former athletes coaching college sports....BS or BA degree and all....so why do we always find it expedient to end up looking at someone just under the norm ?

I keep hoping that AU will put academics first....but it's hard to do when some are willing to look the other way on minor qualifications. Just saying, to that coach at a major university , a completed degree should be a deal breaker.

I'm happy that Chuck got his degree and is pushing forward so it's a non-issue with him.

Ha, I'm the pencil neck geek. :) But I do have my degree so there's that. Ha!

Wouldnt really say worked up, just think it's kinda closed minded to require a degree for all cases. I would definitely prefer the HC to have a degree but don't think it should automatically be a disqualifier.

I'm so glad that Chuck was able to get his undergrad degree since becoming an assistant two years ago. Corey Myers, assistant softball coach, also didn't have a degree when he began as an assistant at Auburn and is currently pursuing his degree.

The plus side is that these coaches can certainly relate to the players about academic demands. Corey can also say he has a degree from AUBURN, which is a plus in recruiting.

Looks like good news for AU

@KevinScarbinsky 11h11 hours ago

Auburn's Chuck Person will NOT be the next UAB head coach, http://AL.com has learned. http://ow.ly/10dJDo

Chuck Person will not be the next UAB head coach, AL.com has learned. Auburn's associate head coach and all-time leading scorer was informed Saturday by UAB Athletics Director Mark Ingram that the Blazers are going in a different direction.

Person, who's worked on Bruce Pearl's Auburn staff for the last two seasons, interviewed for the UAB job Thursday in Houston, the site of the Final Four, with Ingram and his UAB advisory committee.

Ingram and his advisory committee also have interviewed at least two other candidates: UAB associate head coach Rob Ehsan and Houston Rockets guard Jason Terry. AL.com has learned that Terry also has been informed that he will not be the next UAB head coach.

Pearl had expressed "mixed emotions" about the possibility of Person leaving his staff to take a job in the same state, which would have them recruiting and competing against each other. Auburn beat UAB to open this season in Auburn in the first of a four-game series between the programs.

UAB has been searching for a new head coach since Jerod Haase accepted the head coaching position at Stanford a week ago.

Wouldnt really say worked up, just think it's kinda closed minded to require a degree for all cases. I would definitely prefer the HC to have a degree but don't think it should automatically be a disqualifier.

Maybe not a disqualifier but it should be required that the coach works on his degree while there. Kindve like some work places. If you don't have the certificatio, we can hire you but youre going to have to get it. It's kindve hypocritical for a college coach to stay on players about their grades without ever graduating or even working toward it themselves.

I am gglad that they passed on Chuck we need him. I think they may find out that he was the best candidate.

Archived