2017 4* WR Henry Ruggs III

ellitor

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Just don't sequester him in Florida the last couple of weeks before signing day and I think you'll be ok.

Oh I straight up guarantee no one wearing red will visit with him a few of Januarys from now.  Not in my house, anyway.  He detests uat and dink, so I think we're good there.

WDE!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda off topic:  I learned this summer UAT enrollment is HUGE.  Like 35,000 I think?  Fact check me...and Auburn has only grown by 3-4,000 since the 80's.   Obviously, we have different business strategies.  The outcome is that every decade, there are tens of thousands more bammer grads, not to mention their bandwagoners and offspring.  Not complaining, but there is a bigger shift going Than many realize.  We have nearly always been just 'family', but they are growing more folks with legit ties.  

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

Kinda off topic:  I learned this summer UAT enrollment is HUGE.  Like 35,000 I think?  Fact check me...and Auburn has only grown by 3-4,000 since the 80's.   Obviously, we have different business strategies.  The outcome is that every decade, there are tens of thousands more bammer grads, not to mention their bandwagoners and offspring.  Not complaining, but there is a bigger shift going Than many realize.  We have nearly always been just 'family', but they are growing more folks with legit ties.  

I came across an interesting article about this a few days ago. Apparently, this years freshman class at UAT is the first with more out of state kids than in state. It went on to describe that there is starting to be more tension on campus, since a lot of the out of state kids (specifically out of region) were challenging some of the Deep South norms. In other words, there are pros to their growth but cons as well. In contrast, my son is a freshman at Texas A&M. By state law, the Texas public schools can only enroll 8% from out of state. Interesting to note the different 'business models' of colleges. 

25 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

They have always been bigger than Auburn. Auburn is currently around 27,000.

In the mid '90s, AUburn had the higher enrollment if I remember correctly. 

3 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

In the mid '90s, AUburn had the higher enrollment if I remember correctly. 

I went back and checked you are correct.

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

AU has traditionally had higher admission standards and a higher achieving incoming freshman class academically based upon standardized test scores and GPA. Been that way since at least my enrollment early 80s. That keeps the numbers down slightly as well. Bammer also aggressively pursued growth beginning mid-90s.

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

He's got Bama corsing through his veins. Never really wanted to come to AU. Kodi hasn't helped though apparently.

This part is disturbing.    

1 minute ago, 1auburn1 said:

Lack of recruiting savvy, lack of football knowledge, not personable, all the above....?

He's struggling is all I'm going to say. He can't afford to fumble Justyn Ross & Jacob Copeland, 2 high 4* 2018 WRs AU is in good shape with.

Don't know if this is accurate...but Kodi's demeanor sometimes comes across as still very youthful.  If you're sending your kid off somewhere by themselves you need to be able to trust the recruiter that your son will be taken care of.  Someone older or seemingly more mature can be better equipped to ease the minds of moms.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

He's struggling is all I'm going to say. He can't afford to fumble Justyn Ross & Jacob Copeland, 2 high 4* 2018 WRs AU is in good shape with.

With Auburn's young receiver group, I never understood why Malzahn did not get an experienced Wide Receiver Coach. burns had one year WR Coach experience. Got him from Arizona St. where he was hired to coach RB's. 

Sounds like they need to send Kodi to some seminars by Dale Carnegie or Anthony Robbins.  Seriously.  Some people are natural salesman, but some need to be trained.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

This x 1M!!! Right now, we are high on their lists. A positive turn of next season with CCL and a more prolific passing game will go far but he can't F it up.

44 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

This x 1M!!! Right now, we are high on their lists. A positive turn of next season with CCL and a more prolific passing game will go far but he can't F it up.

geez. No pressure on that young coach huh? :))

52 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yeah I wouldn't want to be a big time coach in the SEC, but that's what he signed up for.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Same pressure on all coaches young or old. You produce or you are replaced. just like in the real world outside of college sports.

when you accept the paycheck, you accept what AuburnNTexas said, "you produce or you are replaced."  Training helps, but we really need a 'lock down' recruiter.

35 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Same pressure on all coaches young or old. You produce or you are replaced. just like in the real world outside of college sports.

X100000000000000000

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

when you accept the paycheck, you accept what AuburnNTexas said, "you produce or you are replaced."  Training helps, but we really need a 'lock down' recruiter.

Auburn ain't suppose to be the place you cut your teeth at. 

Just now, aufan57 said:

Auburn ain't suppose to be the place you cut your teeth at. 

I totally concur!  Kodi is an Auburn man, but that doesn't mean he is ready for what is expected.  We need that lock down recruiter.  DC got us back into the Mobile area after being shutout for quite a while. Got to be able to sell yourself, the program, the 'family' and the university to the player and his family.  Tough gig to do well.  And we need 'great', not 'well'.  Got to have players to compete against that other school.

7 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I totally concur!  Kodi is an Auburn man, but that doesn't mean he is ready for what is expected.  We need that lock down recruiter.  DC got us back into the Mobile area after being shutout for quite a while. Got to be able to sell yourself, the program, the 'family' and the university to the player and his family.  Tough gig to do well.  And we need 'great', not 'well'.  Got to have players to compete against that other school.

So why bring Kodi back knowing Craig was a great recruiter before he left? Malzahn knows that recruiting is 1B in priorities right along side winning. He assumed he would be great recruiter? Is it possible that it is hard for Kodi to recruit WRs this year because of all of our FR talent and recruits know this too and want instant playing time?

I did say you don't produce you are replaced. Since Kodi is here and I think it takes any recruiter a season or two to build relationships next year he has to produce and show he is making relationships with some younger players for down the road. Young receivers from last year need to show out and we need a couple of very good receivers in next years class. Any coach you hire needs an honest chance to prove they can cut the mustard.

And for Kodi, Auburn and the recruits, let's hope he is awesome.  Like pointed out above - we had the top receiving corps in the country last year.  Hard to recruit with those freshmen sitting there.  And I will say this, except for one guy (not mentioning names), the receivers did a much better catching the ball this year.  2015 seemed awful.  Just my perception.  Kodi gets all that credit.

Archived