2017 4* Juco WR Brandon Martin (Arkansas 12/14/16)

ellitor

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Kodi in on this one?

Can't be. Just a few days ago we were reading that Kodi is chopped liver on the recruiting trail. It must have been Lashlee Garner Gus. Darnit! The Auburn campus recruited him by itself! Just ask around, they'll tell you that we don't have anybody on the staff that is capable of recruiting this guy.

DC just flexed his recruiting muscle.

Does LSU even want him or is CDC just showing off? They have not wanted him before now.

Guess LSU wants him now. I'm not sure.

If they do, I'd love to see them explain with a straight face how he's going to get so many more opportunities with Les's leather helmet offense than he would at Auburn.

Their average NCAA ranking in passing yardage from 2010-2015 is 95.7 out of 120+. They average roughly 184 yds per game. Auburn, who seems to be stuck with the "running team" moniker by comparison, has an average ranking of 95.5. Average yardage: 184 yds.

If LSU is trying to pitch some idea that he'll be targeted more there than at Auburn under Gus, facts don't bear that out.

1. Didn't KN mention that LSU would become a player if they showed interest? DC is a damn good recruiter, but if he grew up in Louisiana and always wanted to play for LSU, idk if it would've mattered who they had recruiting him.

2. Could this and the news that we are high on Kirk Merritt's list be connected? We signed a lot of talented receivers this year. Young, but talented. Is it possible that we aren't looking for a specific type of receiver, we're just looking for the "Best Available" prospect? If so, the staff may feel that Merritt fills a position of need more than Martin.

Nate Craig-Myers - 6'2", 204 lbs

Kyle Davis - 6'2", 219 lbs

Marquis McClain - 6'2", 208 lbs

Eli Stove - 6'0", 177 lbs

Now look at the 2 prospects:

Kirk Merritt - 5'11", 205 lbs

Brandon Martin - 6'4", 205 lbs

Martin would definitely provide a height advantage, but he would definitely fit into the "Possession Receiver" niche. Merritt is smaller, but he is definitely quicker than Martin and has already been successful in D-1 college ball. He fits more into the "Slot Speedster Receiver" niche.

TL;DR - Yes, it always is disappointing losing a commit (especially one that is 6'4") but he may just not fill the need that we have right now.

I don't think LSU is a factor at all here atm. LSU mods have not said 1 word about BM and many LSU fans on LSU 247 are saying in free posts that LSU has not recruited BM and they would be surprised if they are now since they have 1 WR spot left & it's for a slot type.

I don't think LSU is a factor at all here atm. LSU mods have not said 1 word about BM and many LSU fans on LSU 247 are saying in free posts that LSU has not recruited BM and they would be surprised if they are now since they have 1 WR spot left & it's for a slot type.

So who do you think it is? Is this just REC nega-recruiting or is there another player coming on strong?

2. Could this and the news that we are high on Kirk Merritt's list be connected?

No. They are recruited for different spots. BM is recruited as an outside Sammie WR & KM is a slot guy to AU.

Was Kodi in on this one?

Can't be. Just a few days ago we were reading that Kodi is chopped liver on the recruiting trail. It must have been Lashlee Garner Gus. Darnit! The Auburn campus recruited him by itself! Just ask around, they'll tell you that we don't have anybody on the staff that is capable of recruiting this guy.

DC just flexed his recruiting muscle.

Does LSU even want him or is CDC just showing off? They have not wanted him before now.

Guess LSU wants him now. I'm not sure.

If they do, I'd love to see them explain with a straight face how he's going to get so many more opportunities with Les's leather helmet offense than he would at Auburn.

Their average NCAA ranking in passing yardage from 2010-2015 is 95.7 out of 120+. They average roughly 184 yds per game. Auburn, who seems to be stuck with the "running team" moniker by comparison, has an average ranking of 95.5. Average yardage: 184 yds.

If LSU is trying to pitch some idea that he'll be targeted more there than at Auburn under Gus, facts don't bear that out.

Might be the fact that LSU WR's run NFL type wheel trees and have been successful at the next level, kinda an easy sell for a WR with NFL aspirations. bama has been rolling in top WR's ever since Julio. If Sammie and Rico have a couple of great seasons KB's job will get easier, if half of the freshman pan out after that look out. I also do believe that Gus is gonna or already has increased the wheel routes within his offense to give his receivers an advantage at the line of scrimmage.

Martin would definitely provide a height advantage, but he would definitely fit into the "Possession Receiver" niche.

I don't understand this. Can you elaborate?

Are really long, fast guys who can stretch the field and high point the ball really well automatically considered "possession receivers"? Maybe I don't understand what a possession receiver is. Is it even really a genuine "niche"? Honest questions.

Might be the fact that LSU WR's run NFL type wheel trees and have been successful at the next level, kinda an easy sell for a WR with NFL aspirations.

Excellent point. They're a freaking NFL WR farm.

Martin would definitely provide a height advantage, but he would definitely fit into the "Possession Receiver" niche.

I don't understand this. Can you elaborate?

Are really long, fast guys who can stretch the field and high point the ball really well automatically considered "possession receivers"? Maybe I don't understand what a possession receiver is. Is it even really a genuine "niche"? Honest questions.

Yeah man, he's a 4.37 possession receiver. Duh. :)

Watch DC do his best to get other Auburn commits to flip as time goes on. Gus messed up big time by not naming Craig as OC and letting Lashlee go.

So who do you think it is? Is this just REC nega-recruiting or is there another player coming on strong?

Let me preface this and be clear to the board by saying this is not a rumor so please don't go spreading it as such. This is a possibility.

Now let's work with what we know. 1. We know that Gus feels very strong that to take a Juco the recruit needs to be an EE. He has taken Jucos that are not EEs but he highly prefers not to. 2. We also know BM says he decommitted to focus on grades. If 2 is indeed true then it may be that BM is struggling to be an EE. If that is true I could see a scenario where it's possible BM & AU got a recent grade report & it be AU be the ones that backed off the commitment since Hus highly prefers Juco EEs..

AU didn't back off Martin. Just one of those things that happen. AU will be gone but Martin is a legit baller. Would have been a great addition. LSU got back into Martins ear after he committed to AU. Is what it is.

AU didn't back off Martin. Just one of those things that happen. AU will be gone but Martin is a legit baller. Would have been a great addition. LSU got back into Martins ear after he committed to AU. Is what it is.

Sounds like the Bama tactic of anywhere but AU since they are not recruiting him to their school.

So we have LSU now with Craig, Bama with Saban and Pruitt, and UGA with Kirby ALL banging the "anywhere but Auburn" drum on the recruiting trail basically?

We need to go 3-0 vs these MFers this season and shut them the hell up

So we have LSU now with Craig, Bama with Saban and Pruitt, and UGA with Kirby ALL banging the "anywhere but Auburn" drum on the recruiting trail basically?

We need to go 3-0 vs these MFers this season and shut them the hell up

I'll preface this by saying that I have no clue what I'm talking about. But from an observer's perspective, this notion that all of these schools specifically target Auburn (and presumably not others) is absurd. Alabama makes sense, but only because they are out in-state rival.

It reminds me of the Eleanor Roosevelt quote, "you wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

"AU will be gone" = typo? Or Explain?

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

2. Could this and the news that we are high on Kirk Merritt's list be connected?

No. They are recruited for different spots. BM is recruited as an outside Sammie WR & KM is a slot guy to AU.

My question was whether or not the staff felt good at outside WR with the additions in the 2016 class and felt there was greater need at slot WR with Marcus Davis graduating this year. 

6 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

My question was whether or not the staff felt good at outside WR with the additions in the 2016 class and felt there was greater need at slot WR with Marcus Davis graduating this year. 

Staff plan to take 3 at the moment. 1 of those is planned to be an outside guy.

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

"AU will be gone" = typo? Or Explain?

Likely an autocorrect issue for "good". WDE usually posts from mobile.

Archived