IMG discussion thread

CameronCrazy

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I was struck to know that the head trainer eats Fruit Loops every morning.

Maybe that was a euphemism. Maybe he tells every new recruit, er, student that he eats Fruit Loops like them for breakfast every morning. 

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Looks like a high school to me...

It is not a typical high school. It is a sports academy. That is what it is geared for. People know this. Just like LAMP is not a typical high school 

When I worked with SPARQ, We specifically worked with Allen and De Sota athletes, yet Ray Highschool in Corpus Christi didn't get these same services. Would you fault Allen or De Sota if a kid from Ray Highschool transferred to De Sota?

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, corchjay said:

Hate to put it this way but most private schools aren't developed because of academics or athletics.  They are generally created to be around like minded people.  Either religious preference or racism in a lot of cases.   I'm just calling a spade a spade

I attended Catholic School and was sent because 1. We are Catholic 2. More focus on education, discipline......so I at first I give you one huge face palm.........then I stopped to remember a private school built in south Moss Point, MS.......built mainly to keep parents from having to send their kids to Moss Point which was 90% black and had a terrible reputation......had a close friend attend this private academey that says it was common knowledge blacks were not allowed admission........think the school closed in early 1990........Catholic schools are a bit different in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Would you fault Allen or De Sota if a kid from Ray Highschool transferred to De Sota?

It depends on if it's a legit transfer. If it was a bad transfer, I would absolutely fault them. Many schools are turned in each year for bad transfers.  We were turned in a few years ago because a stud transferred in to live with his aunt because both his parents were in jail.  It was ruled a good transfer, but he didn't get to play the first 3 games until it was ruled on.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It depends on if it's a legit transfer. If it was a bad transfer, I would absolutely fault them. Many schools are turned in each year for bad transfers.  We were turned in a few years ago because a stud transferred in to live with his aunt because both his parents were in jail.  It was ruled a good transfer, but he didn't get to play the first 3 games until it was ruled on.

Fair enough. 

I don't know this as fact but my guess is that, like every other big time sports entity, TV is driving the boat.

Not that long ago HS football (sports) were not on any level of national TV aside from the occasional holiday game vs two powers in CA, Ohio, PA or TX.  Not long before that, I don't remember ANY HS sports on TV outside of local coverage, if at all.

With that said, I doubt anybody outside of the world of golf or tennis had even heard of IMG Academy (it's only been in existence for 16 yrs.) until the last few years.  However, now that ESPN has decided to expose HS football to the world of national TV, these type school's might continue to crop up and, like everything else in this country, what was "traditional" will simply become "history".... probably revised history at that...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe that was a euphemism. Maybe he tells every new recruit, er, student that he eats Fruit Loops like them for breakfast every morning. 

29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't know this as fact but my guess is that, like every other big time sports entity, TV is driving the boat.

Not that long ago HS football (sports) were not on any level of national TV aside from the occasional holiday game vs two powers in CA, Ohio, PA or TX.  Not long before that, I don't remember ANY HS sports on TV outside of local coverage, if at all.

With that said, I doubt anybody outside of the world of golf or tennis had even heard of IMG Academy (it's only been in existence for 16 yrs.) until the last few years.  However, now that ESPN has decided to expose HS football to the world of national TV, these type school's might continue to crop up and, like everything else in this country, what was "traditional" will simply become "history".... probably revised history at that...

Yep. It could happen and if that does happen then I completely understand the validity of the argument. Now, I am inherently bias haha. I just admitted to being associated with the evil empire NIKE and Sparq training lol.  With that being said, I think the biggest issue is the fact that IMG has flat out promoted that they are a sports academy. So, with that being stated, they have the best facilities, resources and they prioritize sports. It is year round with them. However, if we are being completely honest, All of us can name an "IMG" that we have encountered or seen that is a public or private school in some form or fashion. Just look at your national team rankings across sports and count how many private schools are up there, specifically in the top ten. They just don't outrightly say they prioritize sports. A lot of times these are the very big high schools or private schools. You also bring up a good point about TV marketing. Let's face it...if IMG plays hoover or Katy (Not saying it would happen) that is a nationally televised game on ESPN. That is why Grayson out of Georgia scheduled them I am sure. 

I am sure that many of you on here have young children involved in sports.  It has become a crazy, chaotic, and expensive endeavor.  Unless you were born with extreme God given talent then it is a must to match what your peers are doing.  Sports are no longer seasonal and it is extremely hard to play multiple sports today for a kid.  Baseball is absolutely year round and if your 12 YO isn't playing Travel Baseball spring, summer, and fall then he will be left behind.  Trust me.  It sounds crazy but it is the truth.  There are 9 positions in baseball and if you want to play at the high school level you cannot afford to miss the reps and experience all of the other kids are getting when you are competing with them.  It is already at the point where Middle School baseball is a complete joke compared to travel ball and most of the kids playing in Middle School are straight from Rec ball because kids get more reps and experience playing travel.  I am starting to see a big shift where kids are not even interested in HS baseball anymore because they get more from Travel.  If you want to be seen by colleges then you are playing these large tournaments on college campuses where a recruiter can see 200 college level players in one weekend.  They are not traveling to your school to watch you and see 18 kids unless you are an unreal talent.

Football has gotten just as time consuming for kids with summer workouts, pre season, the season, 7 on 7 all spring and summer, and all of the workouts involved.  If you want to play football and baseball you need to have very understanding coaches who believe in doing what is best for the kid or you better be so good that the coaches won't make you pick one.  Sadly most but not all HS coaches don't communicate well enough with each other to care about the kid playing other sports like they used to.

I say all of this because if you like a sport and you are good at it then I fully understand sticking with that sport and doing whatever you can within your means to follow that dream.  If that means IMG Academy or whatever then so be it.  I love HS football but if you don't think I would send my kid to IMG to better himself academically and athletically then you are crazy.  

Remember when NFL and Major League Baseball players had off-season jobs?

The Times, they are a changing...

2 hours ago, DAG said:

When I worked with SPARQ, We specifically worked with Allen and De Sota athletes, yet Ray Highschool in Corpus Christi didn't get these same services. Would you fault Allen or De Sota if a kid from Ray Highschool transferred to De Sota?

You know in Texas it is against UIL rules to transfer for athletic purposes and you lose athletic eligibility if it happens.  And the onus is on the player and receiving school to apply for and get a waiver if the kid isn't a resident of that school's district or living with a parent that is a resident. It's more complicated than that but that is the gist of it.  Of course I'm sure the power schools like Southlake Carroll have this down to a science, but they still have to be careful.  And I'm pretty sure that Texas public schools have agreed not to schedule schools like IMG.  That said, I don't remember what happened to Dion Sanders Prime Prep Academy around Ft. Worth.  I know they got in trouble for misappropriating federal lunch money, but not sure if they are still around.

33 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Remember when NFL and Major League Baseball players had off-season jobs?

The Times, they are a changing...

It was so much less complicated when we played as kids.  The way things are done today burns kids out by age 16 when they start chasing girls.  It was much easier back then to play sports, work a job, and live a little in HS.  You can forget the job part now if you are playing HS sports.

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

It was so much less complicated when we played as kids.  The way things are done today burns kids out by age 16 when they start chasing girls.  It was much easier back then to play sports, work a job, and live a little in HS.  You can forget the job part now if you are playing HS sports.

Yes!

I remember, my junior year in HS when it became a big deal to come in Saturday morning after a Friday night game to stretch and work out.  Even in the summer, we were only required to sign in to the weight room 15-20 times... during the whole summer.

I always started two-a-days as a useless slug.  I probably wasn't really in shape until game 2 or 3...

Just now, NorthGATiger said:

Cruel irony, given how expensive it is to do all this stuff we're talking about.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah, but there is a very small sample of schools like IMG academy that affect the game at the high school level. The average high school parent has never even heard of IMG Academy.  Bishop Gorman comes to mind as well. But again, it is hardly enough to impact highschool competition as a whole. Now, if you start seeing these type of ender's game academy pop up nationwide, then I will have a lot more concern. 

There are other schools that operate like IMG in Georgia, some are public and some are private. Buford HS and Grayson HS are public school examples. Marist used to years ago as a Private school. This is also common practice in HS Basketball as well. 

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

You know in Texas it is against UIL rules to transfer for athletic purposes and you lose athletic eligibility if it happens.  And the onus is on the player and receiving school to apply for and get a waiver if the kid isn't a resident of that school's district or living with a parent that is a resident. It's more complicated than that but that is the gist of it.  Of course I'm sure the power schools like Southlake Carroll have this down to a science, but they still have to be careful.  And I'm pretty sure that Texas public schools have agreed not to schedule schools like IMG.  That said, I don't remember what happened to Dion Sanders Prime Prep Academy around Ft. Worth.  I know they got in trouble for misappropriating federal lunch money, but not sure if they are still around.

Yep. I feel like that’s how it is at a lot of places, nevertheless , we know kids and parents find ways to have a “proper” transfer to a school who just so happens to be a power house. Understandably they have much stricter rules and regulations of course as they should. However, I do find it hilarious how the Texas schools won’t play IMG, yet they have several of the biggest high school stadiums in the country. Don’t tell me you prioritize academics over sports if you have stadiums that cost north of 50 million dollars to play in.

37 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

There are other schools that operate like IMG in Georgia, some are public and some are private. Buford HS and Grayson HS are public school examples. Marist used to years ago as a Private school. This is also common practice in HS Basketball as well. 

Every single student at those schools is also an athlete?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Every single student at those schools is also an athlete?

Of course not.  They need a band. ;D

3 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Funny reading about these schools... Not that long ago Buford was a tiny little Podunk school and Grayson barely even had people in it much less a powerful High School.  ...it was known as a redneck mudboggin hangout with a natural waterslide...

Marist was like the IMG of the area because they were private, but our big dogs were Clarke Central, in Athens (who fed thUga), Warner Robins and Valdosta down in South Georgia (AU has had some luck with them in the past).  Rumors were always rampant about how those schools would find some "distant relative" that really good players could live with to *legally* attend their school.

Recruiting has always gone on...IMG just doesn't hide it.

I remember a few years back when Cullman HS got a kid to transfer in from Oneonta.  Oneonta went on to win a state championship his senior year while Cullman made their normal early exit from the playoffs.  Kid did sign a scholarship with Arkansas though.  I'm wondering if he would have still gotten that opportunity if he had stayed at Oneonta.

23 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

You don't really think that if they want a player they can't make it happen, do you?

Like Mikey said, the 4's & 5's will probably never have to pay.

All I know it their own marketing says that they don't have a lot of scholarship money available. Usually schools hype the exact opposite in order to entice top kids who can't afford to go. One would assume that they could carry anyone they wanted, but then why would they advertise that they couldn't? 

I guarantee you that 4 & 5 stars who can afford to pay, have to pay. They definitely aren't running a charity.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Yep. I feel like that’s how it is at a lot of places, nevertheless , we know kids and parents find ways to have a “proper” transfer to a school who just so happens to be a power house. Understandably they have much stricter rules and regulations of course as they should. However, I do find it hilarious how the Texas schools won’t play IMG, yet they have several of the biggest high school stadiums in the country. Don’t tell me you prioritize academics over sports if you have stadiums that cost north of 50 million dollars to play in.

Good points. I seem to remember an article about Texas and the IMG thing. I think Texas had  more of a thumbs down on what entities like IMG do to team chemistry. Their beef was that it was wrong for kids to play together in high school and have a chance to compete for a championship, then have IMG swoop in a steal a player to go be a mercenary for a year or two. By not playing them, they feel like they are not promoting their growth in Texas. However it is, we sure have complicated youth and high school sports. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good points. I seem to remember an article about Texas and the IMG thing. I think Texas had  more of a thumbs down on what entities like IMG do to team chemistry. Their beef was that it was wrong for kids to play together in high school and have a chance to compete for a championship, then have IMG swoop in a steal a player to go be a mercenary for a year or two. By not playing them, they feel like they are not promoting their growth in Texas. However it is, we sure have complicated youth and high school sports. 

Just Google THSCA and IMG

7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

very true

Archived